Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wallace Wirefly

LL Generate Revenue..name change?..commisions?..OR..

Recommended Posts

Okay so now we have a name change game. Before we had a rise in membership fees and larger commissions on MP and buying/selling $L. Well lets try something that might generate some revenue. Lets allow the ONE time transfer of inventory. Yes there are people who have given up on accounts. Some with years worth of inventory. Ohhh spent a lot of $L in doing so. So LL lets allow those who desire to "make the change" the ability to decide to move inventory. Now there are those especially creators who would say...wtf! Nooo way. I would loose sales....this is MY creation etc etc. Ok lets look at TOS it says: " Linden Lab may, but will not have the obligation to, display, maintain, or otherwise make use of, any of your User Content, and Linden Lab may, in its sole discretion, modify, delete, or otherwise make use of User Content without notice or any liability to you or any third party. " and " Except as otherwise described in our Privacy Policy or any Additional Terms we provide to you, you agree that (i) your User Content will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary and will not be returned, and (ii) Linden Lab does not assume any obligation of any kind to you or any third party with respect to your User Content. " So now that we know LL is god lets look at this idea.

This would be allowed ONE TIME ONLY. At a cost AND a LIMIT as to how much one can transfer. How much...well how much would one pay to transfer say...5..8..10 thousand inventory items?? That would have to be determined. Not cheap one would think BUT within reason. As well as the number of items maybe it could be a sliding scale from 1000-10000. Remember it's a ONE TIME purchase. SO think hard before making that move. As for creators there might be a small drop in sales BUT as many know one can never have enough shoes,hair,body parts,beds,houses..etc. I think it would be OK. In fact it would maybe keep more people here in SL to get that latest house or rent that land again. So people ...waves to LL.. how about a revenue generator that just might help make Land prices cheaper and draw even more people to this STILL the biggest Virtual people content maker place on the Matrix 😁. The floor is now open for discussion. Have a great and Happy New year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Wallace Wirefly said:

Okay so now we have a name change game. Before we had a rise in membership fees and larger commissions on MP and buying/selling $L. Well lets try something that might generate some revenue. Lets allow the ONE time transfer of inventory. Yes there are people who have given up on accounts. Some with years worth of inventory. Ohhh spent a lot of $L in doing so. So LL lets allow those who desire to "make the change" the ability to decide to move inventory. Now there are those especially creators who would say...wtf! Nooo way. I would loose sales....this is MY creation etc etc. Ok lets look at TOS it says: " Linden Lab may, but will not have the obligation to, display, maintain, or otherwise make use of, any of your User Content, and Linden Lab may, in its sole discretion, modify, delete, or otherwise make use of User Content without notice or any liability to you or any third party. " and " Except as otherwise described in our Privacy Policy or any Additional Terms we provide to you, you agree that (i) your User Content will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary and will not be returned, and (ii) Linden Lab does not assume any obligation of any kind to you or any third party with respect to your User Content. " So now that we know LL is god lets look at this idea.

This would be allowed ONE TIME ONLY. At a cost AND a LIMIT as to how much one can transfer. How much...well how much would one pay to transfer say...5..8..10 thousand inventory items?? That would have to be determined. Not cheap one would think BUT within reason. As well as the number of items maybe it could be a sliding scale from 1000-10000. Remember it's a ONE TIME purchase. SO think hard before making that move. As for creators there might be a small drop in sales BUT as many know one can never have enough shoes,hair,body parts,beds,houses..etc. I think it would be OK. In fact it would maybe keep more people here in SL to get that latest house or rent that land again. So people ...waves to LL.. how about a revenue generator that just might help make Land prices cheaper and draw even more people to this STILL the biggest Virtual people content maker place on the Matrix 😁. The floor is now open for discussion. Have a great and Happy New year.

Meh - just about anything in my main avatar's inventory is either trans, old, or just unused, so even if I wanted to change.  There are a very limited number of no trans items on my (older) Tolya avatar that I'd like to transfer, but it's mainly art, and if I want it, I can just log in Tolya and set it out.

I don't see your suggestion as being something I'd spend money on, but I'm all for ideas for LL to generate more revenue when it's voluntary for the user.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Wallace Wirefly said:

Now there are those especially creators who would say...wtf! Nooo way. I would loose sales....this is MY creation etc etc. Ok lets look at TOS it says: " Linden Lab may, but will not have the obligation to, display, maintain, or otherwise make use of, any of your User Content, and Linden Lab may, in its sole discretion, modify, delete, or otherwise make use of User Content without notice or any liability to you or any third party. " and " Except as otherwise described in our Privacy Policy or any Additional Terms we provide to you, you agree that (i) your User Content will be treated as non-confidential and non-proprietary and will not be returned, and (ii) Linden Lab does not assume any obligation of any kind to you or any third party with respect to your User Content. " So now that we know LL is god lets look at this idea.

