Cornice and Baseboard Moldings for Victorian homes

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Blush ones do not have the texture you and I are using.

Here's what they look like with my attempt to match:

7b34b6570324d83e840945b30151ba95.jpg

b7846de46dfaa888e59f6958a3aed962.jpg

I also found some other full perm kits of walls for builders that included baseboards on MP, but these were a poor match for this design, though they would work if building a home of your own somewhere.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

I am a blender user, so I will have a go myself I think.  I got Blush's very kind dollarbie, but I do need an external corner too.

If I'm successful I'll make them available somehow.  May take a couple of days.

As to the Textures, that's going to be more difficult.  Edit: However I notice that the textures ARE in the Linden Lab pack, so we should be able to use those.  It will be the horizontal scaling that needs tweaking.

Edited by anna2358
added a note
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

Edit: However I notice that the textures ARE in the Linden Lab pack, so we should be able to use those.  It will be the horizontal scaling that needs tweaking.

While the BASE textures are in the pack, the actual molding textures are not, so there would be two ways to get that look (I'm not doing it :D, just putting forth some thoughts).  Normally the texture for the molding piece would be baked just like the original molding. Since it would be pretty hard to get that same look (lighting set up etc in Blender) then an EASIER way would be to take a photo of the molding inworld in bright no shadow light and use that as the texture inside blender and map to that.  I did something similar to that on the roofing for the traditionals.  

Also on the more rustic white trim inside the house, as far as I can tell that uses the exterior white texture but was made super spiffy looking with Substance Painter (or something similar). It definitely has that look.   Just a guess.   I only know two moles and they aren't supposed to know that I know them so NOT asking :D.  

Good luck and have fun!! :D.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Thanks 3

On 12/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

The Blush ones do not have the texture you and I are using.

Here's what they look like with my attempt to match:

7b34b6570324d83e840945b30151ba95.jpg

b7846de46dfaa888e59f6958a3aed962.jpg

I also found some other full perm kits of walls for builders that included baseboards on MP, but these were a poor match for this design, though they would work if building a home of your own somewhere.

The moldings are a good match as long as you use them as textured. The shading and highlights are very important to achieve the correct look. Here is a pic of how they look with the actual moldings in the Victorian homes. Mine is to the left with the original to the right. They are not an exact match by any means, and my hope is that the content kit will be updated to include matching moldings. But if you drop a plain texture on the ones in the home they will loose much of the detail as well as the baked on shadows and highlights are important.

7757698a13986087ca7a131039ea8e24.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The moldings are a good match as long as you use them as textured. The shading and highlights are very important to achieve the correct look. Here is a pic of how they look with the actual moldings in the Victorian homes. Mine is to the right with the original to the left. They are not an exact match by any means, and my hope is that the content kit will be updated to include matching moldings. But if you drop a plain texture on the ones in the home they will loose much of the detail as well as the baked on shadows and highlights are important.

7757698a13986087ca7a131039ea8e24.png

Will you be adding the medium shade as well at some point?

41 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Will you be adding the medium shade as well at some point?

I don't know how I missed that there was a medium color of woodwork. I made those the very first day of release and somehow missed it. I've now added moldings in medium to the package at the shop. Please remember these are not exact matches to the trim found in the actual homes but the closest I can get to it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the content packages will be updated with the woodwork pieces.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't know how I missed that there was a medium color of woodwork. I made those the very first day of release and somehow missed it. I've now added moldings in medium to the package at the shop. Please remember these are not exact matches to the trim found in the actual homes but the closest I can get to it. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that the content packages will be updated with the woodwork pieces.

Thanks, Blush! :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know, this isn't cornice and/or baseboard related, but it has to do with the Victorians, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it. So maybe someone still can give some advice. I'm pretty new to "building", but seeing pictures of people changing their floors and/or ceiling via a textured prim made me want to be brave and try. 😊
So I wanted to change the floor of my bathroom to some good ol' b&w tiles. So far so good - But I can't figure out how to work around that curve. If I just stretch the prim it is going to peek out of the walls. xD Is there any way to get this to work, or did I just have a dumb idea? *ducks in embarrassment*

649208790_BathroomFloor_001.jpg.0fda9164e47bfc9f2deb9189ba871cc4.jpg

28 minutes ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

I know, this isn't cornice and/or baseboard related, but it has to do with the Victorians, and I didn't want to start a new thread for it. So maybe someone still can give some advice. I'm pretty new to "building", but seeing pictures of people changing their floors and/or ceiling via a textured prim made me want to be brave and try. 😊
So I wanted to change the floor of my bathroom to some good ol' b&w tiles. So far so good - But I can't figure out how to work around that curve. If I just stretch the prim it is going to peek out of the walls. xD Is there any way to get this to work, or did I just have a dumb idea? *ducks in embarrassment*

A few ways: 

One is a full mesh model - folks that can create mesh well know how to create curves in it.  Most of the folks that are doing this will actually make the mesh piece cover floor and walls, and maybe ceilings, of multiple rooms.  That typically gives more bang for the buck as far as LI goes and then lets you customize many areas of the house.

Another way is multiple prims to get the fit you need, though that way takes more work to get your patterns to match - and depending on the actual curve can be a major PITA to create.  If you go this approach then when you link the pieces, if you set your root to Convex Hull you will typically end up using less LI than the total number of prims.

Finally, there is sort of a combo of those two:  Make the floor out of multiple prims to get the proper coverage and then use a Prim-to-Mesh generator to create a single mesh object from that with only a single face - that fixes the texture alignment issues.  I did something like this in the upper room on the Barnacle houseboat - created a wall towards the back and then divided the back section into a bath and closet.  Since the back of the Barnacle is curved, that was a true PITA because I am not a creator and had to mess around a lot to figure out how to get things to fit.

This pic shows the wall I created and one of the curved sections.  There is another curved wall inside that section so that I have two separate areas.  I have no doubt that a true mesh person could have done it much faster and much better looking.  The LI is only 4, which is basically the 2 doors and their rails -- so the wall itself doesn't count anymore.

Barnacle-Bedroom Wall (for bath & closet)

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

649208790_BathroomFloor_001.jpg.0fda9164e47bfc9f2deb9189ba871cc4.jpg

If you need help with something just IM Me in game. Im fairy good with building and can cut the floors to how they need to be in these victorians with a couple of prims.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Finally, there is sort of a combo of those two:  Make the floor out of multiple prims to get the proper coverage and then use a Prim-to-Mesh generator to create a single mesh object from that with only a single face - that fixes the texture alignment issues.  I did something like this in the upper room on the Barnacle houseboat - created a wall towards the back and then divided the back section into a bath and closet.  Since the back of the Barnacle is curved, that was a true PITA because I am not a creator and had to mess around a lot to figure out how to get things to fit.

Thank you! I'll try to fiddle with it. 🤗💐

37 minutes ago, Syane Jewell said:

If you need help with something just IM Me in game.

Thanks a lot for the offer! 🤗 If I fail to do it myself I might take you up on it. 😊

If people are meshing thingies, we also need these pillars, so we can extend decks, build patios that look nice, etc.  mocked up a deck extension to wrap around the back and down the side of the Hardy, looks weird without the right pillars :(

I imagine copy/mod versions of these would be popular on the marketplace!  And a full perm version would bring a pretty penny.  If it came with a few sizes of railings too that would be great ...

Thank you to anyone who might take this on!

848305901_VictorianPillarLindenHome.jpg.09bb0a71f00abd25c68a1b5ba6c716a9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.