The audacity of Scylla

Storm Clarence

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Yes, My Queen!

/me digs through the dictionary.

"Engaging in nasal rectal invasion"?

Not entirely what I had in mind . . .

. . . but keep calling me "My Queen" long enough, and basically I'll let you use whatever language you want.

*preen preen*

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

and she proved it when she burst back into the Forums after an absence with a thread in which she declared her intention to garner as many Likes as possible.  It worked, too!

Dernit. This is why She wins the Internet and I do not. I just showed up again, plop. No fanfare. She had a plan! She gathered Important Points! :::sniffs::: I have no ambition...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

you have a wealth (probably not quite the right word, but there you are) of experience that I totally lack.

I don't know. Saying I have a wealth of experience regarding Gor is like saying a skydiver with a failed parachute has a wealth of experience regarding pavements. 

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I think that the line is when a disagreement becomes more of a personal attack than about whatever the topic at hand is. Until that point, though, I think pretty much anything is, or should be, allowable (on these forums).

This is the key, right?

I'm different (but not better) from you in that I do have FTG. It would be an interesting exercise in self-reflection and interrogation for me to determine why I do. I know what I'd like the answer to that to be, but I'm not entirely sure that it would tell the full story.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Audacity is better than "Acrimonious." (A joke for the oldbies.)

Ugh. But yeah.

30 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I like and respect Scylla, which may surprise some (again a reference for the oldbies), and I always have. In my opinion we agree about ninety-ish percent of the time (which probably surprises her). The other ten percent, well :::cough::: And that is probably what some people remember (incorrectly). Honestly, even some of that ten percent is just a matter of style.

What I remember was a really difficult and awful time on the forums for a lot of people, for a lot of different reasons. It was a bit difficult to see much of anything through the clouds of chlorine gas and shrouds of smoke.

I am far more likely to agree than disagree with you here. And when I disagree, it's seldom an irreconcilable difference anyway, and it's always intelligent and articulate. The like and respect are entirely mutual.

34 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Here I agree with Scylla in that I think it is inappropriate to call out individuals in OP titles and subjects, good or bad, especially out of the blue. It teeters the line between brown-nosing and trolling. It gives the perception of cliquishness—over which the target has no control.

Yes yes yes yes. THIS.

36 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

It can also vary for the same person, depending upon many things--the day one is having, the other posts one reads, etc.

Yep. Hence the need for sticky notes on my screen, reminding me not to be sarcastic, nasty, flirty, or whatever!

Not that they always work.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Dernit. This is why She wins the Internet and I do not. I just showed up again, plop. No fanfare. She had a plan! She gathered Important Points! :::sniffs::: I have no ambition...

Well, look at it this way, at least you don't have 10 times more posts than points, like I do, so, you're like around 10 times more than me!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Storm Clarence said:

If one posts something kind it is now considered brown-nosing? Cool.    

Envy anyone? 

PS I never expected my nose to land there . . . Cool again.

Pffft brown nosing is a fine art and a noble calling.

How do you think most people in business make it to executive row?  Brown nosing and mutual masturbation.

Just razzing you, Storm, didn't mean it as a slam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

To address the question of "audacity" . . . I think obviously it's terribly important to speak one's mind, and to not be afraid of taking a principled stand, whatever those principles may be, on a subject. But if by "audacity" what we also mean is some sort of heroic pose that focuses attention upon the speaker/poster as someone "courageous" enough to say unpopular things, I think that misses the point.

What a forum like this should be, and what to some degree it is, I think, is a place where one can feel that one can say what is on one's mind, or what one believes, without fear of being trolled or attacked for it. One should instead have the expectation that it will be critiqued, but in a way that addresses the ideas one has put forward, rather than upon the character of the poster.

I think it's always at least a little audacious to say what one thinks in public, especially if you know there will be those who disagree. And I know that some of us find it harder to do so than others: it's important that people like that know that their contributions will be welcomed.