And now every single creator in SL has packed up and left because LL god-modded their items and the plug gets pulled on the servers and congratulations, you've just killed Second Life. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Not always for me... It depends on what it is.....

Always,  I do not buy no mod,  gifts that are no mod people send me, are instantly deleted.   I like redoing textures and adjusting,  I am not using resizers, because of how they tend to work.  tweaking is what I do best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 5:21 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

You know what I do with all my no trans stuff? DELETE.

That's what always seems to happen with my no copy stuff, automatically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'm really glad Ebbe started looking at revenue from inworld cash flow.  There have been too many freeloaders in SL for too long, because of the primarily land-based legacy revenue model. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, Tolya Ugajin said:

Meh - just about anything in my main avatar's inventory is either trans, old, or just unused, so even if I wanted to change.  There are a very limited number of no trans items on my (older) Tolya avatar that I'd like to transfer, but it's mainly art, and if I want it, I can just log in Tolya and set it out.

I don't see your suggestion as being something I'd spend money on, but I'm all for ideas for LL to generate more revenue when it's voluntary for the user.

Reminds me of a friend (also a performer) who's currently locked out of SL and wished he made some stuff xferable so he could use them on his back-up alt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Reminds me of a friend (also a performer) who's currently locked out of SL and wished he made some stuff xferable so he could use them on his back-up alt.

If your friend was the creator of said stuff, they weren't very bright. I give full perms copies of all stuff I create to my alt and vice-versa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

If your friend was the creator of said stuff, they weren't very bright. I give full perms copies of all stuff I create to my alt and vice-versa. 

I do that same. But he didn't expect to have a dispute with LL that would end up getting his account suspended. He has lodged a support ticket and waiting....

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Brain getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Personally, I'm really glad Ebbe started looking at revenue from inworld cash flow.  There have been too many freeloaders in SL for too long, because of the primarily land-based legacy revenue model. 

And yet, those 'Freeloaders' have more power to get LL to bend the knee than the premium members because those freeloaders are the ones that prop up the SL economy more. There is a reason why, when there was an outcry over group numbers being reduced and more given to premium, Tilia etc, etc, LL reversed their policies.

Also if you think there wont be flow on effects from inworld revenue systems LL introduce your are kidding yourself. Event Calendar fee changes will see more venues taking those fees from dancers/staff and performers tips. MP items will see a rise in costs to absorb the extra fee (already happening with creators stating they have already done this) which also happened with the last hike. Even the increase in the Linden processing fee saw people who would regularly buy lindens weekly change to buying lindens monthly and the mesh upload fee moved many more creators to uploading to the beta grid first and then once to the main grid.

There is no way these minor fee increases are going to remove LL reliance on land based revenue. As for transference of inventory to other alts or mains, never going to happen as it will impact on the economy as well as retention of content creators who will be up in arms about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I see no reason to not have a feature to link our alts and make inventory account bound.

It has NOT hurt monetization in any other MMO platform. Often it has helped it. People are more likely to buy things that can be shared between all of their alts.

As for reliance on land...

I suspect Marketplace tax already generates more revenue than estates... and that number 2 in revenue is the subscription fee on non-free-to-play players (premium) of this MMO.

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I see no reason to not have a feature to link our alts and make inventory account bound.

It has NOT hurt monetization in any other MMO platform. Often it has helped it. People are more likely to buy things that can be shared between all of their alts.

As for reliance on land...

I suspect Marketplace tax already generates more revenue than estates... and that number 2 in revenue is the subscription fee on non-free-to-play players (premium) of this MMO.

 

Not sure if you were responding to what I said. Probably weren't but oh well, ill respond anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to share inventory items across accounts and that is why I didn't mention that aspect in my post. It would be good for SL as well and is different in what the OP is implying. I am not, in favor of a once off paid transfer of inventory as the OP suggests. What the OP suggests will cause a backlash as LL will be enforcing aspects of their ToS to implement a chargeable service for profit which, despite the op's suggestion, is not what the ToS areas he quoted represent or imply. What he suggest will hurt monetisation due to creators leaving. A sharable account (linked alt) bound inventory would I would dare say be favourable to creators as well.

