Jump to content
Trinity1776

Those crazy neighbors...

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Elyeah said:

Yes it had gone before I AR'd it ... maybe the owner was disturbed by RL and then came back and put it...  out like a sore thumb xD

Yeah if gone that fast it might have been one of those moments where you rez something and it seems to never show up...

...

so you happily go about your business and then an hour later you look outside and are like...

OMG WTF IS THAT!!!...

and then realize it's the thing you thought failed to rez... because mesh, and camera targetting rezzing... can be... weird sometimes...

O.o

Been there... done that...

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah if gone that fast it might have been one of those moments where you rez something and it seems to never show up...

...

so you happily go about your business and then an hour later you look outside and are like...

OMG WTF IS THAT!!!...

and then realize it's the thing you thought failed to rez... because mesh, and camera targetting rezzing... can be... weird sometimes...

O.o

Been there... done that...

 

I still remember a stove that I rezzed on a Mainland parcel that I rented many years ago. I cammed around and couldn’t find it. It was no copy, too. Weeks later I noticed it a couple regions away. It was early on, so I hadn’t learned the trick of looking on the mini-map to locate my items. I guess the person whose land it was on hadn’t logged  in awhile and had left build on. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LuLu Starbrook said:

I still remember a stove that I rezzed on a Mainland parcel that I rented many years ago. I cammed around and couldn’t find it. It was no copy, too. Weeks later I noticed it a couple regions away. It was early on, so I hadn’t learned the trick of looking on the mini-map to locate my items. I guess the person whose land it was on hadn’t logged  in awhile and had left build on. 

Many years ago on mainland when I lived in a region by the name of Pruni if I remember right; I got some crazy wild rant from some nutter who said he was banning me and yadda yadda and how dare I leave stuff on his land...

I looked on the map and found he was about 10-20 regions south of me, somewhere I'd never been...

I still have no idea how my stuff got there... I've seen things rez pretty far away... but not THAT far away... O.o

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Many years ago on mainland when I lived in a region by the name of Pruni if I remember right; I got some crazy wild rant from some nutter who said he was banning me and yadda yadda and how dare I leave stuff on his land...

I looked on the map and found he was about 10-20 regions south of me, somewhere I'd never been...

I still have no idea how my stuff got there... I've seen things rez pretty far away... but not THAT far away... O.o

 

I think we need a "Wow" reaction. 😮

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My very first SL forums post, back in an earlier incarnation of these forums, was asking for help because I thought my house had eaten a rug. I'd rezzed the rug and it vanished, and I was a noob, so that seemed like the most logical explanation to me! 😂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still 'lose' things I rez from time to time. A sofa on the roof is not unusual on my parcel. But not for long now I know how to find stuff 😉

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elyeah said:

I still 'lose' things I rez from time to time. A sofa on the roof is not unusual on my parcel. But not for long now I know how to find stuff 😉

Especially as makers keep selling no copy items.  I try to avoid them, but sometimes they're just too incredible.  I make it a habit to rez everything in edit mode.  Sometimes it's crazy how items will rez underground or in the sky rather than ON a selected spot. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mitch Merricks said:

Especially as makers keep selling no copy items.  I try to avoid them, but sometimes they're just too incredible.  I make it a habit to rez everything in edit mode.  Sometimes it's crazy how items will rez underground or in the sky rather than ON a selected spot. 

I always rez a simple prim cube to rez "no copy" items onto. Good old prims never let you down (or at any rate, they don't fling your stuff up onto the roof!). :D 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I thought my house had eaten a rug.

SL houses do eat things. Here's my first home in Forgotten City trying to consume you...

594453220_SylviainWall_005.thumb.jpg.03b377663a90683c7bf9f4b61bd6d0bf.jpg

 

 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

SL houses do eat things. Here's my first home in Forgotten City trying to consume you...

594453220_SylviainWall_005.thumb.jpg.03b377663a90683c7bf9f4b61bd6d0bf.jpg

 

 

 

Good times! 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mitch Merricks said:

I make it a habit to rez everything in edit mode.  Sometimes it's crazy how items will rez underground or in the sky rather than ON a selected spot. 

Rez while Edit Tools is open is wise. As for items not rezzing where you thought, keep in mind that if you're viewer camera is *inside* a prim or solid object - you may not know it. Since you cannot rez an object inside an already-rezzed object, your new rez will end up on top of the object your camera is inside.

So, if you cam high (looking down) and your camera is inside that low ceiling of your LL home, which is a solid chunk of mesh from ceiling to rooftop, and you rez something on the floor... Guess where it ends up? LOL (You're actually trying to drop it inside the ceiling.)

Just a little answer to the mystery; no magic SL here, no aliens, or UFOs, or Linden conspiracies, nothing to see, move along...

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Rez while Edit Tools is open is wise. As for items not rezzing where you thought, keep in mind that if you're viewer camera is *inside* a prim or solid object - you may not know it. Since you cannot rez an object inside an already-rezzed object, your new rez will end up on top of the object your camera is inside.

If both you and your cam and the spot you want to rez to are ALL inside that object it won't do this.

My basic skybox set up is to rez a giant prim, and put my entire build inside of it. The prim acts as walls to people coming by, and because I'm inside of it I can see out even if the prim is opaque.

The same result if I use a 'mesh prim' set to physics type of 'physics'

- You can also move around inside of there even if the prim or mesh cube is set as a solid, non-phantom object - as long as it's type prim and NOT type convex hull.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there is another topic about preferred vehicles for travel in Bellisseria, but... well, I decided to post this picture here instead... Some neighbors in Piranhaconda Bay might not be happy. 

