Do you think the new Cats movie will influence how Furries look in SL?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hope for nope. I really like the songs, the older movie and I’ve seen an amateur black box production live...all really fine. In SL, I was a neko for a while, posed as Rum Tum Tugger for a photo exhibition someone did, I still enjoy wearing some anthro and animal avatars and I like seeing some of the creativity in the furry avatars...but y’all, those new movie CATS are creepy...now and forever. 

• Like 1

I don't think the movie version will have any bearing on anyone and their furry preferences. Frankly, I agree with most; the movie looks bad. I'd rather see the live stage version.

I would like to think if three established actors were involved, it would have better reviews.

1) Morgan Freeman

2) Bruce Willis

3) Harrison Ford.

9 minutes ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

I don't think the movie version will have any bearing on anyone and their furry preferences. Frankly, I agree with most; the movie looks bad. I'd rather see the live stage version.

I would like to think if three established actors were involved, it would have better reviews.

1) Morgan Freeman

2) Bruce Willis

3) Harrison Ford.

Excuse me???

It has Judi Freakin' Dench! OMG.

And Ian McKellen! And (*swoon*) Idris Elba!!

And you want Harrison Ford?????

I can't stand musicals, and there's no way I'll bother with this one, but those three are almost enough to prompt me to go. Almost.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

No, it won't. Why should it? The movie got a terrible rating and the faces of the CGI cats are exactly what even most "normal" people find horrible to look at. They are human faces, slapped on a fuzzy human body. Why would furries pick something, that deviates so much from their typical art style? Why would they want a human face? Not even before the movie was reveled as bad, did I see any indication, that it would be popular with the furry fandom. And now, with the knowledge of how terrible it is overall, I doubt that would suddenly change. If you want to see a movie popular with furries, look at Zootopia, the Lion King or that Disney Robin Hood movie, where all characters are foxes, bears etc.

12 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Also, this is not a new thing. Remember Beauty and the Beast (the 80s TV series)?

Think this movie beats Beauty and the Beast tv series by say 40 odd years (but do admit he was a little more fluffy on the body):

Wizard+of+Oz+Lion.jpg

As to the cats movie, think this image sums up what not only what the furry reaction to the terrible CGI would be but also the world reaction:

Internet-reaction-to-Cats-trailer-feature.jpg

Edited by Drayke Newall

10 hours ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

1) Morgan Freeman

2) Bruce Willis

3) Harrison Ford.

All three of those guys are...  a little too old to make movies other than those 'grandpa movies' where everybody goes out to the farm or pond or something and we have a tender moment with the grand-daughter that's getting married and her rebellious sibling that's a recovering addict as grand-dad resolves it all with some wisdom from 'back in my day'...

- alter a few variables and that's basically a ton of different movies...

But they're a bit too old for some kind of 'furry ballet flick' that seems to 'squick' actual furries... O.o

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I have a sort-of-furry avatar that's similar; not as weird-looking as the ones from CATS but this one uses a furry-type skin over a human head and body. It looks like a furry from a distance, and it's definitely more furry than neko, but doesn't really belong with either group.

1390235245_tigersupload.thumb.png.120cfaebf3994f0c1600dd39eff8daf3.png

I like that look.

Back when Neko was a 'big scene' we used to call avatars like that a 'feral neko' implying they were more along the cat spectrum.

My own look back then was also more feral than the usual:

7189664741_81bdb9e601_z.jpg

I had basically attached furry paws and claws and hidden the underlying feet and hands with invisiprims and later an alpha mask.

Only gave this up when I got a mesh body sometime after those came out...

I kinda miss the look... but those were crude sculpties there, and if I did it again I'd be wanting full bento animation...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

All three of those guys are...  a little too old to make movies other than those 'grandpa movies' where everybody goes out to the farm or pond or something and we have a tender moment with the grand-daughter that's getting married and her rebellious sibling that's a recovering addict as grand-dad resolves it all with some wisdom from 'back in my day'...

