Looking for a nice neighborhood

Zweifel22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Caledon has a very strong sense of community, too.

Visited Caledon, actually found it in Places Search and in the Map! Nice. Need to look about more, but seems quite charming. And I did find some people there (including you, lol; EDIT: LOVE the pic in your First Live tab...in many ways I feel a lot has been lost with mesh heads, in many ways I prefer the way we used to look~), but not many:

Caledon_noon_SLT.thumb.png.c7973eb89c65dacf389f3d94637cc84a.png

Unfortunately, none of them talked to me (I also didn't talk to them, but still...). Perhaps the time of day, I dunno. Or perhaps have to be in character? I defs was NOT dressed Steampunkish, lol.

Going to explore a bit. The first place I landed was at the Welcome Center, which had a library and mentioned book readings or discussions or something (EDIT: and apparently 'donnybrooks,' lol). I didn't look about there, I went to the place that showed people instead. :)

Edited by CaerolleClaudel

6 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Visited Caledon, actually found it in Places Search and in the Map! Nice. Need to look about more, but seems quite charming. And I did find some people there (including you, lol), but not many:

Unfortunately, none of them talked to me (I also didn't talk to them, but still...). Perhaps the time of day, I dunno. Or perhaps have to be in character? I defs was NOT dressed Steampunkish, lol.

Going to explore a bit. The first place I landed was at the Welcome Center, which had a library and mentioned book readings or discussions or something (EDIT: and apparently 'donnybrooks,' lol). I didn't look about there, I went to the place that showed people instead. :)

It sounds to me like you may want to be in a very active role play sim. There are some where there are ALWAYS lots of people around and many that are just really rental areas (often nice ones but very few people).  

The one I used to live in closed now (not because it wasn't popular, just because the folks got tired :D).  Honestly there are very few "communities" that are not role play that have lots of people around. Even Bellisseria often has only one or two per sim.   NOT THE NORM these days. 

Good luck 

• Like 2

Caledon Oxbridge Gateway seems like the place people should land first, instead of whatever they call where they *do* land.

I had to snicker at this, though:

Bottoming_made_easy.thumb.png.70ce6f64b03515826a78a90d0a40f443.png

All these years, and I never knew this existed!!! I guess you need to mention to have RLV enabled, though? ;)

(snickers more, being the bad person she is)

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
my usual bad spellling
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

It sounds to me like you may want to be in a very active role play sim.

What I want is what I used to have, a place (or even places, I am so greedy, lol) to go dance and talk and listen to music. And I used to have what I would guess you would call a RP sim, a female-only BDSM sim where I spent hours and hours, and there were always people around and lots of interactions. Sadly, I do not find places that fit my wants these days, so I just spend all my time wandering about alone. It's fine, though, honestly I have a lot stuff I should be doing instead of being in SL, lol.

• Like 2

People will normally talk to you in Caledon, especially anyone at Caledon Oxbridge with a staff tag (Oxbridge Dean, Oxbridge Professor, Oxbridge Tutor, etc.)  Starting in local chat instead of IM is always considered good manners.  Staff may take a while to respond...they may be in several conversations at once.  Caledon has a Victorian Steampunk theme, but the roleplay is not rigorous.  You don't have to dress in period clothing.

8 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Scylla, you should know me better by now.  I wouldn't live in a Linden home simply because I am too much of an elitist snob.  The houses I prefer to live in take 1/4 sim - just for the house.

I'll take your word for it and stipulate, based purely on your recommendation, that Linden homes are fine for someone who cannot afford better or is just looking for a place to log in and rez things.  But, you're focusing on the HOME, and not the COMMUNITY.  Nice homes do not make a nice community.  My original point was that if the OP wants a nice neighborhood with a nice community feel, they should seek out the sort of place with the sorts of people and events and so forth that they enjoy, and look for a rental THERE.  You know, like finding a nice urban neighborhood downtown near a great coffee shop, a terrific book store, and a few trendy clubs, and convenient for getting to work, and then taking an apartment near the park that is in your price range, rather than just going with the easy answer of "just go premium".

This is a huge assumption on your part.

I've been in SL for well over a decade. I've lived in many different types of communities, even had an entire region of my own for a year recently. I've lived on Mainland, private areas, and Linden land over the years and have had good and bad experiences in all of them. 

While still owning my region I decided to get one of the new Linden homes since I was always Premium as are my alts. Surprisingly, I find it a delightful experience and it expanded my circle of friends enormously. I came back to the forums too, something I'd been away from for quite some time. Living in Bellisseria expanded my experience in world, not limited it and continues to do so. There is a huge community of people of all types, all interests constantly putting together events. There IS something for everyone  - I bet, even for you. 

I still have my own land and a rather large piece at that where I can play to my hearts content and you know what? I spend nearly all my time in my Linden homes.  I love the community there. I love the homes. I love the landscaping and the streets and the nooks and crannies of it. I love being able to walk from one neighborhood into another, and being able to feel the change in ambiance due to the great landscaping job the Moles did in each and every region. If you're unable to see the shear labor of love that went into this community and the effect it's had on those who live there now, it's your loss.

