Do you think the new Cats movie will influence how Furries look in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Excuse me???

It has Judi Freakin' Dench! OMG.

And Ian McKellen! And (*swoon*) Idris Elba!!

And you want Harrison Ford?????

I can't stand musicals, and there's no way I'll bother with this one, but those three are almost enough to prompt me to go. Almost.

13 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

All three of those guys are...  a little too old to make movies other than those 'grandpa movies' where everybody goes out to the farm or pond or something and we have a tender moment with the grand-daughter that's getting married and her rebellious sibling that's a recovering addict as grand-dad resolves it all with some wisdom from 'back in my day'...

- alter a few variables and that's basically a ton of different movies...

But they're a bit too old for some kind of 'furry ballet flick' that seems to 'squick' actual furries... O.o

Damn! Look at this...my SARCASM key was turned off.

The Bruce Willis reference didn't tip its hand?

Rough crowd.

• Haha 3
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better... ETA: The hair I've been wearing for at least eight years was inspired by Laurie's look in that video... and b

Excuse me??? It has Judi Freakin' Dench! OMG. And Ian McKellen! And (*swoon*) Idris Elba!! And you want Harrison Ford????? I can't stand musicals, and there's no way I'll bother wi

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

So wait...

Did you actually see the movie?

Because we're all making fun of it based on the critics...

But part of me wants to know if it actually is as bad as the reviews state or if it's one of those hidden things audiences will love while the guys paid by the word pan it in reviews...

I would LOVE to read the thoughts of someone who actually sees it.

Some movies can look amazingly bad from a distance but actually be good... more movies are the other way around... O.o

At movie date night prices, I’ll wait for the home release but I plan on watching it. I’m hoping for the music being good maybe, even if the visuals are ‘meh’...I do like it as a musical theatre piece, I like the songs. 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:56 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Excuse me???

It has Judi Freakin' Dench! OMG.

And Ian McKellen! And (*swoon*) Idris Elba!!

And you want Harrison Ford?????

I can't stand musicals, and there's no way I'll bother with this one, but those three are almost enough to prompt me to go. Almost.

I guess i wont be taking you to see Les Mis in the Boston Opera House then...

To the thread.. There were a ton of critics that panned the Rise of Skywalker.. I will admit, i teared up a couple of times, heart strings were pulled, homages were felt, and an epic tale was ended with honor to our princess. I will be going back this weekend with my youngest daughter. She grew up watching them, along with Godzilla. Not sure what happened with her older sister though.. Twilight, Divergent and Hunger Games are her cuppa. 

ETA, i will be seeing Cats with an open mind. If you go in expecting a flub, you will most likely see one, no matter how good it actually is.

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 3
15 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I guess i wont be taking you to see Les Mis in the Boston Opera House then...

Le Miz is one of the main reasons I hate musicals -- at least modern ones. I went to see it live about 20 years ago, and have never felt so emotionally manipulated in my entire life. I burst into tears about 4 times during the production, resenting it each and every time with a fiery hatred. When the ghost of Fantine suddenly enters in the grand finale, I caught my breath and just sobbed uncontrollably for the next 5 minutes. I wanted to sue the playwrights for emotional and psychological abuse.

And then, six months later, I was gifted tickets to see it again -- and, once again, walked out of the theatre a sodden, heaving mess.

The one really good part of the play is when Gavroche gets shot. If a soldier hadn't got him, I would have. The second time I saw the play, I had to be all but restrained from crawling onto the stage and throttling him myself.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Le Miz is one of the main reasons I hate musicals -- at least modern ones. I went to see it live about 20 years ago, and have never felt so emotionally manipulated in my entire life. I burst into tears about 4 times during the production, resenting it each and every time with a fiery hatred. When the ghost of Fantine suddenly enters in the grand finale, I caught my breath and just sobbed uncontrollably for the next 5 minutes. I wanted to sue the playwrights for emotional and psychological abuse.

And then, six months later, I was gifted tickets to see it again -- and, once again, walked out of the theatre a sodden, heaving mess.

So, Les Mis did what it was supposed to. It made you feel. A really good stage show will break you down, chew you up and make you think and feel. I first saw it as a 25 year old, tough as nails, machinist that never cried in front of anyone. I was a sobbing wreck by the end. If you dont cry you aren't human. 

35 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The one really good part of the play is when Gavroche gets shot. If a soldier hadn't got him, I would have. The second time I saw the play, I had to be all but restrained from crawling onto the stage and throttling him myself.

You monster.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

And the worst: Victoria can't dance! And has leopard spots!

Wait.. what?? Victoria was always my favorite cat when I was a little girl! The one saving grace to this uncanny valley dumpster fire I was hoping was going to be the fact they at least got a ballet dancer for Victoria.

I will stick to watching this version.

Just now, Drake1 Nightfire said:

So, Les Mis did what it was supposed to. It made you feel. A really good stage show will break you down, chew you up and make you think and feel. I first saw it as a 25 year old, tough as nails, machinist that never cried in front of anyone. I was a sobbing wreck by the end. If you dont cry you aren't human.

I have absolutely NO problem, ever, crying. As my English grandmother used to observe of me when I was young, in a pithy turn of phrase that could only have been invented by the English, "Your eyes are too close to your bladder!" I sob at movies, plays, books, songs, works of art . . . And Les Miz did its job in that sense.

BUT . . . I want to feel I'm sobbing for a good reason. I resented Les Miz so much, in part because it was so effective, but mostly because the emotional manipulation was so crass and in-your-face. There's a difference between the emotional impact of something that has earned your tears, and something that has manipulated you cheaply into tears. Les Miz uses all the tricks and cliches. It works, but I was profoundly aware that I was being manipulated, and that totally spoiled my enjoyment of it.

