Sailable Water Parcels & Regions

Red52

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello- questions about parcels with Sailable Water & Regions: 1) Is Sailable Water only available on Mainland or Private Islands?; 2) Why is Sailable Water not allowed on Estate parcels?; 3) How many different Regions are there in SL?; 4) Is there a list somewhere that shows all of the names of the Regions?  Thank you!

5 hours ago, Red52 said:

Hello- questions about parcels with Sailable Water & Regions: 1) Is Sailable Water only available on Mainland or Private Islands?; 2) Why is Sailable Water not allowed on Estate parcels?; 3) How many different Regions are there in SL?; 4) Is there a list somewhere that shows all of the names of the Regions?  Thank you!

It is allowed on Estate regions, however to be of any practical use it requires several connected regions with protected space that is not available for rent. Try searching for Blake Sea regions.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Red52 said:

Hello Red,

1. Sailable Water is allowed on Mainland and Private Estates.

2. On small parcels it might be limited, depending on the parcel owner. But then why would one want to sail on a small parcel?

3. Hundreds. I did once a sailing trip starting from the very South East of the mainland. I was sailing through blake sea, surrounded the Nautilus Continent, the Satori Continent (where open waters are available) and went all the way back to my moore on blake sea. Took me several weekends to complete that trip.

Here a detailed report:
https://www.second-life-adventures.com/sailing-around-the-mainland-second-life/

4. Unfortunatly not yet (You gave me a good idea for a blog post though. Thanks.). You will have to explore yourself. Maybe start here:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sailing_in_Second_Life

The only ones I found on private estates are Eden, Fruit Islands and Costa Rica. Due to the nature of private estates I found them very limited though.

If you want you may contact me Inworld and we do a trip on blake sea together.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Red52 said:

1) Is Sailable Water only available on Mainland or Private Islands?

There are four fairly large groups of sims with sailable waters in SL, three of them mainland and one large private estate. Listed by size:

1) The Blake Sea area. Including the waterways around and within Satori, Nautilus, Corsica, Gaeta V and at least six private estates, this is by far the largest group of connected sailable regions.

2) Northern Sansara and Heteorcera. Stretching from Bay City in the southwest to Langdale in the seat and Heterocera in the north. A very different boating experience than the Blake Sea area. It includes large multisim open waters like the Sea of Fables and the Northern Waterway but for the most part it's passages between islands and long channels through the landscape.

3) Bellisseria and North Jeogeot. The "New Kid on the Block" - or at least the one that is growing at the moment. The bay in North Jeogeot has been there for a while but now it's been connected to Bellisseria so the saiable area is more than twice the size. It's possible LL has plans to connect it to Northern Sansara/Heterocera too. There are only a few regions separating it from the east Sansra waterways (and a few places alogn east Sansara where the waterwayn is blocked by private land).

4) Fruit Islands/Eden

There are also lots of smaller areas.

2) Why is Sailable Water not allowed on Estate parcels?

It's up to the estate owner.

3) How many different Regions are there in SL?

If you mean in total: 24,701 as of 15th December.

If you mean sailable regions, probalby 3,000 or more. The Northern Sansara/Heterocera waters alone consists of more than 1,000 connected sailable regions and it's only the second largest.

4) Is there a list somewhere that shows all of the names of the Regions?

All active regions are lsited at gridsurvey. It doesn't separate saiable regions from non-sailable ones thuogh.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To understand how sailable water works, look at the world map. 

Every area that your avatar can actually enter is being run as a "simulation" on the Linden Lab servers. They are all 256 x 256 meters and have been given a name that shows up on the map. In order for water to be sailable, it has to be one of these simulations. It will show up as a square on the map with a name and a sort of water-textured look to it.

If you're on an island and see "water" all around you stretching to the horizon, most of what you see is called "void water." It's "fake" water that's drawn by your viewer so it looks like the island you're on is part of a wider world, but you can't enter it because there's no simulation of it being run on the servers. Many private/estate regions are single regions with no neighbors and they're surrounded by this "void water."

If you want to be able to sail a reasonable distance (i.e. just not around an island,) you should look on the map for areas with neighboring regions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"Void water" looks just like real water. One easy way to tell the difference is to use the 'Advanced' settings and de-render water.
(from my article "How Not to Buy Real Estate in Second Life")

Don't confuse "water land" with "The Great Nothing".

The Mainland Continents are bordered by varying amounts of sailable water. In some areas (Like the Blake Sea) there are many sailing sims, in other area the land may just be cut off at the edge of what I call "The Great Nothing" (others call it "The Void Ocean"). Both sailable water and The Great Nothing are colored blue on the map, so you need to check to make sure.

allblueisnot-water.jpg
It sure looks like water.
%2527ocean%2527-derendered.jpg
With the water derendered

On of my pet peeves is that in early days the Linden sold water parcels around continent edges, and the new owners built on these parcels and made it impossible to sail past. Watch out for weasel words in real estate listings like "waterfront" or "water view".