It's not about "just going premium" for most of us at all - because most of "us" are long term residents who already were premium. Speaking for those who I communicate most with and hear from the most, it has more to do with community - the thing you are saying the OP should look for.  

So to the OP - come and have a look. Drop into some of the Belli neighborhood events. Judge for yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elora Lunasea said:

This is a huge assumption on your part.

I've been in SL for well over a decade. I've lived in many different types of communities, even had an entire region of my own for a year recently. I've lived on Mainland, private areas, and Linden land over the years and have had good and bad experiences in all of them. 

While still owning my region I decided to get one of the new Linden homes since I was always Premium as are my alts. Surprisingly, I find it a delightful experience and it expanded my circle of friends enormously. I came back to the forums too, something I'd been away from for quite some time. Living in Bellisseria expanded my experience in world, not limited it and continues to do so. There is a huge community of people of all types, all interests constantly putting together events. There IS something for everyone  - I bet, even for you. 

I still have my own land and a rather large piece at that where I can play to my hearts content and you know what? I spend nearly all my time in my Linden homes.  I love the community there. I love the homes. I love the landscaping and the streets and the nooks and crannies of it. I love being able to walk from one neighborhood into another, and being able to feel the change in ambiance due to the great landscaping job the Moles did in each and every region. If you're unable to see the shear labor of love that went into this community and the effect it's had on those who live there now, it's your loss.

It's not about "just going premium" for most of us at all - because most of "us" are long term residents who already were premium. Speaking for those who I communicate most with and hear from the most, it has more to do with community - the thing you are saying the OP should look for.  

So to the OP - come and have a look. Drop into some of the Belli neighborhood events. Judge for yourself. 

I'm assuming nothing.  I am stating my viewpoint that Linden homes are, based purely on Scylla's recommendation (and that of others) nice places for people who cannot afford better.  Your entire post makes my point for me without your even realizing it.  Basically, you're choosing to live in government housing, in the city, while retaining a nice country home in the sticks.   You apparently CAN afford better - and you choose to pay for better, even if "better" in your case is simply "more".  You cannot "play to your heart's content" in your Linden home with, what, 200 prims available?  If you could, why on Earth would you pay for private land?  You LIKE the Linden homes, for whatever reason, and you STILL choose to have a "rather large piece" in addition.  Why?  Because the Linden home is not enough for you.  You talk about how nice the Mole people do on landscaping - but in your own place, you can do whatever and EXACTLY what you want.  Which is the reason people in RL generally BUY a home (if they can afford to) rather than RENT one.

Yet again restating my original point, the OP wants to find a "nice community" - looking for a place near things they are interested in is the best route, albeit more work.  Frankly, this incessant clamor for Linden homes being so awesome for the OP's purposes borders on conceit - "oh it's good enough for us so it's good enough for you, and we're great so surely you'll like living next to us".  You don't know the OP, you don't know what they will want in landscaping, house construction, prim allowance, zoning restrictions, etc. let alone NEIGHBORS, yet you're fixated on the nice easy answer.  I'm just encouraging them to work harder and make a more informed choice.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I'm assuming nothing.  I am stating my viewpoint that Linden homes are, based purely on Scylla's recommendation (and that of others) nice places for people who cannot afford better.  Your entire post makes my point for me without your even realizing it.  Basically, you're choosing to live in government housing, in the city, while retaining a nice country home in the sticks.   You apparently CAN afford better - and you choose to pay for better, even if "better" in your case is simply "more".  You cannot "play to your heart's content" in your Linden home with, what, 200 prims available?  If you could, why on Earth would you pay for private land?  You LIKE the Linden homes, for whatever reason, and you STILL choose to have a "rather large piece" in addition.  Why?  Because the Linden home is not enough for you.  You talk about how nice the Mole people do on landscaping - but in your own place, you can do whatever and EXACTLY what you want.  Which is the reason people in RL generally BUY a home (if they can afford to) rather than RENT one.

Yet again restating my original point, the OP wants to find a "nice community" - looking for a place near things they are interested in is the best route, albeit more work.  Frankly, this incessant clamor for Linden homes being so awesome for the OP's purposes borders on conceit - "oh it's good enough for us so it's good enough for you, and we're great so surely you'll like living next to us".  You don't know the OP, you don't know what they will want in landscaping, house construction, prim allowance, zoning restrictions, etc. let alone NEIGHBORS, yet you're fixated on the nice easy answer.  I'm just encouraging them to work harder and make a more informed choice.

Tolya, darling. You know I love you, babe, but . . . wow. This post just absolutely reeks of entitlement, elitism, classism, and probably a whole lot of other "isms" I don't have the time or energy to enumerate. I was half expecting you to end by dynamiting half of Bellisseria as an expression of your personal vision and strength of ego, while some dewy-eyed brunette melts into your manly arms.

There are elements of your argument that it's difficult not to agree with. Yes, it's nice to have private land -- although, for me and I suspect many others, this would be like having a blank canvas upon which to be creative, rather than about personal "freedom" in quite the way you suggest.

But everything you say here is premised upon a false assumption, asserted by the RL model that you have violently imposed upon SL.

