Do you think the new Cats movie will influence how Furries look in SL?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Le Miz is one of the main reasons I hate musicals -- at least modern ones. I went to see it live about 20 years ago, and have never felt so emotionally manipulated in my entire life. I burst into tears about 4 times during the production, resenting it each and every time with a fiery hatred. When the ghost of Fantine suddenly enters in the grand finale, I caught my breath and just sobbed uncontrollably for the next 5 minutes. I wanted to sue the playwrights for emotional and psychological abuse.

And then, six months later, I was gifted tickets to see it again -- and, once again, walked out of the theatre a sodden, heaving mess.

The one really good part of the play is when Gavroche gets shot. If a soldier hadn't got him, I would have. The second time I saw the play, I had to be all but restrained from crawling onto the stage and throttling him myself.

You hate musicals?  What about "Chicago" - that was a great musical with some real SJW moments, like it's commentary on the death penalty.

Or do you mean you just cannot handle them because they draw out so much emotion from you?  Which one would think is a good thing?

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

(But you'd have to tie me down and sedate me to make me watch The Sound of Music. Sorry! 😞 )

That's OK, you're forgiven, because your other choices were great ones.

I think Webber's music is much too repetitive.  The same eight or ten bars, over and over and over.  It worked fantastically for JCS, because rock is like that.  Not so much for his other, better known works.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You hate musicals?  What about "Chicago" - that was a great musical with some real SJW moments, like it's commentary on the death penalty.

I don't know Chicago that well, tbh. I should probably give it a go, although I do know some of the songs, somewhat. And I think I know about the death penalty thing of which you speak.

18 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Or do you mean you just cannot handle them because they draw out so much emotion from you?  Which one would think is a good thing?

No, I'm perfectly happy to burst into tears over beautiful words, music, and images. What bugged me so much about Les Mis (and clearly YMMV) was that these were drawn out using cheap tricks and pathos, rather than through the production of really affecting narrative. I felt, as I said, manipulated, rather than powerfully affected. It's like they consulted a DIY book on "how to make your audience feel sad," rather than taking the effort to set up moments of profound feeling.

No one (are you listening, Pep?) has ever accused me of being unemotional. 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know Chicago that well, tbh. I should probably give it a go, although I do know some of the songs, somewhat. And I think I know about the death penalty thing of which you speak.

No, I'm perfectly happy to burst into tears over beautiful words, music, and images. What bugged me so much about Les Mis (and clearly YMMV) was that these were drawn out using cheap tricks and pathos, rather than through the production of really affecting narrative. I felt, as I said, manipulated, rather than powerfully affected. It's like they consulted a DIY book on "how to make your audience feel sad," rather than taking the effort to set up moments of profound feeling.

No one (are you listening, Pep?) has ever accused me of being unemotional. 🙂

Well, you do have good taste :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Le Miz is one of the main reasons I hate musicals -- at least modern ones. I went to see it live about 20 years ago, and have never felt so emotionally manipulated in my entire life. I burst into tears about 4 times during the production, resenting it each and every time with a fiery hatred. When the ghost of Fantine suddenly enters in the grand finale, I caught my breath and just sobbed uncontrollably for the next 5 minutes. I wanted to sue the playwrights for emotional and psychological abuse.

And then, six months later, I was gifted tickets to see it again -- and, once again, walked out of the theatre a sodden, heaving mess.

The one really good part of the play is when Gavroche gets shot. If a soldier hadn't got him, I would have. The second time I saw the play, I had to be all but restrained from crawling onto the stage and throttling him myself.

Oh Scylla, I have just the thing for you to cure you of the angst caused by Les Mis

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 12:49 PM, Polenth Yue said:

I doubt this will change all cat avatars everywhere or anything like that, but I would expect to see some avatars inspired by the movie.

I think movies do influence SL. There's a whole gatcha of "Breaking Bad" stuff, even the turtle guy, can you imagine??

I am still seeing blue avatars and RP involving Navi, years and years after that famous movie.

"Cats" is really being panned by critics. That might be a factor. But I think what Ceka Cianci said -- they look too human. SL always works better when it is not photo-real and getting "uncanny valley" but more drawn/painted or even verging on a cartoon. And I don't understand in its own terms why the director made the cats in the movie more human.

9 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

Oh Scylla, I have just the thing for you to cure you of the angst caused by Les Mis

I'll never forget seeing Laurie Anderson live, and being a bit late to her concert and coming in just when she was saying "Hello? This is your mother..."  It was so new and different then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'll never forget seeing Laurie Anderson live, and being a bit late to her concert and coming in just when she was saying "Hello? This is your mother..."  It was so new and different then.

I saw her at BAM ages and ages ago. I contend that the primitive "O Superman" video is still striking enough to appeal to a contemporary audience.

But I think we're all victims of YouTube's weird recommendation engine. I didn't get Laurie Anderson after that video, but instead Lizzo's "Good as Hell", just a different video from the one I'd listened to a month or so ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:
1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I saw her at BAM ages and ages ago. I contend that the primitive "O Superman" video is still striking enough to appeal to a contemporary audience.

But I think we're all victims of YouTube's weird recommendation engine. I didn't get Laurie Anderson after that video, but instead Lizzo's "Good as Hell", just a different video from the one I'd listened to a month or so ago.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better...

ETA: The hair I've been wearing for at least eight years was inspired by Laurie's look in that video... and by Irwin Corey...
2040539541_IrwinandMaddycopy.jpg.228193900cba5a515d61c81f0986e45f.jpg

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yes, it is still striking and my kids even like it. As for YouTube, you start by watching Maxim Galkin (Alla Pugacheva's young husband who is a comic and a liberal who even defended the Catholic Church against the ROC), you go and make dinner, and you come back and it has gone to Zhirinovsky, a raving, fanatical nationalist. Yes, I keep turning off auto-play. It seems not to stay off. As for recommendations, please tell me why on God's green earth this...this...thing... is in my recommendations. Because I watched Otava Yo? It can happen...

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

ETA: The hair I've been wearing for at least eight years was inspired by Laurie's look in that video... and by Irwin Corey...
2040539541_IrwinandMaddycopy.jpg.228193900cba5a515d61c81f0986e45f.jpg

Professor Corey, reading a question from the audience:

"Why do you wear tennis shoes?
"This is actually two questions.  The first question is, 'Why?'  Why is a question that has puzzled philosophers and thinkers for centuries, and I cannot do it justice in the limited time available to us here tonight.
"The second question is, 'Do you wear tennis shoes?'.... Yes!"

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:49 PM, Bree Giffen said:

With the new Cats movie just released to the public do you think furry creators will switch to this new aesthetic? Is this the future of furry avatars?

1088396792_furryexample.jpg.f1e5049f9e30e8054684919905de32ca.jpg

No LOL most furries and people I know hate the look, they missed the mark completely. I know you're very probably being sarcastic but still :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.