True waterfront parcels on 'sailable' waters are usually more expensive than more inland parcels. Although you have more freedom owning Mainland parcels, an option might be to use your Premium membership option to claim a houseboat in Bellisserea.

Edited by Rufferta
Second thoughts.
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

On of my pet peeves is that in early days the Linden sold water parcels around continent edges, and the new owners built on these parcels and made it impossible to sail past.

Look at this:

image.png.796b17803a969f85369e342aff7e6aef.png

With the water derendered:

image.png.36268c73d0b519cf1cd271dff1f231ea.png

At the bottom of this picture is the eastern end of the Northern Sansara/Heterocera waters. At the top right is a piece of Moses, one of three ful wtaersims (complete with rez zone and everything) making up the northernmost point of the East Sansara waterways. Right in between them is a 4x32 m tongue of private land. You can pass through it now but that's only because the current owner (that's me actually) is determined to keep it open. I don't know if previous owners have blocked it and there's no guarantee future owners won't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/19/2019 at 12:39 AM, Aethelwine said:

All water at ground level is sailable. One of the best places to sail is Eden and the fruit islands, a private estate. 

Well not Eden. If you're not 100% human Eden will boot you out.

But yeah - there's a lot of estate owned sailable water out there. Blake sea is half mainland half estate - you can tell you've entered estate land the moment the laggy ugly builds vanish... :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 12:50 PM, Rufferta said:

"Void water" looks just like real water. One easy way to tell the difference is to use the 'Advanced' settings and de-render water.
(from my article "How Not to Buy Real Estate in Second Life")

Don't confuse "water land" with "The Great Nothing".

The Mainland Continents are bordered by varying amounts of sailable water. In some areas (Like the Blake Sea) there are many sailing sims, in other area the land may just be cut off at the edge of what I call "The Great Nothing" (others call it "The Void Ocean"). Both sailable water and The Great Nothing are colored blue on the map, so you need to check to make sure.

allblueisnot-water.jpg
It sure looks like water.
%2527ocean%2527-derendered.jpg
With the water derendered

On of my pet peeves is that in early days the Linden sold water parcels around continent edges, and the new owners built on these parcels and made it impossible to sail past. Watch out for weasel words in real estate listings like "waterfront" or "water view".

True waterfront parcels on 'sailable' waters are usually more expensive than more inland parcels. Although you have more freedom owning Mainland parcels, an option might be to use your Premium membership option to claim a houseboat in Bellisserea.

Thank you so much, Rufferta!  Questions: 1) If I can derender the water, is it void or real?; 2) Where the water is cut off at the end of a parcel, is that because of the Owner's choice or something else?  Thanks 🙂 

On 12/19/2019 at 3:39 AM, Aethelwine said:

All water at ground level is sailable. One of the best places to sail is Eden and the fruit islands, a private estate. 

Thanks, Aethelwine.  How do you tell if you are at ground level?  Just if it doesn't say 'Sky'?

On 12/19/2019 at 6:27 AM, carolinestravels said:

Hello Red,

1. Sailable Water is allowed on Mainland and Private Estates.

2. On small parcels it might be limited, depending on the parcel owner. But then why would one want to sail on a small parcel?

3. Hundreds. I did once a sailing trip starting from the very South East of the mainland. I was sailing through blake sea, surrounded the Nautilus Continent, the Satori Continent (where open waters are available) and went all the way back to my moore on blake sea. Took me several weekends to complete that trip.

Here a detailed report:
https://www.second-life-adventures.com/sailing-around-the-mainland-second-life/

4. Unfortunatly not yet (You gave me a good idea for a blog post though. Thanks.). You will have to explore yourself. Maybe start here:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sailing_in_Second_Life

The only ones I found on private estates are Eden, Fruit Islands and Costa Rica. Due to the nature of private estates I found them very limited though.

If you want you may contact me Inworld and we do a trip on blake sea together.

Thanks for all the great info, Caroline!  Reading through your blog posts 🙂

On 1/9/2020 at 4:39 AM, Red52 said:

Thanks, Aethelwine.  How do you tell if you are at ground level?  Just if it doesn't say 'Sky'?

At the top of your viewer screen you should see your location displayed in a bar followed by your coordinates in a form (xx,yy,zz). The zz figure is your height, generally water level on mainland will be 20m, although it can be a bit higher inland Sansar and Bellisseria.

Water in sky builds will look quite different, generally some sort of animated caustic textures. You can swim in some with the right scripts and swimming huds, but to sail up there you would need a boat specifically scripted to sail at that height... I am not aware of anyone having done that.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carolinestravels said:

And what for ?
Who want's to sail in a skybox?

