AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 settings for secondlife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just bought a new PC 
These are my spec Overview:AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 3000MHz
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD
256GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280

fps good, most of the time i can run on ultra, but then sometimes things don't rez even after 20 minutes., i reduce performance to mid, but still no improvement. the fps continues to be good. 

i'm a complete IT novice so guidance would be appreciated.

drivers up to date.

15 minutes ago, Amilee34 said:

Just bought a new PC 
These are my spec Overview:AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 3000MHz
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD
256GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280

fps good, most of the time i can run on ultra, but then sometimes things don't rez even after 20 minutes., i reduce performance to mid, but still no improvement. the fps continues to be good. 

i'm a complete IT novice so guidance would be appreciated.

drivers up to date.

mostly it's not needed to adjust the settings of you Graphics card, but adjust the preferences.
What that should be?.. could  be anything between low and ultra, depending on lots of things... speed, connection(ping) packetloss, textures, drawdistance... and so on..
You can work from two sides on that... from low settings going up till you get minor problems, or from ultra going down till all blurring and trouble are gone.
If you use your settings at the max possible for you,  go a bit lower if you go hopping around, or you'll again run into rezzing issues.

• Like 1

On top of Alwin's explanation, in terms of that "not rezzing" problem, the easiest fix is a simple TP out and back to that spot.

Also, the current driver versions with the number 19.12.x are a hit and miss release. Better wait for the bugfixes and stick with the 19.11 generation.

Besides that, there isn't really any special setting you need to check.

Regards from my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2019 at 3:19 PM, Lillith Hapmouche said:

On top of Alwin's explanation, in terms of that "not rezzing" problem, the easiest fix is a simple TP out and back to that spot.

Also, the current driver versions with the number 19.12.x are a hit and miss release. Better wait for the bugfixes and stick with the 19.11 generation.

Besides that, there isn't really any special setting you need to check.

Regards from my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC.

Hi

What are your thoughts of an upgrade to a 5700 vs a 2060 for Second Life which is the only game I use. I already upgraded my cpu to a 3600 with my current GTX 780 so I'm guessing that combo may be sufficient as is. I am using a Xeon 5650 atm and it is excellent but will lose performance when using specific Windlight settings when in shadow mode. I determined that it depends on how many objects are being influenced by the sun and the various angles of the shadows. With shadows turned off performance is no issue at all from one Windlight to the next. I know someone who has a GTX 1070 does not have that issue so I could get a used one but always wanted to try an AMD since the hardware is interesting.

11 minutes ago, Ormand Lionheart said:

Hi

What are your thoughts of an upgrade to a 5700 vs a 2060 for Second Life which is the only game I use. I already upgraded my cpu to a 3600 with my current GTX 780 so I'm guessing that combo may be sufficient as is. I am using a Xeon 5650 atm and it is excellent but will lose performance when using specific Windlight settings when in shadow mode. I determined that it depends on how many objects are being influenced by the sun and the various angles of the shadows. With shadows turned off performance is no issue at all from one Windlight to the next. I know someone who has a GTX 1070 does not have that issue so I could get a used one but always wanted to try an AMD since the hardware is interesting.

You would notice overall better performance out of the 5700 but it’s debatable how much either would really improve performance in SL since most of the lighting is cpu bound.

The cpu upgrade probably did the most for lighting related performance, might not be worth upgrading the gpu unless you play a lot of other games that would utilize it more.

1 minute ago, cheesecurd said:

You would notice overall better performance out of the 5700 but it’s debatable how much either would really improve performance in SL since most of the lighting is cpu bound.

The cpu upgrade probably did the most for lighting related performance, might not be worth upgrading the gpu unless you play a lot of other games that would utilize it more.

Thanks

I haven't yet used the new Ryzen cpu with my 780 but I suspect the same thing that I may not need an upgrade of a gpu. The Ryzen cpu is twice as fast as the xeon in single thread tests in Cinebench and that should be a huge boost. Mostly I just like to tinker and the AMD products look interesting but driver issues look like a pain in the ass. Once I get the new cpu running I will be able to tell if an upgrade is even worth it.

