virtual reality

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You know virtual reality is something new that is slowly becoming more creating even closer bonds and connection and other programs like VRCHat are taking advantage of this but yet Second life has this huge and powerful community of builders and everything they need to turn this place into a real virtual reality paradise and stomp the competition Please stop dumping $ into other stuff and make Second life the future we as a community will help!!!

Edited by Tresia Beck
  • Haha 1

Tresia,

A few years ago, LL released an experimental version of the viewer for Oculus Rift VR.  It was interesting, but the eventual conclusion was that SL requires too much access to a keyboard and mouse to make VR practical.  LL's newer virtual world project, Sansar, is designed for VR use from the ground up, so that's worth a look as Lillith suggests.

• Haha 1

Yes, indeed! That is why Linden Lab's massive investment in a new world, Sansar (mentioned by Lillith and Lindal) has been so successful, and taken the online world by storm! In fact, almost everyone who used to be in SL has moved to Sansar, and made it a vibrant, exciting experience! You should go there and see for yourself. (sorry, massive sarcasm, couldn't resist).

I know nothing about VR Chat, which people bring up occasionally, but VR in general seems to pretty have been something that sounds far better in theory than it is in practice. I guess it has an audience, but doesn't seem to have caught on like some people expected (probably people who had a financial interest in it doing so).

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tresia Beck said:

virtual reality

You can download this Firestorm viewer and give it a try:

https://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2019/08/12/firestorm-vr-resources/

Hypergrid Business had an interesting  article in August:

https://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2019/08/firestorm-viewer-now-supports-virtual-reality/

Your FPS is likely to be so low that nausea will occur though, but some regions could be tolerable.

allot of sims use voice now and you can still type in VR and no...... you can advertise Sansar as much as you want it will never come close to what LL has done with secondlife, most that when to sansar came back to SL and no one has anything good to say about sansar because of the limitations! no other platform allows a nooby to create something of there own with out special training or learning LL owns the #1 3D chat in the world and they create an alternative that dose not fulfill the same dream SL did 

with the right setup LL can make VR work in SL allot better then the firestome mod

Edited by Tresia Beck
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Tresia Beck said:

with the right setup LL can make VR work in SL allot better then the firestome mod

Several years ago LL tried to make VR work well in SL but they could not. This is because a lot of the content in SL is not optimized and so creates a lot of lag and a major drop in FPS.  They are planning to evaluate content differently in the future however, so that content which is not optimized would have a penalty via using more LI.

* and that makes me wonder, would VR in SL be workable @ some point in the distant future?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

VR can work it has come a long ways and sim owners if they want VR to work in there sims will have to use optimized items that's where the community comes in play stop wasting $ on sansar and fix SL I don't care if you have to raise premium costs to do it ! we need SL to grow again stop giving excuses and start creating real solutions 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tresia Beck said:

VR can work it has come a long ways and sim owners if they want VR to work in there sims will have to use optimized items that's where the community comes in play stop wasting $ on sansar and fix SL I don't care if you have to raise premium costs to do it ! we need SL to grow again stop giving excuses and start creating real solutions 

A lot of SL residents don't like VR   :(    I suspect some of those would like it if they'd only try it, but I estimate the majority would not, at least not with the limitations VR has presently (the clunky headsets, and nausea for some even with fairly good FPS).

I love VR though..

* So...why should SL spend a lot of money on something most residents don't like?

Edited by Luna Bliss

8 minutes ago, Tresia Beck said:

just because you have VR dose not mean you have to use it the point is all the VR users are leaving SL and there not going to SanSar lets get them back here 

7 minutes ago, Tresia Beck said:

with what we have in SL we could hit the VR community so hard that SL will be the #1 location for VR

I think the younger virtual world users will prefer a VR environment eventually, yes, and that us oldbies here are going to die out in the coming years. So I'm not sure what's going to happen to SL, going out 10 or more years from now.

