Bellisseria is raffling off a racist submarine...???

Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, DevinKnights84 said:

It doesn't take even 1 post to know when people are overreacting and causing more of a problem than the object itself. but, keep throwing childish fits and attempted insults and gaining post count, doesn't do anything for me. I'm not here for numbers and popularity. also, its funny how everyone attacks this but not the source, everyone continues wearing and using/displaying demonic symbols all over sl, no one does anything about those. hmmm.

Childish fits?

I'm assuming you aren't of any ethnicity that may be offended by a confederate symbol or know anyone that is either. Or, have been on the receiving end of racial profiling? Or been attacked in any way, shape or form due to your color, religion, sexual orientation? 

Grow up. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, DevinKnights84 said:

everyone continues wearing and using/displaying demonic symbols all over sl, no one does anything about those. hmmm.

One can argue about whether or not demons are real (they aren’t*) but you cannot argue whether or not slavery was real. 

*Except @Madelaine McMasters

Edited by Beth Macbain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm not the one that needs to grow up clearly, I'm not the one throwing fits over something someone else told me to hate, I'm not the one that thinks post count means I'm more intelligent than anyone else, I'm not the one assuming I know anything about another persons life and/or experiences. Try to have a good day, unless acting like a child to gain points in a chat is good to you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DevinKnights84 said:

I'm not the one that needs to grow up clearly, I'm not the one throwing fits over something someone else told me to hate, I'm not the one that thinks post count means I'm more intelligent than anyone else, I'm not the one assuming I know anything about another persons life and/or experiences. Try to have a good day, unless acting like a child to gain points in a chat is good to you.

You seem to be really worked up in defense of a hate symbol. Interesting!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DevinKnights84 said:

Deflecting looks bad on you.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DevinKnights84 said:

No, but you are the one who needs some education about the history of that flag.

• Like 2

Dear neighbours,

On behalf of the Bellisseria on Ice organisation I would like to apologise to anyone that felt hurt or grief by this unfortunate mistake on our behalf. I can assure that there was no racist intent whatsoever. We can all agree that racism and symbols of racism have no place in Second Life. The person that placed the item containing a depiction of the southern cross was not aware of it's history or what this symbol represents. We can understand why people feel offended by this and regret this unfortunate event. We hope you will accept our sincere apology and see this mistake for what it is, a mistake.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Who is putting on this auction? Is it the community group? 

And who made this offensive, vile product? I need to make sure they never get a single linden from me.

The Community group has absolutely nothing to do with this event.

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

There are a few other things being raffled there, including Analyze Dean's immense riverboat.  No idea who the raffle benefits.

The raffle is part of the elaborate "Bellisseria on Ice" event.  On the event website, they thank Patch Linden and Missy Mole for making the event possible.

I know this isn't going to make me any more popular by asking this, but why is someone allowed to have a raffle with no clear charity or anything when it's been made clear that the fairgrounds are supposed to be non commercial, even to the point of prohibiting tip jars?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ThomasHooker said:

I know this isn't going to make me any more popular by asking this, but why is someone allowed to have a raffle with no clear charity or anything when it's been made clear that the fairgrounds are supposed to be non commercial, even to the point of prohibiting tip jars?

It's a valid question! The raffle is free to enter for all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

It's a valid question! The raffle is free to enter for all.

OH!  These are gifts!  Then, as a veteran of many charity and church events, may I offer the following terminology:

You are running a drawing (or a few drawings) for really nice door prizes, not a raffle.

I'm not sure, but when I look at the event website, it appears that the event is being held to benefit US (Belli citizenry), not a charity?

The fairgrounds really do look beautiful, which I think is some kind of winter miracle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

OH!  These are gifts!  Then, as a veteran of many charity and church events, may I offer the following terminology:

You are running a drawing (or a few drawings) for really nice door prizes, not a raffle.

I'm not sure, but when I look at the event website, it appears that the event is being held to benefit US (Belli citizenry), not a charity?

The fairgrounds really do look beautiful, which I think is some kind of winter miracle.

Thank you for explaining that :) In holland the term raffle is used for both paid and free giveaways. Nothing at the event is commercial. There are only drawings and gifts. Everything has been checked with Mischievous Mole.

ETA: The event is not organised for a charity but for all Belisserian citizens to enjoy some winter fun on iceskates.

Edited by Christhiana
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Christhiana said:

Thank you for explaining that :) In holland the term raffle is used for both paid and free giveaways. Nothing at the event is commercial. There are only drawings and gifts. Everything has been checked with Mischievous Mole.

Thank you for taking this seriously,  your quick response and explanations. Does seem an unfortunate misunderstanding but one which needed to be cleared up swiftly,

If one good thing came of it, I also thought the Fairgrounds looked wonderful and I'm going to get my ice skates and go back and do what my knees in RL won't allow me to do any longer :P  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Thank you for taking this seriously,  your quick response and explanations. Does seem an unfortunate misunderstanding but one which needed to be cleared up swiftly,

If one good thing came of it, I also thought the Fairgrounds looked wonderful and I'm going to get my ice skates and go back and do what my knees in RL won't allow me to do any longer :P  

It is something to be taken seriously. Racism is a terrible thing. And we would never deliberately try to hurt anyone. All we wanted was to offer our community a nice place to meet and enjoy the music. I was shocked when I logged in to watch the dance show and read this post. So was the person that put out the offending object when she found out what was happening and what the symbol represented. We are truly sorry this happened.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, DevinKnights84 said:

Actually no, also.. I made no claims about the flag or it's meaning.

No. You came in here, invalidated the truth of how offensive it is and then put your foot in your mouth by telling us we're childish for being angered by racist imagery being displayed in our community.

Far worse. 

Hun, quit while you're behind. Unless you're trying to rack up more posts in which case carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tiptoes in to a sensitive subject.   What is clear to me is that some people are unaware of the significance behind the confederate flag.  I hold my hand up and admit that up to maybe 15/20 years ago, to me over here in the UK, it was just the picture on the car in the Dukes of Hazzard from my childhood.  Maybe it would be a good idea for someone who can word it better than I can to explain to those who are obviously unaware of the history and what it stands for.  I will stick my neck out and say there is probably a lot of Europe.  Educate instead of outrage now that the item has been removed and apologies made?  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I must admit to ignorance also. My assumption had been that this had been a regional flag which had been misused by far right groups, rather than a purely racist symbol. ie more like the english flag which can be misused by racist groups in our country, rather than say the political nazi symbol. It's really easy to misapply local cultural experiences onto situations in other countries. That isn't an excuse for causing offence, more an explanation of how mistakes can be made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

what was in the mind of the person who made the submarine I dunno

historically tho,  the flag on the submarine is the Navy Jack of the Confederate States of America. Which was flown on all confederate warships from 1863 until the end of the US Civil War.  The last warship to fly the confederate navy jack was the CSS Shenandoah captained by James Waddell which surrendered on  6 November 1865, the last military act of the war

• Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.