Holiday Traditions

Tolya Ugajin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, janetosilio said:

French-Canadian Christmas isn’t all that exotic.

We used to go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Then we’d come home and have dinner, which always had two staples: turkey and a meat pie called a tourtiere. Everybody has their own way of making tourtiere in Montreal, but ours always had venison, potatoes and onions....

My grandmother was French Canadian and the meat pie tradition traveled south to New England with her and all the other grannies and gramps who migrated to work in the textile mills. By our generation, the french name for the meat pie was lost, and the turkey was moved to Xmas day, but Meat pies on Xmas eve after midnight mass is still a big tradition. I was told that the idea was to make the pies before going to church and  they would still be warm when we got home. I was only raised half catholic and it didn't take, so I don't do the midnight mass anymore but we still have meat pies every Xmas eve. Our meat pie recipe doesn't include venison, it's usually a combo of ground beef, pork, lamb and potatoes and onions. The only other tradition we still keep is drinking hot chocolate, playing holiday music and driving around to see the Xmas lights.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.