Well I could imagine tugby or a capture the flag type game being fun, in one of the small sail boats made for that. The tugby arena set up in Hollywood behind dutch harbor is just one region sized, I think.

The advantage of setting that up in the sky on a private region would be freeing up ground level for surfing or residential or whatever. It makes sense for region owners to make use of their airspace for builds. 

Edited by Aethelwine

22 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

At the top of your viewer screen you should see your location displayed in a bar followed by your coordinates in a form (xx,yy,zz). The zz figure is your height, generally water level on mainland will be 20m, although it can be a bit higher inland Sansar and Bellisseria.

Water in sky builds will look quite different, generally some sort of animated caustic textures. You can swim in some with the right scripts and swimming huds, but to sail up there you would need a boat specifically scripted to sail at that height... I am not aware of anyone having done that.

Interesting!  Thank you again 🙂  I didn't know they made boats to sail in sky boxes!

3 hours ago, Red52 said:

Interesting!  Thank you again 🙂  I didn't know they made boats to sail in sky boxes!

Ohh they don't, but they could is all I meant.

When I mentioned ground level initially it was me being over careful with a qualifier to try and be precise. All I seem to have done though is create confusion.

So far as I am aware no one has scripted a boat to work up in skybox water, although the idea not as ridiculous as it first sounds.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:16 AM, Aethelwine said:

Ohh they don't, but they could is all I meant.

When I mentioned ground level initially it was me being over careful with a qualifier to try and be precise. All I seem to have done though is create confusion.

So far as I am aware no one has scripted a boat to work up in skybox water, although the idea not as ridiculous as it first sounds.

Ok thanks for clarifying.  And I agree it'd  be a wonderful idea!

On 1/8/2020 at 8:31 PM, Red52 said:

Thank you so much, Rufferta!  Questions: 1) If I can derender the water, is it void or real?; 2) Where the water is cut off at the end of a parcel, is that because of the Owner's choice or something else?  Thanks 🙂 

1. If you derender the water you will see either the black of the Ocean Void, or the terrain texture for that region. 2. Where the water is cut off at the end of the parcel, it could be either because there isn't anything there, or because the Owner is using an object with an animated water texture that resembles 'real' water.

Nothing is real. Also, I have been told that water levels may be different in different regions. 

"Off sim" objects like rocks and lighthouses often make it look as if the 'real' water extends over the Ocean Void. Sometimes it is very hard to tell.

Leafminer-dock-unrendered.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 11:16 AM, ChinRey said:

Look at this:

image.png.796b17803a969f85369e342aff7e6aef.png

At the bottom of this picture is the eastern end of the Northern Sansara/Heterocera waters. At the top right is a piece of Moses, one of three ful wtaersims (complete with rez zone and everything) making up the northernmost point of the East Sansara waterways. Right in between them is a 4x32 m tongue of private land. You can pass through it now but that's only because the current owner (that's me actually) is determined to keep it open. I don't know if previous owners have blocked it and there's no guarantee future owners won't.

This actually looks like a spot where the owner should petition LL to convert the spot to protected land.

It's been years, but I believe I've seen that done before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 5:55 AM, Red52 said:

(...)How many different Regions are there in SL?(...)

Someone already told you how many in total, that you can sail I can tell you I've went on a boat trip that was over 1000 sims in one 11 hour sitting, if that is what you are looking for.
Just remember you will crash, get disconnected, randomly ejected by security orbs, break your vessel by hitting a ban line and so on.
So a word of advice, don't worry so much about crossing a large distance, you should make the best of each sim, and do it SLOWLY, there's no point on trying to do this fast you won't get any enjoyment out of your travels that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

This actually looks like a spot where the owner should petition LL to convert the spot to protected land.

It's been years, but I believe I've seen that done before.

Thank you Pussycat! It took a while to get it sorted out but it's done now and that strip is now protected land and part of the northern Sansara waterway.

I have to find a solution for that buoy markign the sim corner though. It's gone now that I don't own the land anymore and it's rather crucial.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Thank you Pussycat! It took a while to get it sorted out but it's done now and that strip is now protected land and part of the northern Sansara waterway.

I have to find a solution for that buoy markign the sim corner though. It's gone now that I don't own the land anymore and it's rather crucial.

Oh wow. It was a pip-dream that that idea would come to pass.

It'd been years since I last saw someone do it and I wasn't sure they were still open to the idea.

Now that Bellisseria reaches down to Jeogeot I have been looking down there and I see some abandoned land plots that are sea access for others and I wonder if I could make tickets to get them converted to protected... I own absolutely NO LAND near them... it just looked like it would be good for everyone around them and even people sailing down from up my way if they were...

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.