What happened to family communities?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

... Whenever, wherever, nu-nu-nuh be together..! 

(Yeah, that's about as much as I remember).

I don't blame you, since half the words are made up. But damn it's good.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In fairness, 10 years is a long time in terms of musical styles. Someone who is 30 now probably grew up listening to some now largely forgotten artists.

Like Jennifer Lopez and Shakira.

I'm having a hard time believing that the noise young people listened to in the early aughts is starting to get old enough for the oldies rotation. :P

funny-grumpy-old-man-meme.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think another thing you aren't seeing is that a lot of todays "Rpers" (from my experince as of late) expect smut to be involved.. A lot.  Even in the pg communities, it saddens me that it has become like that.  A lot of "Families" I've encountered are usually in the club scene doing some incestwincesty BS.

...I think I spend too much time on Reddit now.

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

They are still around its good to know the surrounding if the vibe is right. See how you like the place first before diving in if you get a house try it for a week first. if its not for you move to the next you can all way's visit.  I use to live at a few places through the years not much of role player but like to get in to character.  Just have to know you feel at home be free do what you enjoy.

Edited by Vanoralynna
On 12/27/2019 at 4:07 PM, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I read a lot of stuff about Bellisseria groups, so I tend to avoid them. 

Ah. This may explain why it seems 'dead' to you.

Speaking from the position of someone who is making their own sim that would one day I hope to host a community, there's a difference in perception regarding people 'living' on sim between me and others:-

Most people here are saying that by having a home in their RP sim of choice, they would be more likely to stay there longer (implying, it would make it more active)

From my perception, I've always had the feeling that, there are a lot of RP sims I've visited, where everyone is scattered across the map in private homes or on their own in general, creating a sort of 'wild west' atmosphere where everyone is there but nobody is participating together. There are certain sims I visit where it actually begins to feel genuinely a bit spooky and actually serves to amplify the feeling that you're an outsider.

One thing I've in the past considered is allowing people to move into 'doors' (I wouldn't charge for this) and let people 'connect' their 'doors' to their own off-sim parcels wherever on the grid they might be. That way people could have their own privacy (which I could not offer in my sim in my case because the layout of my sim isn't appropriate for parcels), and still feel like they are 'connected' to the sim in some way, but I am not sure how people would feel about this sort of arrangement?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem I found is that most community sims aren't communities. Having a bunch of houses or stores isn't enough when everyone just stays in their houses and tps in and out (much like the problems with modern suburbs). There has to be something going on and people in the streets.

• Like 3
On 6/3/2020 at 3:58 AM, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

The problem I found is that most community sims aren't communities. Having a bunch of houses or stores isn't enough when everyone just stays in their houses and tps in and out (much like the problems with modern suburbs). There has to be something going on and people in the streets.

Homes are the worst things for RP communities as they encourage people to stay inside and not mix with other people. 

The best RP communities where RP actually occurs have things like active schools, bars / inns /taverns and things like faction RP. Think armies in medieval times or gangs and police in modern sims. Those are great because they give clear identities of us and them. E.g we're elves and we hate orcs so we're at war with that faction etc. 

A good RP sim won't be too large either. This has a number of benefits. The first being cost. It's cheaper to have a smaller sim and because it is cheaper there is less need for rentals (homes) to recoup fees, meaning you can have more social areas. The other benefit is that there are less opportunities to spread out and hide. You see it all the time, a full sim with 5 people on it and the place feels empty because you have to walk miles to meet someone. 

I personally think the best way forward for RP communities is smaller sims say 1/4th or even 1/8th. Or at the very least make a full sim smaller by reducing land mass and having more water etc or by doing the same with mountains. 

• Like 1
On 12/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

I been trying to find an active place to maybe rent at and besides the ones I already know I couldn't find anything with enough active people. Did the linden homes "steal" the residents that like to live in communities? Did the whole 'family' trend die?

The things I was looking for in a community:

- Light role play, a place to live at rather than having a main story line and character application;
- Focus on text, I'm not really into voice;
- Realistic setting (no fantasy/humans only);
- With active residents;
- Consolidated (have been around for sometime or can be around for sometime and not closing out of nowhere);
- Not populated by bots.

I'm either using the wrong keywords or those places died. Any suggestions?

Come check out Stoat Hollow. We have small cottages, art gallery (under construction), farmers market, and performing arts center where we'll have theatrical events, concerts and more. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Routley/169/238/34

On 6/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Kyle Burum said:

- With active residents;

It's a good discussion, because we all wonder what activates residents, and it's been my observation that what causes group-formations to occur, and then bind together, is purpose.  Shared purpose.

Hence, the more active group roleplays are often seen in the combat roleplay sims, and this, gives a peek into why that is. The purpose is there, built into the storyline that all can understand and align to, creating common goals. So, any community rp lacking some kind of leadership vision toward this, demonstrating it, drawing others into it, will be a community that is one of separate individualities.  Yes, you will always have individuals, and that's fine and they are "active residents." But what we are really talking about here is the formation of groups.

I like individuality, but I love group roleplays. They're fun, when they are alive, not dead.  For groups to function (for residents to be active together) we need a common understood focus, that serves as the binding purpose, and this becomes related to the region itself, and the build. But to get deeper on it, think of Cesar Millan, the dog whisperer, who could take disparate, emotional, individual dogs, agitated, uncertain, aggressive, and calm them almost instantly by bringing them all together into a sudden group, all leashed individually to himself as he opens the gate and walks out. And they all follow. This is a "Wow" moment in their minds. They are now turned to a common direction by the simple act of forward motion, and they perceive this in their biological cores.  They are now suddenly and eagerly a natural group on a common purpose: movement forward as a pack. It's an amazing sight. They walk together down the streets, along parkways, individual dogs snarling before are now suddenly a single common thing, sniffing out the unknown world around them, by a leader who's vision they follow, who turned them to this purpose.

This is primal.  It is larger than individuality.  We are pack animals too, in our own ways.

Sure, forming a group of humans can be just sitting around drinking beer and bitching about politics, but that's short lived, and lacks real adhesion, since the main purpose is really just to hang out and drink beer and kill some time. Okay, that's a "one" on the list of top ten attributes of a group, or maybe it's a "three."  If you want an eight or nine or ten, you will then be able to clearly discern a group's defined purpose and how much the members value that purpose, and you will be able to detect how you might attach yourself to that common purpose, and thus individually contribute to it, even elevate it.  Yeah, that can be drinking beer in a pub, if there are good voices to keep common threads lively.

There may not be many groups like this in game. Perhaps it's time a new one or two were created.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.