Are there sims/regions dedicated to psychological horror?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I don't mean horror of the gorefest kind or just jump scares or whatever. I mean horror that actually messes with your mind and will question your sanity.

Strange thing other day I was looking for zombie fighting roleplay sims, could not find any but back in the day was a dozen or more. with animated mesh and rezz timers it would seem someone would openup a resident evil type shooter.

2 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I don't mean horror of the gorefest kind or just jump scares or whatever. I mean horror that actually messes with your mind and will question your sanity.

1 hour ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Nothing to compete with the general discussion forums. 

I guess you're not scripters.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

Strange thing other day I was looking for zombie fighting roleplay sims, could not find any but back in the day was a dozen or more. with animated mesh and rezz timers it would seem someone would openup a resident evil type shooter.

My whole region is a Zombie fighting sim.. Good to know my advertising dollars are being well used as my sim didnt even show up.

There was a serious sim once that showed you what it was like to have schizophrenia. You had to wear a hud and as you walked around a voice would come out of nowhere and say things. It was a little disturbing. I'd say that there have been games and movies that try to mess with your mind but it is difficult to do because the audience is just watching a screen. I think VR is probably the best way to mess with people's minds because of how immersive it is. I played a few VR horror demos and even have the Resident Evil game and it is very scary without any obvious scenes of horror or jump scares. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

There was a serious sim once that showed you what it was like to have schizophrenia. You had to wear a hud and as you walked around a voice would come out of nowhere and say things. It was a little disturbing. 

If you have a landmark to this place or a similar one, I'd be very interested, please. Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

There was a serious sim once that showed you what it was like to have schizophrenia. You had to wear a hud and as you walked around a voice would come out of nowhere and say things. It was a little disturbing. 

That's the place I mentioned.  This is an article that described it, but again it has long since gone so the SLURL is out-of-date. https://psychcentral.com/blog/ever-wonder-what-a-visual-or-auditory-hallucination-was-like/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I remember it very well; it was absolutely brilliant. What was most horrifying about it was that it was describing and vividly recreating a real life affliction.

17 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

What happened on the schizophrenia simulation place? Voices, hallucinations? 

It was a walk through exhibit, with narrative describing the conditions of schizophrenia. The audio, which featured whispering voices counseling self-harm among other things, was deeply disturbing, but there were also scripted and interactive visuals. I remember particularly a mirror, and the face in it transforming terrifyingly.

It did play as a very effective "horror" experience, but it was of course most centrally about educating people about schizophrenia. I wish I remembered more details: what remains foremost in my mind about it was the sense I had at the time, having completed it, that I didn't feel strong enough to contemplate doing it again.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

If you go through all the paths and levels at Shaman's Hut, this may happen, but you would have to think and feel and take time, and few have the patience for that in SL.

It may be, like a lot of people, you want something that does all the work for you and wows you and grabs you -- floors upheaving, spirits screeching, furniture gaslighting, etc. 

But these days, you can stay on a bog-standard garden-variety sim with things disappearing and odd things happening due to the software glitches and the same effect is achieved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.