So, that courage should not need to also override an expectation that one is going to be personally attacked for speaking up. And a really worthwhile community, an effective democracy, really, is one where everyone knows that what they have to say will not merely be accepted and considered, but actually welcomed as a contribution to more general discussion. I don't like "conservatism," for instance: I disagree with it not merely in particulars, but on more a fundamental basis. But god help us all if we ever lose that alternate viewpoint. Not even I would want to live in a world entirely dominated by people like . . . well, me.

Mostly, I think we're pretty good at encouraging and welcoming contributions here. But we could probably be better. I am pretty sure that there is at least one relatively frequent poster here who has me on "ignore." That demonstrates to me that, in at least that one instance, I screwed up. And it's sad, not merely because someone finds me sufficiently irritating, trollish, or whatever, to want to shut me out, but also because they can't hear me any more, and I'm no longer in a position where I can engage with their ideas or beliefs.

This version of the forum does help promote civil discourse over what the older versions did. You get a more watered down forum, but I see that as a general net plus (as I've said elsewhere). But I still literally laughed out loud when I read your second paragraph. Oh, you Utopian, you. That's so adorably Canadian. :p

My BS meter has always been set to low, but I think it has been cranked so far back now as to read in a different time zone. I don't mind debates but get no pleasure from the usual Internet food fights that show up here as well. Ok, well, sometimes the food fights are fun, especially if there are coffee and cookies. I'm much more likely to speak my mind now. I've always had that tendency anyway, and now with time and a different set of expectations, I mostly say what I feel. I try to keep that to even keeled and at least semi-polite, but I do not have infinite patience and never saw the point in suffering fools gladly or otherwise. I can be dogged. There are a few subjects that will greatly upset me, and upon which I will finally break if a point is just not being received. But not as much these days, and like has been mentioned, there are far fewer effs these days to be given.

I have no delusions of ever changing anyone's mind on the Internet. It doesn't motivate me. In those situations the most I shoot for is being able to say exactly what I mean. (OK, until that last button has been pushed, which happened once since I've been back to these forums.) As for being muted by other posters, I suspect I am based upon me kinda poking some bears and getting no responses. :::strokes chin while saying "innnn...terrr...esting::: I mostly find it funny or don't think of it much at all. Unlike you I don't view being muted as me screwing up, more like a blissful happenstance. 

I'm not as invested in trying to save the world through the Forums, mainly because I don't think it can be done.  I know I'll not be seeing you at any of the Misanthropes Anonymous meetings, yet. Yet.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Well, look at it this way, at least you don't have 10 times more posts than points, like I do, so, you're like around 10 times more than me!

I'm just now inching upon the points equalling my posts. I know you don't care about the points any more than I do, but you have to admit that discrepancy looks a little weird, yeah? Like you I had next to zilch when I returned. It's like I needed a disclaimer: No, really, my posts came from years ago! I'm not being shunned with no points!

Or maybe that's just me?

:::mopes off muttering "stupid point system":::

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

I never expected my nose to land there . . . Cool again.

Storm, if I thought your nose was actually planted *coughs* in that particular place -- well, we'd be having words.

I'm saving that position for the man who makes an honest woman of me. 😉

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I'm just now inching upon the points equalling my posts. I know you don't care about the points any more than I do, but you have to admit that discrepancy looks a little weird, yeah? Like you I had next to zilch when I returned. It's like I needed a disclaimer: No, really, my posts came from years ago! I'm not being shunned with no points!

Or maybe that's just me?

:::mopes off muttering "stupid point system":::

Yep weird that it imported posts from the old Forums

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Where is the line in posting?  Are you a troll or just being provocative?  Friend or foe?  Who are you? 

I'm a horribly lonely, chronically depressed old woman, who is stuck in limbo.  Trudging along towards that magic moment when I can take back some power and change the things I'm unhappy with. I hold most of that back, since nobody wants to hear about it really.  I sometimes tell the naked unadorned truth, but most of the time I keep that to myself and respond with whatever positive energy I can give.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I have always found Scylla to be the worst. Just vicious mean and nasty. Out to do harm simply for the joy of doing harm to others. No regard for anyone but herself. 

I mean, when you kill that many Greek sailors over the years just because you could.. Something is wrong. I mean, she makes Ursulla look like a princess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.