Looking for a nice neighborhood

Zweifel22

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You might want to post in one of the Land Forum sub-forums, too. Even though you are wanting to rent rather than buy, you might get some suggestions there.

Otherwise, wow, it is hard to find rental properties. I have spent hours and hours and hours using in-world search and the Marketplace website followed by visiting a lot of places. And as Claireschen said, for a community experience, with activity, you probably would be best in Bellisseria. The 'rent' would be $100/year, though, at the cheapest (though I think you can get a Premium account for $90/year atm).

You may be better off finding a more general place that caters to your tastes rather than going premium to get a "free" home, where your neighbors will just be randomly assigned people and their houses just cookie cutter homes like low-end subdivisions in RL.  Many private sims focused on a specific theme offer rental homes, which obviously means your neighbors are more likely to be into the sorts of things you are, which is a better basis for relationships than just being suckered into premium for the free house.  Plus, you'll generally have a lot more options of what you want to do with your home.

• Like 1

The older Linden Home regions were like what Tolya describes.  Bellisseria, on the other hand, seems to have developed an active and vibrant community; many of the people there are long-time SL residents.

On the other hand, Tolya does have a point.  If you are into roleplaying, some roleplay regions offer rental properties.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You may be better off finding a more general place that caters to your tastes rather than going premium to get a "free" home, where your neighbors will just be randomly assigned people and their houses just cookie cutter homes like low-end subdivisions in RL.

ehm :) , .. this are the Linden Homes 2.0  :)

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Campers_9.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Image9.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_The_Hardy.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Image4.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Victorian_1.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Campers_12.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

You may be better off finding a more general place that caters to your tastes rather than going premium to get a "free" home, where your neighbors will just be randomly assigned people and their houses just cookie cutter homes like low-end subdivisions in RL.

Yeah, what Lindal and Alwin say above.

Linden homes, and the places hosting them, have come a long way in the past year. LL really seems to have done this right (some unfortunate glitches during the initial rollout notwithstanding. These are not only beautiful homes in very well-designed neighbourhoods: they are actual communities, with frequent events and well-used public areas such as parks and beaches.

I'm not Premium, and I'm also not really into the whole suburban thing myself, but even I like exploring and hanging out in Bellisseria: it's quite beautiful, there are people around, and it's been designed with vehicular traffic in mind. I love tearing around the streets there on my scooter!

If LL ever comes out with a more urban-themed Linden home area, I'll likely go Premium myself: these are really nice places to live.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I rest my case.  Thank you for providing the visual evidence to support my position

Oh pish posh.

Ok, so you don't like suburbia. Neither do I, which is why these communities haven't yet enticed me into premium.

But there are lots of people who do, and their taste and preferences are every bit as important and valid as yours or mine. And these are definitely superior suburbs: there's nothing "cookie-cutter" about these neighbourhoods. They are vastly more varied, spacious, and well-designed than the RL subdivisions being churned out nowadays. And real communities have developed in Bellisseria. Stop being contemptuous of other people's social and aesthetic aspirations!

What would you prefer to see? What kind of community do you want to live in? Instead of deriding the preferences of others, give us some idea of alternatives!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh pish posh.

Ok, so you don't like suburbia. Neither do I, which is why these communities haven't yet enticed me into premium.

But there are lots of people who do, and their taste and preferences are every bit as important and valid as yours or mine. And these are definitely superior suburbs: there's nothing "cookie-cutter" about these neighbourhoods. They are vastly more varied, spacious, and well-designed than the RL subdivisions being churned out nowadays. And real communities have developed in Bellisseria. Stop being contemptuous of other people's social and aesthetic aspirations!

What would you prefer to see? What kind of community do you want to live in? Instead of deriding the preferences of others, give us some idea of alternatives!

Scylla, you should know me better by now.  I wouldn't live in a Linden home simply because I am too much of an elitist snob.  The houses I prefer to live in take 1/4 sim - just for the house.

I'll take your word for it and stipulate, based purely on your recommendation, that Linden homes are fine for someone who cannot afford better or is just looking for a place to log in and rez things.  But, you're focusing on the HOME, and not the COMMUNITY.  Nice homes do not make a nice community.  My original point was that if the OP wants a nice neighborhood with a nice community feel, they should seek out the sort of place with the sorts of people and events and so forth that they enjoy, and look for a rental THERE.  You know, like finding a nice urban neighborhood downtown near a great coffee shop, a terrific book store, and a few trendy clubs, and convenient for getting to work, and then taking an apartment near the park that is in your price range, rather than just going with the easy answer of "just go premium".