As you figured out on your own: try your new CPU with the GPU you already got and see if you like the performance. (By the way: a fresh Windows setup is a must)

The 5700 (XT) and the 2060 are two different leagues, actually. Either look at the 5700/2070 (Super) series... or perhaps a used 1070 for a good price. Or save some money and get into the 5600 or 2060 range, if you really want an upgrade now.

Personally, I evventually ran into the driver issues from hell that several AMD cards - especially 5700XT ones - are encountering since December 2019. Black- and bluescreens, cold  restarts, games not loading, artefacts and errors with multi monitor setups - those things don't show up on all cards and recent drivers, but a good deal is affected. Whether it's really "just" driver programming or a hardware error in early charges, nobody can tell for sure. It's a hot debate on Reddit, was very well presented in a "Hardware Unboxed" YouTube video and is getting picked up by gaming and hardware sites.

So as of now, I would only recommend a 5700 card if you are willing to fiddle with drivers and settings. If you aren't, go to Nvidia. I didin't follow the reports too much, so I can't tell if the 5500 and 5600 cards suffer from the same problems.

My solution, nonetheless: I'm running a 19.10.x driver release and set the WattMan tool to automatically underclock the GPU. No more issues at all and I'm happily playing COD: MW now, which used to pester me with all kinds of issues. Second Life always ran fine, nonetheless.

15 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

My experience is that SL favors Nvidia cards, a lot.

I'd seriously love a "roll eyes" emoticon to react to such statements. 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

As you figured out on your own: try your new CPU with the GPU you already got and see if you like the performance. (By the way: a fresh Windows setup is a must)

The 5700 (XT) and the 2060 are two different leagues, actually. Either look at the 5700/2070 (Super) series... or perhaps a used 1070 for a good price. Or save some money and get into the 5600 or 2060 range, if you really want an upgrade now.

Personally, I evventually ran into the driver issues from hell that several AMD cards - especially 5700XT ones - are encountering since December 2019. Black- and bluescreens, cold  restarts, games not loading, artefacts and errors with multi monitor setups - those things don't show up on all cards and recent drivers, but a good deal is affected. Whether it's really "just" driver programming or a hardware error in early charges, nobody can tell for sure. It's a hot debate on Reddit, was very well presented in a "Hardware Unboxed" YouTube video and is getting picked up by gaming and hardware sites.

So as of now, I would only recommend a 5700 card if you are willing to fiddle with drivers and settings. If you aren't, go to Nvidia. I didin't follow the reports too much, so I can't tell if the 5500 and 5600 cards suffer from the same problems.

My solution, nonetheless: I'm running a 19.10.x driver release and set the WattMan tool to automatically underclock the GPU. No more issues at all and I'm happily playing COD: MW now, which used to pester me with all kinds of issues. Second Life always ran fine, nonetheless.

I'd seriously love a "roll eyes" emoticon to react to such statements. 🙄

I agree with everything you said. I recall a few years ago when the GTX 670 came out and I and quite a few others were having issues with SL including the pink screen and crashes which were fixed when new drivers came out but in my case I think it was my model was clocked to high. It was an Asus model DC2 and eventually stopped working with artifacts. I ten RMA'd it and received a replacement which obviously was a refurbish. Tried it immediately with SL and didn't even last 5 minutes. Went thru the RMA process again. Went for a Zotac 780 which has had zero issues for a number of years now. I've been following the RX series driver issues on YouTube and people aren't happy and some interesting theories on the problem. AMD doesn't seem to have had a good rep re: drivers for years. I've never had an AMD card so I am curious is all. Best case is to try both in a side by side comparison but that's not possible unless I can return it if need be and get the Nvidia. But like you said I may not even need to upgrade my current gpu. My new AMD system is currently using my GTX 670 but I haven't run it yet due to time issues so it will be a fresh Windows install. Thanks for the info.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.