Snapshot_001.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww hey I know that starship!  It looks like a reskinned model of the Selene Cloud Hugger, from years and years back.  Nearly 180 LI I think.. and yeah, a touch out of theme in Belli :P  Nice little flash of nostalgia though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kelli Voom said:

Aww hey I know that starship!  It looks like a reskinned model of the Selene Cloud Hugger, from years and years back.  Nearly 180 LI I think.. and yeah, a touch out of theme in Belli :P  Nice little flash of nostalgia though.

That's the thing, I think. Covenant isn't about "your build or vehicle or addon" is bad and you should feel bad... as much as "it's a jarring distraction from the feel of an area". I hope the new continents will have a diversity of themes-  supporting fantasy, steampunk,  retro future,  snowy... etc. so everyone can fly their flag as it were. I happily jumped from the Trads when the Victorians came along, because it fit my decorating style  much better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ruya Sveiss said:

I know there is another topic about preferred vehicles for travel in Bellisseria, but... well, I decided to post this picture here instead... Some neighbors in Piranhaconda Bay might not be happy. 

Snapshot_001.jpg

I do hope you AR'd that.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kelli Voom said:

a touch out of theme in Belli :P  Nice little flash of nostalgia though.

29 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

That's the thing, I think. Covenant isn't about "your build or vehicle or addon" is bad and you should feel bad... as much as "it's a jarring distraction from the feel of an area".

Nothing about the covenant bans steampunk or sci-fi.

That vehicle does look to violate the height rules though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Nothing about the covenant bans steampunk or sci-fi.

That vehicle does look to violate the height rules though.

 

I think "in theme" may be a tad subjective... there are certainly Steampunk objects that would fit fine in the Victorians' area, just as modern cars in the driveways can just be seen as lending a San Francisco neighborhood of Painted Ladies feel... I still err on the side of de rend & move on if there isn't a height or overhang issue, but I also think if some (loose) standard of "in theme" isn't maintained that the new LH continents will eventually suffer from some of the issues that many dislike about mainland.

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

I think "in theme" may be a tad subjective... there are certainly Steampunk objects that would fit fine in the Victorians' area...

Most of the Victorians I've seen in RL have Teslas parked outside and a wall of tech inside - server rooms, development Macs, Alexas, and more. A lot of them also have wall-to-wall Graffiti, and homeless tents on the sidewalk... So when I see folks walking around on horses in Victorian regions... Should I be ARing that?

And... Starfleet Academy and the Federation's HQ are in San Francisco - a city full of Victorians. :P

I think if you start using 'theme' to get so picky about genre and style, we'll end up justifyably ARing EVERYONE.

 

Rather than as a genre tool... I'd look at that theme note as a cohesion rule... is the build out of place with itself and its immediate surroundings? Like sand over grass or grass over sand or trees of the wrong type for the ones around them.

 

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Most of the Victorians I've seen in RL have Teslas parked outside and a wall of tech inside - server rooms, development Macs, Alexas, and more. A lot of them also have wall-to-wall Graffiti, and homeless tents on the sidewalk... So when I see folks walking around on horses in Victorian regions... Should I be ARing that?

 

 

Nothing on the *inside* of a house needs to be AR'd unless it impacts the outside view (& I don't mean by peeking thru windows :p) . Homeless tents on public sidewalks are a clear issue of encroachment off one's own home plot. Also, horses seem very much *in theme*. Again- what is "in theme" is pretty much up to the Lindens to decide & I personally err on the side of not bothering them with stuff if I can just de rend.

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Nothing on the *inside* of a house needs to be AR'd unless it impacts the outside view (& I don't mean by peeking thru windows :p) . Homeless tents on public sidewalks are a clear issue of encroachment off one's own home plot.

I think you are purposefully trying to not understand my point...

One could just as easily put those tents inside the parcel bounds for a realistic Victorian... So let's not intentionally go into the weeds of a parallel-to-reality to avoid addressing what I'm actually referring to... stated just above... that using 'theme' as a tool to hold genre on people is going to lead to no build being without AR.

 

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I think you are purposefully trying to not understand my point...

I think you don't know me and that's a pretty big assumption. No I am clearly not understanding your point and so I've tried to lay mine out plainly, but  again-  A) multiple times I've said that I err on the side of de rend rather than report on issues esp. related to theme B) what is "in theme" is for the Lindens to decide and C) that I merely hoped other continents would encourage a diversity of builds so that many different genres would be supported.

You seem to be reading into what I wrote rather than taking me literally and I rather think our views aren't as unaligned as you seem to believe

Edited by Kitten Kaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I think you are purposefully trying to not understand my point...

One could just as easily put those tents inside the parcel bounds for a realistic Victorian... So let's not intentionally go into the weeds of a parallel-to-reality to avoid addressing what I'm actually referring to... stated just above... that using 'theme' as a tool to hold genre on people is going to lead to no build being without AR.

 

To be fair, I'm not understanding your point, either. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would just be nice if people did rezz what they wanted to but bear their neighbours in mind to make it nice for everyone. When I was home hopping one place I rezzed to the house next door had partical emitters and glowing trees in the garden. As I am on the SL viewer I didn't have a derender option and I abandoned within 5 minutes. Such a shame, and in hindsight I could have sent a message to the owner of that parcel who may have been unaware they were impacting the neigbours but I had the linden home lust flowing through my veins to see where I could get next, lol. That blimp thing though, seriously, lol.  Some things are worthy of an AR and some things an IM, lol 🥰

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...