On behalf of everyone over 50...

tenor.gif.4ca9cb84b57810ce9c98f98f5b06c4b2.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

On behalf of everyone over 50...

tenor.gif.4ca9cb84b57810ce9c98f98f5b06c4b2.gif

I know... I'm just poking fun here... they may not be dead... but after seeing Ford in Star Wars I kept feeling like the guy should have been loaned a walker...

He didn't look just over 50, he looked over 50 when I was a kid, and I'm almost 50 now...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I know... I'm just poking fun here... they may not be dead... but after seeing Ford in Star Wars I kept feeling like the guy should have been loaned a walker...

He didn't look just over 50, he looked over 50 when I was a kid, and I'm almost 50 now...

Judi Dench is in Cats, and she's 85! And I just know she's still getting freaky with her fella.

TBH, I'd jump right in there with 'em.

And I know you're just teasing. 😋

2033405338_judidench1--z.jpg.211aca2443cf72c055964af56ec6e917.jpg

Edited by Beth Macbain
Added stuff.

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Judi Dench is in Cats, and she's 85! And I just know she's still getting freaky with her fella.

And I know you're just teasing. 😋

So wait...

Did you actually see the movie?

Because we're all making fun of it based on the critics...

But part of me wants to know if it actually is as bad as the reviews state or if it's one of those hidden things audiences will love while the guys paid by the word pan it in reviews...

I would LOVE to read the thoughts of someone who actually sees it.

Some movies can look amazingly bad from a distance but actually be good... more movies are the other way around... O.o

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Did you actually see the movie?

Nuuuuuuuuuuu... I saw it on Broadway years ago and it freaked me out. 

I know the reviews are pretty universally bad (I have no idea how the movie could be good when the original material was so bad) but I'm wondering if it won't end up a cult classic that's so bad that it's good. 

I'd have to see it to know, though, and I just can't. Even with my undying, all-consuming love of Taylor Swift, I have to sit this one out. 

36 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Nuuuuuuuuuuu... I saw it on Broadway years ago and it freaked me out. 

I know the reviews are pretty universally bad (I have no idea how the movie could be good when the original material was so bad) but I'm wondering if it won't end up a cult classic that's so bad that it's good. 

I'd have to see it to know, though, and I just can't. Even with my undying, all-consuming love of Taylor Swift, I have to sit this one out. 

Wait until the upcoming re-release, they are fixing a bunch of glitches people complained out. But that uncanny valley, tho!

It actually sucks that that horror movie is degrading the musical version, which has way more charm than that movie mess ever dreamt of. 😐
Go on search for "Cats - Live on Stage" which was filmed with proper musical actors, on scene and in the typical costumes, if you're seriously interested in it.

Not even sure if the director was smart enough to consider this during casting, but Judi Dench was originally supposed to create the role of Grizabella in the London premiere. But during rehearsals, she was injured and replaced by Elaine Paige. Now she has the disgrace... honour to gender reverse Old Deuteronomy as the tribe leader of the Jellicles.

Some review said that just reading the basic elements made them think of a typical Tim Burton movie. He probably would have done better. OK, anyone might have. But still, that could have been sweet and lovely.

And the worst: Victoria can't dance! And has leopard spots!

41 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I like that look.

Back when Neko was a 'big scene' we used to call avatars like that a 'feral neko' implying they were more along the cat spectrum.

My own look back then was also more feral than the usual:

7189664741_81bdb9e601_z.jpg

I had basically attached furry paws and claws and hidden the underlying feet and hands with invisiprims and later an alpha mask.

Only gave this up when I got a mesh body sometime after those came out...

I kinda miss the look... but those were crude sculpties there, and if I did it again I'd be wanting full bento animation...

That tiger avi was an old one, though they added omega appliers at a later stage so I applied the skin to a mesh body & head (Catwa Justin and Gianni, I think, in that pic). Swapped the original tail for a bento one, but I had no luck finding omega-compatible digi feet to fit Gianni so I just went with normal human feet, though you can't see them there. I guess customisation will be easier with Maitreya and BoM but I haven't gotten round to doing that one yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.