The audacity of Scylla

Storm Clarence

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Where is the line in posting?  Are you a troll or just being provocative?  Friend or foe?  Who are you? 

I think that the line is when a disagreement becomes more of a personal attack than about whatever the topic at hand is. Until that point, though, I think pretty much anything is, or should be, allowable (on these forums).

Am I a troll? No. Am I just being provocative? No. Friend or foe? Depends on who you are.

Who am I? A middle-aged woman who is pretty much flat out of FTG when it comes to behaving the way anyone else thinks I should. If I feel passionate about something (and I feel passionate about a lot of things) I will die on the mountain for it. I have several mountain ranges and more lives than a cat, thankfully. I don't hesitate to call out BS when I see it. That makes a certain type of person get all faux-offended when they're actually just embarrassed so they call me a troll in an attempt to deflect. I'll call that out, too. 

We live in a society of entitled people who get outraged when people hurt their feelings by wanting to live their lives in ways the entitled people don't agree with, and the audacity to demand the same rights as the entitled people. I'm not going to make this an age thing because I've known people like that from every generation. 

But, yeah, I will call it out when I see it, along with anything else I believe is extraordinarily stupid or flat out wrong. 

Like I said... no FTG. 

• Like 4

I always knew Scylla was audacious, and she proved it when she burst back into the Forums after an absence with a thread in which she declared her intention to garner as many Likes as possible.  It worked, too!

But there's a difference between Scylla and Storm.  One is funny, witty, and engaging.  One is hugely irritating. 

Being a teacher, I shall leave it as an exercise for the student to determine which is which.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I'm more of a lurker-ish poster.  I'm newer here, and haven't yet really engaged much on the "heavier" threads.  I think I'm still kind of finding my footing.

I can be opinionated and outspoken, I just tend to temper it.  A lot.  Like, to the point of staring at the sky rather than speaking.

TL;DR:  people are scary, so I just post cute shots of my avatar and nod at what everyone else is saying.

I don't think you need to throw yourself into the scrum, Ajay, to be a part of this community. And you are much more than "lurker": you've established yourself, here and on the other board I follow (My Avatar) as a presence. And a really likable and valued one.

Do what makes you comfortable. I, and a lot of others, know you're here, and are glad of it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I always knew Scylla was audacious, and she proved it when she burst back into the Forums after an absence with a thread in which she declared her intention to garner as many Likes as possible.  It worked, too!

But there's a difference between Scylla and Storm.  One is funny, witty, and engaging.  One is hugely irritating. 

Being a teacher, I shall leave it as an exercise for the student to determine which is which.

Well now that I know what her game is, I shall never send her a "like" again!

/me walks away grumbling, "call me chaotic evil will she?  well I'LL SHOW HER!!!"

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Nasty people will write nasty posts, anyway.  That's kind of my point with this OP.  There is a huge difference in posting audaciously and posting for spite.

I know it is always important to speak your mind and it is equally important to know when to not (or so I have learned.)

I do not have the knowledge or tools to change the title, ergo, I can not.  But it is ok as we use names in titles in other SL sub-forum e.g., Make Friends: Missed Connections, etc. 

It is very easy to RIC this thread if you are that unhappy with the words. Most of my OP's get whacked anyway :)

I think, if memory serves, that you can change the title of the thread just by clicking in that text field. But I may be mis-remembering. No biggie anyway.

And no, I won't be RICing the thread, because I don't do that. And I think it's produced some interesting posts. Your actual question is a pretty good one.

Audacity is better than "Acrimonious." (A joke for the oldbies.)

I like and respect Scylla, which may surprise some (again a reference for the oldbies), and I always have. In my opinion we agree about ninety-ish percent of the time (which probably surprises her). The other ten percent, well :::cough::: And that is probably what some people remember (incorrectly). Honestly, even some of that ten percent is just a matter of style.

Here I agree with Scylla in that I think it is inappropriate to call out individuals in OP titles and subjects, good or bad, especially out of the blue. It teeters the line between brown-nosing and trolling. It gives the perception of cliquishness—over which the target has no control.

Different people write for different reasons, different audiences, different reactions. Like, for example, a sycophant missing their master and just at a loss and so tries to create problems throughout the land, targeting one set of readers in one post, trying to play the pity card in another, or being just plain whackadoodle.

It can also vary for the same person, depending upon many things--the day one is having, the other posts one reads, etc.

There's a difference between being audacious and being an a**hole, a subtly lost on a few.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn't even really understand what Storm's question was until I read some of the responses.  I thought he was just brown-nosing Queen Scylla 😛

IMNSHO, the line is between posting to inform, entertain, or just engage in friendly banter, and posting to anger, harass, or insult someone.

Unfortunately, once two or more people have taken opposite sides on a topic, the longer they go back and forth, the more prone they are to getting closer to and crossing over that line.  Once you realize you or the other person are starting to reply in anger, it's time to politely step back and/or walk away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

If you really don't know... hover your mouse over a person's name and you will have options to message, ignore, or find other content from that person.

Only a real snowflake would need an ignore button.

(Thanks, I had no idea that could be done, but, then, I'm hardly a snowflake).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I didn't even really understand what Storm's question was until I read some of the responses.  I thought he was just brown-nosing Queen Scylla 😛

IMNSHO, the line is between posting to inform, entertain, or just engage in friendly banter, and posting to anger, harass, or insult someone.

Unfortunately, once two or more people have taken opposite sides on a topic, the longer they go back and forth, the more prone they are to getting closer to and crossing over that line.  Once you realize you or the other person are starting to reply in anger, it's time to politely step back and/or walk away.

Thank you, Tolya, that is very well put.

Stepping back now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I want to feel the way you do about it, but I simply don't.

Well, I wouldn't want you to. No one else here would, either!

You are hilarious when you're sarcastic, but you bring insights and ideas to the table that I don't have access to. Part of that is because our perspectives are actually a bit different on some of the issues (but not mutually exclusive), but also because you have a wealth (probably not quite the right word, but there you are) of experience that I totally lack.

Vive la difference, says I!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.