6 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You monster..

I LIKE kids! But Gavroche isn't a "kid": he's a walking, talking precocious little cliche. AND WHAT WAS HE DOING ON THE BARRICADE IN THE FIRST PLACE????

On 12/31/2019 at 12:08 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

I like that look.

Back when Neko was a 'big scene' we used to call avatars like that a 'feral neko' implying they were more along the cat spectrum.

My own look back then was also more feral than the usual:

7189664741_81bdb9e601_z.jpg

I had basically attached furry paws and claws and hidden the underlying feet and hands with invisiprims and later an alpha mask.

Only gave this up when I got a mesh body sometime after those came out...

I kinda miss the look... but those were crude sculpties there, and if I did it again I'd be wanting full bento animation...

I bet you could recreate this with Apricot Paws' paws and feet. They're Omega compatible and scripted for BOM, so you could match them to your skin with no probs, and Zii even rigs for Belleza. I believe that's your fave, right?

18 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I've seen Cats on Broadway in NYC, and I don't recall much mating involved.

It might be different with one or the other choreography, but at least the "Jellicle Ball" is supposed to have mating part, since Victoria, the White Cat, is "becoming an adult". The Ball is interrupted by Macavity and everyone hides. Slowly, one by one, they return to the scene, Victoria repeats parts of her solo from the Invitation, until one of the tomcats (who exactly depends on the production) joins and woos her. Couple by couple, the others join in in pairs and surround them, except for the elders and the kittens. 

It's also assumed that Demeter was kidnapped and traumatized by Macavity, hence her special sensitivity to detect him nearby. Most productions have a scene after the final fight against Macavity, where she is seen rushing across the stage to affectionately tend to the injured second fighter.

Grizabella is despised by the adult cats due to her lascivious lifestyle for which she left the tribe - especially the sultry Bombalurina, who is in fact much like her, and is usually played to be most aggressive against her. The tribe is afraid of her potential bad influence. So it's up to the kittens and youngster, those without prejudice, to have pity on her and accept her back. Jemima/Sillabub joins her in "Memory" and Victoria is the first to finally touch her, after all of Grizabella's previous attempts remained unseen. 

No comment on Les Mis... just that I was immensely proud of "my cast" in Rotterdam, seeing it from premiere and both dernieres, In Rotterdam and the last extra show in Amsterdam. Or traveling for a few weekends to watch 3 shows in a row. 🥰

I dunno.  From the reviews I read, the "Cats" movie won't be inspiring anything except nausea...but as others have said, what do the critics know?

As for not liking musicals...Scylla!  There are so many wonderful musicals, please don't be dissuaded by a couple of dogs.  Some of my favorites:

South Pacific
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Fantasticks
Man of la Mancha
Sound of Music
My Fair Lady
Jesus Christ, Superstar (well, this one only makes my list because I love the album version.  It was never produced as an actual on-stage musical, and I didn't like the movie version.)
Amadeus (does this one count?  It's not a play and it's not a musical, strictly speaking...but it's all about Mozart and his music, so it stays.)
...and a bunch of the animated Disney films.  Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin.

• Like 1
Just now, Lindal Kidd said:

As for not liking musicals...Scylla!  There are so many wonderful musicals, please don't be dissuaded by a couple of dogs.

Oh, agreed. I think I did qualify this above somewhere by stipulating "modern" musicals.

I'd watch West Side Story anytime. And Cabaret is brilliant. My Fair Lady is certainly evocative of a particular period of musical too. I could probably think of a few others with some effort. What I tend not to like is the Andrew Lloyd Webber sort-of-thing -- with the sole exception of Jesus Christ Superstar, which is really confused thematically but has some great music and moments.

(But you'd have to tie me down and sedate me to make me watch The Sound of Music. Sorry! 😞 )

6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Jesus Christ, Superstar (well, this one only makes my list because I love the album version.  It was never produced as an actual on-stage musical, and I didn't like the movie version.)

JCS is actually much better as an "in concert" version, for my liking.

6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Amadeus (does this one count?  It's not a play and it's not a musical, strictly speaking...but it's all about Mozart and his music, so it stays.)

Well, there's "Mozart!" by Sylvester Levay and Michael Kunze... 

Other favs of mine: Next to Normal. OnceTick, Tick, Boom. Titanic. We Will Rock You (Queen + absolute trash, hence the love)...

"The Book of Mormon" is said to be genius, didn't manage to see that one, though.

• Like 1

Musicals are just about the only theatre production that I go see - with a few misc exceptions.  Some make me cry and some make me laugh, but I usually love them all in some way or another.  I typically will love the music & dance, even if the story line is more 'meh'.

The soundtrack from Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorites to play at super loud volume.  

• Like 1

My favourite musicals are ...

Repo! The Genetic Opera.
   Rocky Horror (Picture) Show.
   Chess.
   Jesus Christ Superstar.
   Rent.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

My favourite musicals are ...

Rent.

Tick, Tick, Boom might be interesting. It's from the same author, Jonathan Larson, and can be seen as the prequel to Rent. Jon (...) experiences an early mid-life crisis shortly before his 30th birthday, hoping to finish his musical score and bring it onto stage, while he jobs as waiter in a bistro. His relation is going downhill fast, his interest in the female lead blossoms. And last but not least, there's his roomate and only friend with his very own problems.

A 3-person piece plus band.

• Like 2

I've seen Cats & thought it was good, but there's pretty much no storyline & if you're not a fan of the music, personally i'd wait. I haven't seen it in the theatre, so can't compare it to that. It's ok to pass the time, but not something incredible

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.