Converting Linksets to Sculpted Prims or Meshes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

look on the market place for "Mesh Generator"

I've used it for some years now and am very happy with it, but you do need to use the beta grid to learn about getting the LOD's right before uploading on the main grid, otherwise you'll join the ranks of those insisting you up the rendervolumeLOD setting to 4.0 or more

• Like 2

Mesh Generators are good, but alternatively you can use (some?) third party viewers. In many of them you can right-click an object and export/save it as a .dae file, after which you can edit it in 3D modeling software if you wish.

Do note that A) You will have to have created the prims yourself, and B ) any textures must have been uploaded by you as well, or you will lose the texturing on the object.

BTW, It is my opinion that these in-world mesh generators are often the better choice, because they turn a prim object into a single mesh item, the export function does not and instead turns the object into a mesh object which can then be unlinked, giving you no advantage in terms of land impact.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Um.... Is that related to anything?

It answers the following question:

9 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Years ago, there was a tool that could convert prim linksets into sculpted prims. I have been told that there are tools for converting prim linksets to mesh objects. I have searched unsuccessfully for theses tools. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks for any help.

Just now, Fritigern Gothly said:

I see no answer, all I see is you suggesting the OP looking up some random person, without mentioning why.

37 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Look up @Naonao Watanabe for a complete product line with numerous mesh and sculpty options. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Years ago, there was a tool that could convert prim linksets into sculpted prims. I have been told that there are tools for converting prim linksets to mesh objects. I have searched unsuccessfully for theses tools. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks for any help.

Note that while you CAN export prims as a dae file  using Firestorm and some other third party viewers ( for Blender) there is a LOT of work that needs to be done after the fact. The file has way too many materials as exported (even something simple) and the SL uploader will only let you have eight per mesh object. ALSO a prim has WAY more vertices and triangles than at mesh cube so many edges need to be deleted AND it has double the vertices needed so that needs to be fixed also.

You really aren't get any sort of quality mesh item.  Not sure about the purchased generators but I haven't been very impressed with the finished objects that I have seen.  Maybe building with prims and using that as as SIZING MODEL would be a better choice.  You can also in many cases change your prims to convex hull and cut your land impact costs in half WHILE USING PRIMS :D 

Some learning of course is required :D.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Note that while you CAN export prims as a dae file  using Firestorm and some other third party viewers ( for Blender) there is a LOT of work that needs to be done after the fact.

Anything ported out of SL will already be triangulated. It's usually easier to build from scratch in quads and ngons in your 3D tool like Blender or Maya than to clean up the mess of an SL export. 

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder
Typo

5 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Look up @Naonao Watanabe for a complete product line

Yes, that's the creator, I couldn't remember the name. I've used his/her/their sculpt creation tools before the mesh tool came out.

The mesh generator is more useful than the sculpt tools because you can drop the script into your own prims, whereas the sculpts have to be made using prims rezzed from the build tool.

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

You really aren't get any sort of quality mesh item.

Agreed, but what you will get is something fitting exactly into the rest of your build. For selectively reducing the LI count of an inworld build it works very well.

I would also say that for the Blenderazzi, creating the same things in Blender is easier, quicker, and superior in final quality, but for those of us for whom Blender induces nightmares and day-trauma, the mesh generator is easier.

For the OP, one thing I would really recommend is learning how to map bits of a texture onto the surfaces of the prims rather than having a texture per prim or even worse, a texture per face. There are also tricks to further lower the LI of the resultant mesh such as setting hidden faces transparent which result in them not generating triangles for such faces.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
remove assumption of gender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I would also say that for the Blenderazzi, creating the same things in Blender is easier, quicker, and superior in final quality, but for those of us for whom Blender induces nightmares and day-trauma, the mesh generator is easier.

Blenderazzi! Lol genius! 

If you're getting nightmares and life-crumbling trauma from Blender, I'd suggest you to try Maya student version, so it's free for learning and to create things not for sale 😁 I'd not suggest 3dsmax as workflow and amount of tools UI clutter is similar to Blender 's

6 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Anything ported out of SL will already be triangulated. It's usually easier to build from scratch in quads and ngons in your 3D tool like Blender or Maya than to clean up the mess of an SL export. 

I wasn't talking about triangulation but about the extra vertices built into a SL prim cube.  

image.png.0be4105f4760acdcf8f9dd6b8e11f417.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

I'd not suggest 3dsmax as workflow and amount of tools UI clutter is similar to Blender 's

I actually began 3D modelling using 3DCanvas and Gmax nearly ten years ago, and struggled with both of them, but when I found SecondLife and began to bash the prims together it was like waking up from a bad dream, I could wander around, see what I was doing in relation to the surroundings, but most importantly, I could work with other people on collaborations. This last point is probably the the most important one of all to me, I found the train simulators very lonely places compared to SecondLife.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Thanks for any help.

You can find them on Marketplace. If you are building the linkests then Celzium is the best. If you want to convert link sets already built, then you'll want one of the other tools. In all cases, you'll want to take your exported model into a 3D app, such as Blender, to do some major clean-up or you'll become part of the SL problem, rather than solution.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.