Is is legal to start a group that will warn others of known scams

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I paid for 2 scripts to be custom made and after hearing the man cry he had no food to eat RL I paid him upfront after that he refused to do the scripts and his friend threaten me that if I took this to LL he would tell 3000 Scripters not to do business with me. I sent LL 2 abuse reports and want to know if I can start a group and a magazine to warn people of these types of scams

Hi, I will recommend you to start a blog outside SL instead of a group in SL. I may be mistaken, I don't memorize the TOS, but I mean that he can complain to LL and get a group taken down.

LL can't enforce the TOS on blogs outside SL. You can also google SL + Forums and find other forums where it is allowed to name names. Be prepared that he and his friends will come there to tell HIS side of the story. It can be very ugly. Is it worth it? 

It is up to you what you do with it of course. I will just say that you should never pay more money upfront than you are ready to loose.  

ditto

The problem with going public is that the other side can enlist friends to lie, and there is absolutely no way that readers can know who is telling the truth, so the victim can end up smelling of as much s**t as the thief. For that reason, a blog is perhaps the best option if going public is felt to be a necessity.

starting an inworld group specifically for this purpose will only net you inworld drama, and probably a ban for harrasment by targeting an individual or group.

you need to file a fraud report, as well as a report for harrassment (threatening to defame you by telling others not to work with you)

if you want to pursue it, LL has no control over what is said or done outside of the domain of secondlife and linden lab owned properties, but I doubt you'll see much help from that.

in the future I suggest getting a signed contract for work, or at the very least not paying for it all before work is done on it. then if the contract is broken you can take it to RL authorities or at the very least lose less money.

Eryka Caramel wrote:

I paid for 2 scripts to be custom made and after hearing the man cry he had no food to eat RL I paid him upfront after that he refused to do the scripts and his friend threaten me that if I took this to LL he would tell 3000 Scripters not to do business with me. I sent LL 2 abuse reports and want to know if I can start a group and a magazine to warn people of these types of scams

Well,

You might not be on the best footing if you form a group with the express purpose of badmouthing another resident, regardless of how justified it is.  You would have to be very careful with your wording as to not break the TOS yourself, it would have rather limited effect since most people would dismiss your "warning" as just some inter-personal drama, and you would open yourself to similiar actions by the person who wronged you in the first place.  I think you would just be opening a big ol' can of worms and in the end find it all to be far more trouble than it's worth.  Don't try to out grief a griefer unless you really are up for it. 

As far as this particular incident goes...

I find "sob stories" like the ones that the alleged perp regaled you with are more the providence of beggars and con-artists than professionals.  You should have been wary from the start.

You can't really orginize more than a handful of scripters without one of them wandering off  (they are worse than an herd of cats)... This guy claiming that he has influence over a group of 3000 of them is about as factual as his sob stories.  I wouldn't worry about that.  If your lindens are good, then someone will sell you whatever.

He is probably talking about one of the scripting groups.  If I were you, I would call his bluff, tell him that you reported him and then join some of the bigger scripting groups to see if he does indeed call you out by name.  Then... report his butt again to both the group and to LL.

When filing abuse reports, be sure to include as much documentation as you can.  You can't post chat logs publicly, but you sure as heck can attach them to an AR.  Post a log of the threats and send it in to LL.  Odds are nothing will be done, the enforcement of the TOS is so inconsistant as to be considered a joke, but you never know.  Perhaps the right Linden will read it at the right time and their whim will favor you. 

So... Just curious, what did you want made and how much did you pay for it?  How much did he take you for?

Agreed on scripters being like a herd of cats :matte-motes-whistle:

Good luck controlling the actions of 3000 of us LOL

You already did the right thing, the best thing, an Abuse Report is all that needs to be done. An AR identifies the scammer to the authorities & they will take action (eventually), anything beyond that will be most likely only to cause you drama.

You learned something the hard way, so just be more cautious with your business dealings in future :matte-motes-impatient:

Such a group would obviously be started with good intentions, but to be effective would need to have 1000s of economically-active residents in it and some way to verify what is genuine scams from ****-talking, smear campaigns, half-truths and untruths.

he was suppose to make me a appointment board full rights and resale and a vendor that was also a butto to temp rezz and have catgorgires driven bt menu and i paid him close to 8K and why i paid him up front as because he said his puppies were hungry and had no food as he didnt either so i felt bad and gave him money and then evn tipped him extra see i love animals and the puppies got to me

Agreed Cabbage, it's despicable really :matte-motes-not-even:

Good that some mentors checked in on him, lots of lies there and I see (hopefully) Linden Lab will be catching up with him soon from your AR. My wishes is that you do see all payment refunded properly to your account, since no service was rendered in return for your payment. That falls under scam/fraud in my books.

/me gets done moving cats across the midwest plains to a new catnip field

What, you never hearded cats and drove them before!?

/me calls midgets with tiny basset hounds and whips to speed up the straglers and chuckles "More unbeleivers Earl, can you beleive it!"

I know I did sctipting for someone and I also know that 10USD$ can buy some food. I mean, a can of food in many countries must be less than 75cents US dolllars, right?  But SL at the library? Gosh, a freinds house? Can't they feed them lol? I guess 10cents of electricity is no biggy, but yeah,....some don't have themoney for food as they spend it all on neet connections to live a cheap social life in SL. Seriously, you can sit around in no clothes and post ect. and have far less laundry bill then going on. Heck, you end up spending all day on SL anyway right...so yeah, might as well just not go out and hang in the house and peel off that last pair of pants you wore for 3 days..1.3 the laundry expenses man! 

Anyway....back to hunt for cat rustlers and other scoundrels of the cat **bleep** valleys I must stay in until mating season is over./meturns to earl and shakes his head "Hey Earl!..yeah...that's right Earl, that one doesn't respond to whips, give him a phone and tell him it's the IRS"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4702 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.