Color Bug in Victorian Home

Kryalana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just started to redecorate my new Victorian and one part of the outside is not changing color.  It is staying white.  I have rerezzed it several times and that has not fixed the problem.  I have the Verne v2.0.  I'm not sure where to do a ticket for this.  Can anyone help me?

Color Problem_001.png

The only way to change the color of the Verne's turret from white is to add a "shell" to the home that can then be colored.  This one can change it to any of the home colors via script:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/IMCR-LH-Victorian-The-Verne-Turret-Paint-Shell/18664165

I have not used it myself (yet!), but others in this forum have.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

The particular house you have chosen is meant to be like that there is another similar house where that turret will change colour, you can try the shell option but Patch did say they are at risk of being against the bellisseria covenant and use won't be allowed

It was exaggerated by people who posted snippets taken out of context.

I doubt the particular Verne shell will be a problem.

In my opinion (I am aware LL has the last word, so my opinion does not matter) the full white turret is feeling out of place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

The particular house you have chosen is meant to be like that there is another similar house where that turret will change colour, you can try the shell option but Patch did say they are at risk of being against the bellisseria covenant and use won't be allowed

Patch said that tinting the actual house is a no-no. An add-on shell should be perfectly fine since it is your own add-on; it's no different than all the other add-ons available for Linden Homes. Perhaps @Patch Linden  can verify this or debunk my presumption? (I wouldn't expect an answer at all, but if one comes, it will likely be after the first of the year as he and all staff and Moles are on much-deserved holiday hiatus!)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Patch said that tinting the actual house is a no-no. An add-on shell should be perfectly fine since it is your own add-on; it's no different than all the other add-ons available for Linden Homes. Perhaps @Patch Linden  can verify this or debunk my presumption?

This might clarify things a bit it was in response to those wanting the tinting bug to stay

On 12/18/2019 at 9:13 PM, Patch Linden said:

Maybe the next item for us to consider is perhaps a modification to the covenant restricting exterior appearance modifiers further (disallowing shells).

6 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

This might clarify things a bit it was in response to those wanting the tinting bug to stay

Ahah! Thanks for that update, I didn't see it before now. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

Just to complete Patch's statements on this.  My personal takeaway, as well as, it appears, Prudence's, is that shells continue to be tolerated at this time.  That may be likely to continue unless folks abuse them in such as way as to violate the covenant rules on user content being consistent with the theme of the community. 

On 12/20/2019 at 2:37 AM, PrudenceAnton said:

UPDATED: Okay, @Patch Linden spoke up in Bellisseria Citizens chat group this morning and cleared up the confusion on this.

[03:25] Patch Linden: What I sad was, when people rubbed color changing shells in our faces, that we should retain the bug that allows for changing the exterior colors of homes to anything they wanted, that the level of customization on these homes is purposefully limited.

[03:26] Patch Linden: So I reinforced that fact, and then said if it continues to be an issue we may consider restricting add-on color changing shells (only and in that context)

[03:26] Patch Linden: That color changing bug has since been fixed, and a re-rez of a home will correct for it.

[03:30] Patch Linden: We've generally (read: somewhat, maybe) been ok with the color changing shells that were made for the Traditional homes for example, people have for the most part made smart choices there, but it could get out of hand.  It's sorta like living in a deed restricted (HOA) community, things should remain in balance and clean. :)

[03:33] Patch Linden: All ya's gotta do is ask me, hopefully I won't miss things, but I'm always happy to clear things up.

(formerly posted this) :  I didn't catch where this topic picked up at, but if shells & add ons are banded, I'll abide by it as well, though it'll be a very sad and blue day for myself, Cian and others.  Nearly 6 months ago now, the Bellis Blues Cafe was designed with a shell and add on, beautifully done, to make it possible to have the blues cafe.  If they're banned, then we'll have to sadly close the doors on this little Bellisseria community get together location, for without the lovely additions that @Chic Aeon designed for the cafe, it just.....isn't the blues cafe.

