New Surname Game

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With new last names coming Soon™ and the big list of old ones here , let’s have a little fun with name speculation, funny SL names, guesses on the new ones, names we like, etc. 

• keep it PG-13 or so, though who am I to restrict/reject double entendre? 
  • consult that list and don’t dupe existing ones, or risk the plonk. Harsh!
  • funny first/last combos welcome But new last name preferred since some people are quite grumpy old ones won’t be revived.
  • don’t submit your ‘super fabulous best last name ever’ here unless/until you already safely entered the contest. LL will score them, choosing 5 winning entries. If duplicates are submitted, first to submit it is eligible to win. 

Gault, Shonagon, Echivarious, Runcible, Renata are a few of mine. My cousin needs one, so I gave them to her, heh. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1

To give SL a fantasy or eclectic flair, all the old names backwards. Also has the bonus of allowing all those users wanting to have the old names access to them, but with more style and flair.

Who wouldn't want to be Burrel backwards. So French sounding - Lerrub

Edited by Drayke Newall

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I wonder why selected surnames was stopped way back when. 

Looking at the length of that list, I'd say they were struggling too much to think of new ones that hadn't already been used (and that weren't subject to some trademark or copyright restriction).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:57 AM, Drayke Newall said:

To give SL a fantasy or eclectic flair, all the old names backwards. Also has the bonus of allowing all those users wanting to have the old names access to them, but with more style and flair.

Who wouldn't want to be Burrel backwards. So French sounding - Lerrub

My name backwards is...questionable.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, rasterscan said:

I wonder why selected surnames was stopped way back when. 

Per LL, it was negatively impacting signups.  Study of their web traffic numbers or something told them that they lost people at that point in the process. Apparently too many folks were having difficulty in creating a full name by picking the last name from a list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per LL, it was negatively impacting signups.  Study of their web traffic numbers or something told them that they lost people at that point in the process. Apparently too many folks were having difficulty in creating a full name by picking the last name from a list.

Yet many of us know it was the way the sign up was set up that was the real reason people didn't follow through. For many it either wasn't very intuitive or the process just took too much time so they figured eff it they'll find something easier to sign up for. If it takes more than a couple of minutes or there are too many hoops to jump through, most people won't complete it. They'll just move on to something else.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

I always wanted LL to roll out the surname "Kebab". So I could be...Donna Kebab. 

But I'll probably never pay for a name change or surname, so it's a moot point whether they introduce it or not...

The list of old names brought back memories...I wonder what the backstory was for Lindaprivate 1, 2 and 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/18/2019 at 7:01 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Is sugardaddy and sugarbaby suggested yet? I haven't entered yet.

57.3% of SL users already have the display name of 'Babygirl' so I guess that one is needed... I will support it as long as... anyone with it is REQUIRED to be an infant-child AV. :P

Personally I think they should make that a hidden keybind in SL... changing your display name to anything that resembles 'babygirl' should change your avatar to an infant little girl and lock if there for 60 days. 🤬

I really don't have any actual surname suggestions... I personally think it should be an editable input-field just like the first name...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Yet many of us know it was the way the sign up was set up that was the real reason people didn't follow through. For many it either wasn't very intuitive or the process just took too much time so they figured eff it they'll find something easier to sign up for. If it takes more than a couple of minutes or there are too many hoops to jump through, most people won't complete it. They'll just move on to something else.

This. And what's worse, they replaced the potentially tricky decision-point with an outright fabrication. The process tells you to pick something, but not to worry too much about it because you can always change the name people see at a later date... which works to get people past that initial hurdle, but then they quickly find out that the throwaway account name you chose will be visible above your avatar forever. By the time a new resident's 'funky' account name becomes a problem, people are usually either too invested in SL to start over or are at the point of quitting regardless.

To this day I don't know if this was an act of utter incompetence or malicious deception on the part of LL.

6 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

This. And what's worse, they replaced the potentially tricky decision-point with an outright fabrication. The process tells you to pick something, but not to worry too much about it because you can always change the name people see at a later date... which works to get people past that initial hurdle, but then they quickly find out that the throwaway account name you chose will be visible above your avatar forever. By the time a new resident's 'funky' account name becomes a problem, people are usually either too invested in SL to start over or are at the point of quitting regardless.

To this day I don't know if this was an act of utter incompetence or malicious deception on the part of LL.

I think it was more a case of the blind leading the blind. Or more likely, they simply listened to the wrong group of residents. Being the loudest doesn't make them right, just loud enough to do whatever it takes to shut them up.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.