Missing SLshare No Flickr button

tako Absent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently shifted to official viewer because of low fps issue and my antivirus on the latest update of FireStorm. I am happy with the official viewer's performance for giving me almost 60fps on semi ultra setting but some features from fs viewer im missing alot inlcuding flickr share. Ive been googling for some instruction about slshare. I've read that you can activate it on communicate>flickr but there's no such feature in the Second Life Release 6.3.5.533275 (64bit) viewer. Am i missing something here? The last time i used the official viewer was sometime in 2014! and I'm a bit lost at the moment. 

noflickr.JPG

adfasfaf.JPG

There are other threads regarding this elsewhere but the gist is that Linden Lab has removed the function and will be removing the bulk of the SLShare back end as they have given up trying to keep up with the API changes that Flickr and such have been making.

So far, Send/Share to E-mail (if still present in your client of choice) still functions. Migrate to a platform that supports this function or save to your disk to upload later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tako Absent said:

I recently shifted to official viewer because of low fps issue and my antivirus on the latest update of FireStorm. I am happy with the official viewer's performance for giving me almost 60fps on semi ultra setting but some features from fs viewer im missing alot inlcuding flickr share. Ive been googling for some instruction about slshare. I've read that you can activate it on communicate>flickr but there's no such feature in the Second Life Release 6.3.5.533275 (64bit) viewer. Am i missing something here? The last time i used the official viewer was sometime in 2014! and I'm a bit lost at the moment. 

Yup, as Solar Legion said, they yanked it out of the official viewer.

Using a TPV is the way to go if you want to share to Flickr.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Yup, as Solar Legion said, they yanked it out of the official viewer.

Using a TPV is the way to go if you want to share to Flickr.

I like that function a lot, I just share snapshots primarily to capture memories for my own enjoyment and I'd hate to see it gone. It is convenient, quick and easy, not something that another method will likely give me. I use FS so am not (yet?) affected. Is the Flickr sharing from FS a transaction just between FS and Flickr or does it use the mentioned SL backend that is yet to be removed and will then cause the sharing from FS to break too?

Edited by Fenimore Hapmouche
typooo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fenimore Hapmouche said:

I like that function a lot, I just share snapshots primarily to capture memories for my own enjoyment and I'd hate to see it gone. It is convenient, quick and easy, not something that another method will likely give me. I use FS so am not (yet?) affected. Is the Flickr sharing from FS a transaction just between FS and Flickr or does it use the mentioned SL backend that is yet to be removed and will then cause the sharing from FS to break too?

It currently still uses SL Share, but will be back to using the original Flickr upload code that was in place before LL came up with SL Share - you know, the one that uses the "constantly changing API" that LL couldn't keep track with, but magically still works without changes for over 7 years... 😂

• Thanks 1

To be honest i'm quite unsure what part of the "constantly changing API" of either of those has any impact on how SL share works... i mean SL share is literally just sending a snapshot to their service with details like a description for instance. So unless the host/address changes constantly there's nothing that needs to "keep up" with their "changing API" or if they were to change the format these details/snapshots need to be send but those kind of things would happen with many years inbetween...

On the other hand i don't care really. I've never used them and if anything i'd probably find them just as unreliable as pictures to profile which can sometimes randomly fail for no reason too. Generally speaking it is better to save a snapshot to disk and then upload it to any hoster anyway... for quality reasons.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ansariel Hiller said:

It currently still uses SL Share, but will be back to using the original Flickr upload code that was in place before LL came up with SL Share - you know, the one that uses the "constantly changing API" that LL couldn't keep track with, but magically still works without changes for over 7 years... 😂

Thank you for that explanation Ansariel, I am happy to hear that.

I wonder if these 'constant changes' were really just the - admittedly not super-smooth - transition from Yahoo to Smugmug.

Edited by Fenimore Hapmouche

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.