Dur Der BOM and ALM?

December Larkham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have a TMP Legacy mesh body. I'm not sure if there is a certain way to apply the BOM to the body, but I just put on the skin, the proper alpha layer provided by lelutka (LeLutka.Alpha.Head&Body.BOM) and it applied wonderfully... without advanced lighting. I've had several friends ask me what's up with my avatar only to realize I look baaaad with ALM on. See the pictures below.

Without Advanced Lighting Materials activated

151d4e769e4708c0ddf143a87f6e0ee0.jpg

With Advanced Lighting Materials activated

62d26d93871770607527de31ae31a705.jpg

It just seems to register the tinting to the skin I did and the skin that was applied by hud to the legacy body. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here, or if it's just something that LL is working on? Thanks so much in advance! :D

2 hours ago, December Larkham said:

Without Advanced Lighting Materials activated

Not a viewer expert am I but I do not believe you will see any Materials effects at all if ALM is turned off.

As to your initial concern, I do not know how it is with the Legacy body but with the mesh body I use, I need to NOT use the whole-body system alpha. The BoM will hide the underlying system body without need of the alpha. For my body (Altamura) using the system whole-body alpha renders the body bright red.

Try taking off your alpha and see if that works.

Edited by DilliDallagio

14 hours ago, December Larkham said:

So I have a TMP Legacy mesh body. I'm not sure if there is a certain way to apply the BOM to the body, but I just put on the skin, the proper alpha layer provided by lelutka (LeLutka.Alpha.Head&Body.BOM) and it applied wonderfully... without advanced lighting. I've had several friends ask me what's up with my avatar only to realize I look baaaad with ALM on. See the pictures below.

It just seems to register the tinting to the skin I did and the skin that was applied by hud to the legacy body. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong here, or if it's just something that LL is working on? Thanks so much in advance! :D

The way the Legacy body uses materials and BOM causes it to not show BOM when advanced lighting is on. It's completely a Legacy problem - I know of no other body that does this. Bring it up with them.

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The way the Legacy body uses materials and BOM causes it to not show BOM when advanced lighting is on. It's completely a Legacy problem - I know of no other body that does this. Bring it up with them.

This is incorrect. I have never had any issue with BOM on Legacy body.

18 hours ago, December Larkham said:

I'm not sure if there is a certain way to apply the BOM to the body,

In your Legacy HUD there is a checkbox to turn on BOM. Turn this on and your BOM will work correctly in all viewers, all Windlight settings, All lighting options on or off.

Here is how to do it properly: https://www.meshbody.com/updates

5368e1_5464d503f3b94bf7bb4e95ad6a603d65~

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

This is incorrect. I have never had any issue with BOM on Legacy body.

In your Legacy HUD there is a checkbox to turn on BOM. Turn this on and your BOM will work correctly in all viewers, all Windlight settings, All lighting options on or off.

Here is how to do it properly: https://www.meshbody.com/updates

5368e1_5464d503f3b94bf7bb4e95ad6a603d65~

I've heard of this exact problem from four people now. They've all said that they're seeing the BOM skin with advanced lighting off and a default Legacy skin with advanced lighting on. Something is causing that failure mode. Whether it's a setting that the users missed isn't anything that I can speak to, but it's happening, and only with this body.

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

I've heard of this exact problem from four people now. They've all said that they're seeing the BOM skin with advanced lighting off and a default Legacy skin with advanced lighting on. Something is causing that failure mode. Whether it's a setting that the users missed isn't anything that I can speak to, but it's happening, and only with this body.

It is likely those Legacy users are not applying the BOM correctly. I concur that it is a Legacy issue that it is not very obvious in how to so it and that may be the major issue that's happening. I'm willing to wager that those doing it incorrectly are trying something out of the ordinary, though I don't know what they may be.

I wear the legacy on my alt. I this account I wear Belleza and there is a BOM "Applier" for Belleza (and in this case, it works exceptionally well) - it's my hope that the Belleza creators do not reply on this third-party HUD applier for their BOM compatibility and actually update the bodies themselves.

BOM is still shiny-new, warts and all (this thread is a perfect example of that) - I figure at least another year or two before it gains wide-spread adoption and things (usability) start panning out for everyone and creators actually make decent updates to their stuff.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

It is likely those Legacy users are not applying the BOM correctly. I concur that it is a Legacy issue that it is not very obvious in how to so it and that may be the major issue that's happening. I'm willing to wager that those doing it incorrectly are trying something out of the ordinary, though I don't know what they may be.

I wear the legacy on my alt. I this account I wear Belleza and there is a BOM "Applier" for Belleza (and in this case, it works exceptionally well) - it's my hope that the Belleza creators do not reply on this third-party HUD applier for their BOM compatibility and actually update the bodies themselves.

BOM is still shiny-new, warts and all (this thread is a perfect example of that) - I figure at least another year or two before it gains wide-spread adoption and things (usability) start panning out for everyone and creators actually make decent updates to their stuff.

Yeah... this is a user issue. Legacy may be walking people into it, ALM and BoM are not the problem. They just reveal the problem.

Using Slink Redux (the BoM body) and a GA.EG head (w/BoM applier) ALM or not the head and body match color. That appliers are mentioned in applying the skin opens the possibility for lots of mistakes and misunderstanding.

No... New people are going to get started with BoM. Expect a new set of starter avatars to be added soon. I suspect the Applier oriented starter avatars to be dropped from the choices. Plus, making OUTFITS using BoM is so much easier. Those not used to the older style system clothes, etc. may initially find it a problem, but once understood it much easier.

So, while you may be right, I expect it to happen much faster.

• Haha 1

After reading the comments, I see that I should not be wearing an alpha. So I took off ALL alphas I was wearing, took off the legacy body and then put it back on and gave it another try. I have, from day 1, been using the handy apply BOM button. It works like a charm without AML, but as soon as I put them on, potato.

https://i.gyazo.com/66c7bef9c5a8d250a1513899575da38f.mp4

As soon as I click off AML
https://i.gyazo.com/696d037b1966d951e27e8e077ed06e55.mp4

PLEASE HELP MEEEEE XD I'm going to message TMP CSR in the meantime :) I'll update if I find a fix!

Edited by December Larkham

@December Larkham - I was able to replicate someting like this!

If I click on one of the two last bump-symbols, the skin switches between the applied BOM skin and the last appled skin from the Legacy HUD when ALM is toggled. Only when I select the first one, the skin stays the same when toggling ALM!

https://gyazo.com/6a6301ad588d109347fbb8eeb6f1a9d8

So trying to press the first of these and see if it helps!

bump.png.5aaeb6357518a9fef84561ca610fb7f6.png

Edited by KaiaWang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KaiaWang said:

@December Larkham - I was able to replicate someting like this!

If I click on one of the two last bump-symbols, the skin switches between the applied BOM skin and the last appled skin from the Legacy HUD when ALM is toggled. Only when I select the first one, the skin stays the same when toggling ALM!

https://gyazo.com/6a6301ad588d109347fbb8eeb6f1a9d8

So trying to press the first of these and see if it helps!

bump.png.5aaeb6357518a9fef84561ca610fb7f6.png

You BEAUTIFUL creature! THIS IS WHAT DID IT!!! YAY!!! Topic solved! I must spread this knowledge to the masses! Thank you!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.