Added: The Bellis Blues Cafe's design is safe and secure. Doors will remain open! 🥳

Edited by Nika Talaj
added my takeaway and deleted redundant text
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DevinKnights84 said:

house-with-turret00016.jpg

Thank you for this, I think it points to other ways to balance the Verne's white tower, as the folks here have done by making their square porch enclosure the same cream as their turret.  The Verne usually is sited so as to leave a roomy side yard opposite its turret, xo there's room to balance the white turret with a white outbuilding, or a garden element like these trellises that the moles used to so charmingly mark the entrances to back alleys in Maple Cross and other regions in that area.  One could use a large one like this to serve as an "entrance" to whatever one puts in the side yard.

1568337198_naughtytrellis_001.png.37252b14c5dd1d12c34317006c4877ca.png

And another idea sparked by Devin's pic: before the bug was fixed, we tinted a few architectural details on the turret to match the house color, and that was enough for us to unify the look.  These folks have done the same thing with the gold details on the turret echoing those elsewhere on their home.  Very simply, one could make a set of 5 square prim panels in the same color as the rest of the house and put them over the square panels at the top of the turret.  3 LI, cost zero.

Another idea: instead of the wraparound porch added in the OP, add a white circular thrust front porch or sunroom off the edge of the porch near the front door.  The circular shape would nicely echo the turret, I think.

• Like 1

I think it's a bug and it's not been addressed, or my house needs a fixing by a Mole.  I have filed a ticket- I just can't imagine that this is deliberate on the Doyle home- it makes no sense at all to have the white front 3/4 of the house, and the two different shades of pink (the other colors did this as well):  (edit- turning on Atmospheric Shaders in preferences fixes this- but I don't normally use that option unless I'm taking pictures).

Snapshot_083.png

Snapshot_084.png

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I think it's a bug and it's not been addressed, or my house needs a fixing by a Mole.  I have filed a ticket- I just can't imagine that this is deliberate on the Doyle home- it makes no sense at all to have the white front 3/4 of the house, and the two different shades of pink (the other colors did this as well):  (edit- turning on Atmospheric Shaders in preferences fixes this- but I don't normally use that option unless I'm taking pictures).

Snapshot_083.png

Snapshot_084.png

Can't be JUST the atmospheric shader thing as I tried it and it makes no difference. There could be two copies of the house rezzed on top of each other (like when you get a mesh head on twice). But looks like it is a "ticket" thing.

Have you tried different Windlight settings. It looks to me like that could be it. Certain settings can definitely make different angled objects look VERY different. 

image.thumb.png.0e8d2527a161afe8e4712c385c4c109a.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info

Dyna Mole came by my plot, and showed me thru a diagnostic that its all the same color, for whatever reason I have to turn on atmospheric shaders.  Disappointing, cause doing that makes my computer run hotter, so I'll just make the house white.  Thanks for the responses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Disappointing, cause doing that makes my computer run hotter, so I'll just make the house white.  Thanks for the responses. 

Have you tried changing the windlight setting from regional default?  I would think any sort of studio lighting would give you uniform brightness without any lighting effects.  I walk around using (in Firestorm) "Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim" nearly all the time, and sometimes have atmospheric shaders off.  There are many presets that basically give you even, fairly bright nonglare lighting.  WIth non-directional lighting, one generally doesn't see lighting effects like those which you describe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/23/2019 at 1:30 AM, Nika Talaj said:

Have you tried changing the windlight setting from regional default?  I would think any sort of studio lighting would give you uniform brightness without any lighting effects.  I walk around using (in Firestorm) "Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim" nearly all the time, and sometimes have atmospheric shaders off.  There are many presets that basically give you even, fairly bright nonglare lighting.  WIth non-directional lighting, one generally doesn't see lighting effects like those which you describe.

I never use default be it viewer or region.  It didn't make a difference.  I had to turn on shaders.  (I use Calwl or SheperdsDelight) - I've never run into a build having totally different colors,  not  even just shades on a build like that- and I've been around a really long time.  I've had a houseboat & a traditional, and they didn't behave that way.  But it is what it is.  I probably won't keep my premium if I have to run my computer on higher graphics to render it correctly.  Mostly because I don't actually use or decorate the insides of my houses.  I can't be outside often in RL, so I like to be there in SL.  Anyways- not a big deal- thanks all for the tips and helps.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.