Edited by Tolya Ugajin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The older Linden Home regions were like what Tolya describes.  Bellisseria, on the other hand, seems to have developed an active and vibrant community; many of the people there are long-time SL residents.

On the other hand, Tolya does have a point.  If you are into roleplaying, some roleplay regions offer rental properties.

I have rented in 'themed/managed' places before, and the big problem was that noone was ever around when I was on, even if most of the places were rented. People tend to be so spread out across time zones it can be difficult to find a community that really has a sense of community. However, this is just my personal experience, and other people may find things to be different. At least I hope they do, lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Scylla, you should know me better by now.  I wouldn't live in a Linden home simply because I am too much of an elitist snob.  The houses I prefer to live in take 1/4 sim - just for the house.

I've taken a screenshot of this.

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I'll take your word for it and stipulate, based purely on your recommendation, that Linden homes are fine for someone who cannot afford better or is just looking for a place to log in and rez things.  But, you're focusing on the HOME, and not the COMMUNITY.  Nice homes do not make a nice community.  My original point was that if the OP wants a nice neighborhood with a nice community feel, they should seek out the sort of place with the sorts of people and events and so forth that they enjoy, and look for a rental THERE.  You know, like finding a nice urban neighborhood downtown near a great coffee shop, a terrific book store, and a few trendy clubs, and convenient for getting to work, and then taking an apartment near the park that is in your price range, rather than just going with the easy answer of "just go premium".

I think you're missing half of what I've been saying. What makes Bellisseria exciting and new isn't the nice homes -- although they are nice. It's the actual communities that have developed there. There are regular events: beach parties, live music, and a great deal else. There are external web sites that have been built by Bellisserian residents to list and promote these. They've produced navigation HUDs and interactive maps showing travel routes and rez zones throughout the continent, and have just added an airfield, because they want to encourage people to travel around the community. (And they do!)

I don't even have a home in Bellisseria, and I go there! Why? Because it's the closest I've found to a community-oriented place in SL in probably 8 years.

I'm totally with you, in terms of the urban flavour that I prefer. But Bellisseria already has many of these things. And it is working.

Do some exploring there, Tolya! Seriously. You'll be surprised.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

INice homes do not make a nice community.  My original point was that if the OP wants a nice neighborhood with a nice community feel, they should seek out the sort of place with the sorts of people and events and so forth that they enjoy, and look for a rental THERE.

Good luck finding that these days, lol.

EDIT: Apparently other than in Bbellissarria, lol.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've taken a screenshot of this.

I think you're missing half of what I've been saying. What makes Bellisseria exciting and new isn't the nice homes -- although they are nice. It's the actual communities that have developed there. There are regular events: beach parties, live music, and a great deal else. There are external web sites that have been built by Bellisserian residents to list and promote these. They've produced navigation HUDs and interactive maps showing travel routes and rez zones throughout the continent, and have just added an airfield, because they want to encourage people to travel around the community. (And they do!)

I don't even have a home in Bellisseria, and I go there! Why? Because it's the closest I've found to a community-oriented place in SL in probably 8 years.

I'm totally with you, in terms of the urban flavour that I prefer. But Bellisseria already has many of these things. And it is working.

Do some exploring there, Tolya! Seriously. You'll be surprised.

Tried finding it in search.  As best I can tell, it's under water, so, yep, was rather surprised 😛

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ehm :) , .. this are the Linden Homes 2.0  :)

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Image9.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Victorian_1.png

New_Linden_Homes_2019_Campers_12.png

Ah yes... life in the low end ghetto...

I spent my childhood in an inner city ghetto, with another side of my family out in 'Lake County' in a trailer park ghetto...

Linden Homes 2.0 ain't no ghetto...

Not low end either.

Now... sometimes they can be a bit 'cookie cutter'...

But it's that...

Or this:

be798adf12adce81d5c2e87ae1b33360.jpg

- Welcome to mainland, this is considered one of the best parts...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We've discussed this, Tolya. I'm not into S/M. I don't consent to you being sadistic.

Therefore, you have to do it.

Right?

/me thinks a moment

/me thinks some more

/me raise a finger to make a point, and realizes it's not valid

/me ponders some more.

image.png.bd7f5e65f737280a3b570e70613130a5.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We've discussed this, Tolya. I'm not into S/M. I don't consent to you being sadistic.

Therefore, you have to do it.

Right?

Hmm, I seem to recall a photo and an exchange between the two of you in a sorta-eponymous thread a while back...too lazy to look for it, but I think it is there...

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.