As far as marketplace tax generating more than land revenue, you are probably correct, but the minor fees that LL have proposed I think are not so much a profit move but more a move to resolve ongoing abuse issues. Will it give them extra profit, yes but not enough to remove reliance on Tier of which it will be interesting to see the uptake on super premium and whether that finally breaks the reliance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yeah I think what they really need is a way to merge 'X number of avatars' into a super-account...

A -LOT- of so-called "free to play" MMOs do this: a free account gets 1 avatar per account, a paid one gets X and they share inventory through some kind of bank or collective backpack or whatever (because those are MMOs)...
- those games then often sell outfits and vehicles on cash shops... and people prefer to buy the ones that are account bound because they can get more use out of them...

Far from killing commerce it becomes a gimmick to increase sales.

 

Charging a few everytime you wanted to move items though - that would be seen as predatory... I think there may be an MMO or two that has tried that, and it's generally fallen on intensely hostile ears.

 

The only reason I think the MP tax generates so much is because SL has shifted over time from a "game of sandboxing on your land" to one of playing Barbie in your prefab house... people shop like crazy now, and live on linden homes... The tax slowly drains out the money, and so somebody has to hit that 'buy L$ button...' and... most of us are NOT merchants or at least not merchants making real-life volumes of cash... so if you shop a lot, you probably hit that button... or you sell a lot to someone else that does...

We could actually figure out how much they make off estates vs. a guess at premium. Someone counts the estates, so that can be put into a calculator. Premium... is we pretend that 100% of premiums have a linden home (I wager many do not), then assume they are ALL annual (I wager 2/3rds are not...), and assume 100% of then renewed their annual this last month (I didn't, and I'm also not annual)... then that's $89/year per linden home... The NEW homes are between 10,000-30,000. The old ones more but maybe half empty...

- but you can see they're making a couple million a year on that... and I am likely lowballing that dramatically.

Would be interesting to try and make a serious guess...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah I think what they really need is a way to merge 'X number of avatars' into a super-account...

A -LOT- of so-called "free to play" MMOs do this: a free account gets 1 avatar per account, a paid one gets X and they share inventory through some kind of bank or collective backpack or whatever (because those are MMOs)...
- those games then often sell outfits and vehicles on cash shops... and people prefer to buy the ones that are account bound because they can get more use out of them...

Far from killing commerce it becomes a gimmick to increase sales.

Here's an idea...

They could try this in limited forum...

Imagine (this is based on some MMOs):

Premium Master Account:

- you can move 10 items a month into 'account bound' - these items will be shareable between all connected accounts.

- Shared inventory is a test feature, that will go away in 3 months... after which 1 month will be used to access it's positive or negative impact on commerce, and then on month 5 it may or may not return for another 3 month trial, then analysis on month 4.

- If it comes back after this it will stay, and from there the number of items you can move into the 'account locker' would double each month -that you stay subscribed- until it hit 200, after which it would become unlimited' Cancelling membership and later res-subbing resets the count (most MMOs have a loyalty perk concept of some kind).

- if it doesn't come back, the items that had been moved already, stay as such, but nothing more can be added later.

 

Other things to try:

- connected accounts use the master account's email, PoF, login username and password, and have a reference in their profile to that master.

- friends and block list are account bound.

- groups can be moved to account or to an avatar at will.

- Connected accounts CANNOT be logged in at the same time as each other. It is a single RL user allowed for them. Sharing your master account is a ToS violation that can get an account suspended.

- login takes you to a 'pick character' screen like MMOs use - you pick which one to take inworld.

 

- $L balance is shared across all accounts.

- land tier is handled by the master account.

- each master account can get only 1 linden home (this offsets the perk of shared inventory rather strongly).

- optional ability to buy more linden homes at half the price of old premium.

 

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this will ever be done, because as has been previously mentioned, it would be disastrous for content creators. However I do think it's something that should have been done right from the start.

If it had been done though, you could expect all content to be much more expensive. Fatpacks of multiple colours would not exist, and neither would packs containing fits of clothes for more than one body shape. You would buy one garment in one size and one colour, and that would cost the same as a whole fatpack in multiple colours/sizes now. 

Switching to this model would break almost everything, and could really only be done feasibly if Linden Lab said "Right we are going to change to this, but we can only do so if we entirely wipe out everyone's inventory of everything you did not make yourself".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...