First off, Linden home residents are not living "in government housing." They're not living in government housing because LL is not a "government": it's a private corporation that leases out certain digital assets that are scaled according to the amount paid -- just as with any other digital platform or software. And this is true of private "landowners" too -- they are, as Theresa once astutely noted, not owners, and their assets are not "land." Just like the Premium account holders who have a house in Bellisseria, a private land owner pays a certain amount of money to LL for the lease of certain digital assets. In this case, because you are paying more, you get more -- more "land," more freedom to do what you want with it, and so forth. Just as you would if you upgraded your package of Adobe software, or pretty much anything else online. It is not merely artificial and misleading to suggest that there is some sort of social difference between Linden home residents and estate owners (with an associated sense of "moral superiority" implied by the not-terribly-subtle implication that the former are a bit like welfare recipients living in government housing); it is also frankly a bit insulting.

I am sure that some of the residents of Bellisseria would love to have land of their "own" to develop. For that matter, even I would love to have land to do things with.

But a great many of them are in Bellisseria because they are not particularly interested in creating a safe little gated community of like-minded souls. They are there because of the diversity of people. They don't want to just live in a bubble. The very best communities in SL that I've known have all been, with one exception only, very open and diverse, without any gate-keeping or filtering at all.

Bellisseria is not a "fallback" or a "second best" or a "I wish I could live away from the sweating masses and the hoi polloi": it's a treasure in its own right, to be enjoyed for its own sake. As a community, it is open, diverse, and welcoming.

Hell, they might even welcome me as a neighbour one day. And believe me, you'd have to be welcoming to tolerate me next door.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Who would have ever thought that Bellisseria would have developed into such a vibrant, mixed and socially active community?

For lands where ban lines are prohibited (yes, PROHIBITED!), security systems must give a minimum of 15 seconds warning and only eject, not send home, and must not have any action at all on the 400 to 2000m high zone (thus permitting freedom of flight throughout all parts of Bellisseria), and anyone can visit the public areas, you might have thought that this would have degenerated into one of the most awful places to take up digital residence.

Quite the opposite! Not only is there a great sense of, and pride in, community, but a pretty good mix of people making it up too.

I have an inkling that the "openess" of Bellisseria would not suit @Tolya Ugajin at all, irrespective of the size or grandeur of the parcels.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

What I want is what I used to have, a place (or even places, I am so greedy, lol) to go dance and talk and listen to music. And I used to have what I would guess you would call a RP sim, a female-only BDSM sim where I spent hours and hours, and there were always people around and lots of interactions. Sadly, I do not find places that fit my wants these days, so I just spend all my time wandering about alone. It's fine, though, honestly I have a lot stuff I should be doing instead of being in SL, lol.

Bellisseria can't provide the BDSM but there are events going on within the continent nearly every day; there's a thriving entertainment scene there and everyone is very friendly. Some residents have turned their homes into public venues; there's a popular Blues Cafe and a coffee-shop and even a formal ballroom. And of course the Fairgrounds for major, Linden-supported events like the current Bellisseria-on-Ice.

There's a group called Bellisseria Events; I recommend joining it and going along to some of them to get a feel for the people there. You don;t have to be a Belli resident to attend the events.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

351 prims. Pretty easy to have a nice home being as the house is already there and gorgeous as is most of the landscaping. 

I have the other land to build on. And as mentioned, scaled down substantially this past year realizing I didn't need what I had. Probably, will scale down next year again and may even give it up. 

I have Linden land for community. 

I think that's fairly easy to grasp.

Last equating living in Linden homes to living in RL government housing  - well I have no words to describe how outlandish and out of touch with reality that statement sounds. You do realize this is all virtual and goes away when the you turn off the computer, right? 🤨 

Edited by Elora Lunasea

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A lot of silliness

My eyes are rolling so much it hurts.  "Violently imposed?"  The histrionics have gone beyond nonsensical.

If my posts reek of "isms" (the use of which has devolved into the current day equivalent of sticking ones tongue out) then all these posts attacking me simply for laying out an alternative viewpoint reek of cultism.  BTW - I did tell you I was an elitist snob, but please don't equate that with "entitlement".  How can one believe they are "entitled" to anything that they have to pay for and then build for themselves?  That's inane.

I could lay out the rather obvious parallels of how LL is indeed the "government" of SL, etc. but it's clearly pointless.

People can live wherever they please - I have pointed out there ARE alternatives and other ways of looking for the ideal place FOR THEM.

The image of the brunette is cute, but I'm taken and I have no interest in dynamiting anything.

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Bellisseria can't provide the BDSM but there are events going on within the continent nearly every day; there's a thriving entertainment scene there and everyone is very friendly. Some residents have turned their homes into public venues; there's a popular Blues Cafe and a coffee-shop and even a formal ballroom. And of course the Fairgrounds for major, Linden-supported events like the current Bellisseria-on-Ice.

There's a group called Bellisseria Events; I recommend joining it and going along to some of them to get a feel for the people there. You don;t have to be a Belli resident to attend the events.

Thanks for the suggestions, Matty! :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.