Those crazy neighbors...

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

That whole mess is offensive, but the confederate flag flying over the house is absolutely considered intolerance according to LL. Imagine if you were a POC living next to that. Or, you know, any normal human being that doesn't ascribe to hate. 

Oh ffs. I guess that was added since the pic was taken? At any rate, can't say I'm surprised.  

Is the flag over 15 meters tall?  If so, it's a Covenant Violation.

Is the yard sign, placed right up next to the fence/border, over 4 meters tall?  If so, it counts as a wall that is a Covenant Violation.

Is it out of theme?  That would depend on the size of the sign, I suppose.  Even if within the normal height limitations, is it gaudy?

And it does call to question which political statements are OK, which aren't?  Cuz if Linden Labs is going to allow ANYTHING, I've sure got a lot of signs I'd like to put up.  Maybe even wear them.  I mean, standing two centimeters from the border of this place, on public land, with a giant prim attached to my pelvis, wouldn't be a covenant violation.  Not that I'd advocate everyone going to this place to do that.

One other way it does violate covenant is that it's out of season -- the election is months away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Also, the dozens of CasperVend boxes inside are questionable as well, I think. Would that be considered commercial activity? 

According to his profile he doesn't support the furry, gay, black agenda. 

Quelle surprise.

Wait.  Now there's a fury gay black agenda?

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Lucille Babenco said:

A simple question, does anyone know if show political messages/signs in public is against TOS?

It's not against the SL TOS.  The question is whether or not it violates the Linden Homes covenant.  The 'full bright' part very well could, but I'm not so sure about the sign itself just because it is political.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

This is not a prank.  I do not think real-life local politics are in-theme.  Do we want to see campaign posters for Bolsonaro?  Trudeau?  same thing. 

Easter bunnies should be fine because of holiday decorating rules.  Especially as they are a secular holiday decoration.  Tho I wouldn't cavil at religious decorations ... as you say, kindness is in order, particularly nowadays.

With regard to the Trump campaign poster, from the covenant:

Agreed. I don't care who the sign is for, I don't think it's personally in theme.  I wouldn't quite put it in the crazy neighbor category (if there's a confederate flag around that's another matter), but politics is unnecessarily divisive, especially these days. 

There was an SL vendor selling a crucifixion scene (I believe it was in Steals and Deals one weekend). While I'm not against religious symbolism at all, I think that would go too far.

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:
6 hours ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

Seriously...?

What region is this in?

Careful about the asking and the telling of that.  We have been warned in this thread that it definitely should not be about calling out specifically identifiable people/parcels.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and why not?... the anti trumps are quite well represented, so why should pro be deleted?

Really?  I haven't seen any anti-Trump or pro-Biden signs in SL, have you?  Just because someone expresses an anti-Trump sentiment in the forums, doesn't mean that person puts up campaign signs inworld.  You note that my objection to it included a Trudeau campaign sign as equally out of theme.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

That whole mess is offensive, but the confederate flag flying over the house is absolutely considered intolerance according to LL. Imagine if you were a POC living next to that. Or, you know, any normal human being that doesn't ascribe to hate. 

Them are some darn good eyes.  I can't find a flag of any sort flying over the house in the picture.  Or maybe I missed something somewhere.

Ahh, I think I get it.  Later posts imply you've been to the house and that is where you saw the flag - I'm assuming anyway.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Them are some darn good eyes.  I can't find a flag of any sort flying over the house in the picture.  Or maybe I missed something somewhere.

Ahh, I think I get it.  Later posts imply you've been to the house and that is where you saw the flag - I'm assuming anyway.

I wouldn't be able to see it in the picture if I hadn't been to the house... it's in the upper right hand corner of the picture. The yellow.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and why not?... the anti trumps are quite well represented, so why should pro be deleted?

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes really

if people don't like it, it's just a click to derender it

We're talking about inworld campaign signage, and my question to you is, where in Belli have you seen anti-Trump or pro-Trump-opponent opinions "represented" with signage?  I get around, and haven't seen any.  I don't believe any RL campaign signage is in-theme.

And I suppose it is just a click ... after anyone using LL's viewer downloads Firestorm (or some other viewer with derender).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

We're talking about inworld campaign signage, and my question to you is, where in Belli have you seen anti-Trump or pro-Trump-opponent opinions "represented" with signage?  I get around, and haven't seen any.

the fact many jump on this, relative, small expression of political choice, is in itself a huge sign of anti trump opinions. It doesnt need other visible signs.
The house is tracable with the region name posted.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the fact many jump on this, relative, small expression of political choice, is in itself a huge sign of anti trump opinions

Fair enough.  Tell you what ... you make an alt who posts some anti-Trump signage inworld and let your 'discovery' of it be known, and I'll be happy to AR that too :)

Meanwhilst, I enjoy your posts on other topics, so I hope you don't flounce if others may disagree with your political views.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nika Talaj said:

so I hope you don't flounce if others may disagree with your political views.

it's not a political view of me, i have nothing with those weirdo's running in, or to, that white house. It's the denied double standard people show inworld and on the forums.

• Like 3

Don't tell me what viewer to use.  The property of that sign I object to is FULLBRIGHT.  If they wanna do it right they should put an actual light source on it as realistically as possible.  I like the colors.  Kinda don't care what it says.

8 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Kinda don't care what it says.

I care what it says.  I care quite emphatically.  Words have a rippling power to them and my friends and family in RL have been caused a lot of suffering due to patriotic statements growing into xenophobia, distrust, outright hate.  

But that said - I agree with Alwin.  I see a lot of similar presumption and exclusion on 'my side of the fence', and while it'd certainly be easier for me to just hate a whole group of people who seem hateful right back,  it's sort of missing out a chunk of humanity in the process.  I don't want eye for an eye, dehumanizing label for dehumanizing label.  I want mediation, empathy, compromise.  That'd be.. really refreshing.

I can't stand Trump, personally, and I think he has promoted dangerous ideologies and made the world a whole lot less friendly for me and the ones I love.  I also think many people supported or continue to support him for reasons other than hate - some out of fear for their livelihoods, or a desire to be heard, or a desire to 'shake up' the system.  Canceling friends and family who support Trump only divides them from me further.  I can't expect them to attempt to understand how I feel if I refuse to attempt understanding for their point of view.

I personally think this signage was intended to ruffle feathers, as it has done in this chat.  It certainly ruffled mine when I came across it myself a week ago.   But as much as I personally would desire it to come down, I desire more to live in a community of communication, expression, creativity, without censorship or double standards on either/any side. 

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.