Since it's New Years predictions time, I predict that Facebook Horizon will be the #1 location for social VR.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

LL could leverage their installed base letting us use the same account for Sansar, but they are not. This means they are treating each as a separate asset that could be divested separately. 

That would make zero difference to me, at least. I try it every few months, and did again a few weeks ago, and it works so differently from SL it makes no sense to me. I got stuck at one of the 'training' spots and could not figure out how to get unstuck. Plus, I guess it is chicken-and-egg, but there is noone there. Other than the graphics (which I didn't get even the full benefit of, as I have no VR gear), it seems more like OpenSims or SenseSpace (or whatever that is called), far, far behind SL in development.

I guess I am not the target audience for it anyhow, though (and really, probably shouldn't even be participating in the this thread, lol). I have zero interest in wearing a headset or buying all the gear needed and getting an even more powerful  computer. It sounds like the demand might grow, though, if more young people and intense gamers get in (as per Luna).

VR - as it is anyway - needs to die. Beatsaber is a rather fun/nifty game that makes decent enough use of VR and there are a few more decent enough VR games out there. VR for things like Second Life though?

No.

Something like Second Life is far more suited to technology that we do not currently have - and may never have/may simply be impossible to make. VRChat and similar being "popular" is rather misleading ... Second Life was "popular" some time ago as were several other, similar places.

43 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I have zero interest in wearing a headset or buying all the gear needed and getting an even more powerful  computer. It sounds like the demand might grow, though, if more young people and intense gamers get in (as per Luna).

The new Oculus Quest is a game-changer....an expensive PC with the updated graphics card is not needed now. And these things are selling so well that they are presently sold out and not available again until late February (most stores).

One only has to have broadband for the Wifi, and they are even cordless.  Cost of almost 400 usd.

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The new Oculus Quest is a game-changer....an expensive PC with the updated graphics card is not needed now. And these things are selling so well that they are presently sold out and not available again until late February (most stores).

One only has to have broadband for the Wifi, and they are even cordless.  Cost of almost 400 usd.

It doesn't eliminate the need for the graphics hardware to render busy areas at an acceptable frame rate. 

2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think the younger virtual world users will prefer a VR environment eventually, yes, and that us oldbies here are going to die out in the coming years. So I'm not sure what's going to happen to SL, going out 10 or more years from now.

I'm not planning on dying out right away, and I have zero interest in wearing a headset while I am sitting at my computer.  Certainly not something that keeps me from being able to see my keyboard or the spot where I set my coffee cup.  The concept of VR is fascinating, but the technical reality -- and the cost/benefit balance -- is too off-putting to make me want to go down that road.  I suspect that enough other SL residents feel that way that the Lab is unlikely to try the VR experiment again, especially since they have invested their VR hopes in Sansar.

• Like 5

The industry consensus about VR is now "not yet". 2017 was supposed to be the year of VR, and VR usage peaked in holiday season 2017. That was peak VR Chat.

John Carmack, who headed Oculus for a while, now says that the headgear has to get down to swim goggle size to sell and eyeglass size to go mainstream. That's not here yet. Someday, Pokemon Go goggles may be in bubble packs at the supermarket checkout for $39.95. Not this year.

Until then, go play Beat Saber.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm not planning on dying out right away, and I have zero interest in wearing a headset while I am sitting at my computer.

You're not supposed to sit at your computer when using Oculus Quest. It's not a VRheadset for PCs but rather a ... think of it as a game console you wear on your head. There is an addon that allows you to connect to a PC and play PC games but that has to be bought separately.

4 minutes ago, animats said:

The industry consensus about VR is now "not yet".

I wonder what took the industry that long. People seriously thought those headsets would go mainstream?

Virtual Reality reminds me of 3D printing. Some folks find some early (and awesome, to be fair) adoption of the tech and all of a sudden it goes viral and we are months away from creating working products in our living room.

Yeah, no.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.