Jimbo Mimulus

Cost Of Name Changes Out Of The Bag

On 12/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, CaerolleClaudel said:

Not that this is likely to happen, as it is probably too inconvenient for LL, but wouldn't it be nice if someone whose name suggestion was implemented got fist shot at actually accessing that name?

I got the impression that's what the prize is.

1 hour ago, wesleytron said:

I got the impression that's what the prize is.

I read it as winners get one free name change, but I could be wrong. As I said before, I would be very surprised if the winners got first choice at the name they suggested. But I guess we will see, when and if the whole thing actually happens.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, CaerolleClaudel said:

wouldn't it be nice if someone whose name suggestion was implemented got fist shot at actually accessing that name?

LL is giving away fist shots?! Do we get to choose which Linden delivers it??

... runs off to fill out her entry forms ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

Profiles in general really need an update, maybe two partners and up to three kids? in profile, a mini photo gallery would be nice.

The entire SL program needs a new UI update. Rumours are it might be getting one in 5 years.

4 hours ago, NevaehHeartstrings said:

Profiles in general really need an update, maybe two partners and up to three kids? in profile, a mini photo gallery would be nice.

Why only 2 partners ? 

I have 4 partners that I all love very much.

There is so much more they could do with the profile pages, like more then 10 pictures, a page dedicated to your shop(s) and so on.

1 hour ago, KingArwin said:

There is so much more they could do with the profile pages, like more then 10 pictures, a page dedicated to your shop(s) and so on.

there is a page for that, i call it Facebook   :)

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

40 Bucks ! Bit steep innit ? Is that a one - off payment or annual fee ???

Did you read the thread?  One off payment for premium members?

• Like 1

I'm thinking that $39.99 is about right for what is after all simply a vanity thing. It's priced high enough not to make it out of reach but well above the "disposable" amount.

This is not going to be something a person does lightly - that's what display names will continue to be there for.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2019 at 4:12 PM, AnyaJurelle said:

It's just a bad business model.

Is it really a bad business model though?

Many people in SL probably don't want to spend any money AT ALL, so even making the facility available for, say, $10 is possibly not going to fare much better.

Also, most people who DO want to change their name are probably only going to do so ONCE to fix a poor sign-up choice or a name they've long since tired of, so it NEEDS to be priced to make it worthwhile to LL - there's maybe not much profit to be made by providing it for $10 if people are going to do it and then never again, especially if there is more than enough people prepared to pay $40. At a price point of $10, you'd need 1000 people desperate to change their name to make $10,000, but only 250 people prepared to pay $40 to make the same amount - so it's a question of which is most likely. I suspect it's the latter rather than the former.

I'd also say this isn't really the 'return of last names' in the way that some have campaigned for - nor do I believe it's intended to be - this is the introduction of the facility to change your username. It just so happens to include a last name option as well to further entice those who have been wanting it.

• Like 4

For me personally 0$ is more than I am willing to pay if I have to pick a second name of a list, besides I always refer to people by their display names (when I can read them) so it seems to me does just about everybody else I meet.

I suspect however the labs will, as in their way, go for maximum outrage by starting charging 40 then when the name changes slow down reduce to 30, then 20 etc upsetting all who paid more

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 9:55 PM, Pamela Galli said:

So when someone contacts me about something they bought on their original name, is there going to be a way to check that? 

That's a good question. Because the original name won't show, right? People will have to carry around a receipt and a sl license sorta thing?

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

WOOT! We made it to 13 pages of complaints about something that hasn't even been confirmed yet!

I am SO proud!

aww snap, I toppled it over sowwy

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

That's a good question. Because the original name won't show, right? People will have to carry around a receipt and a sl license sorta thing?

I believe you will see their new name .. it's a name change not new account .. locally stored chat logs or records wont match up though 

I only have a couple of alts that I might have done a name change on, but not for $40 each.  Overall the price will not be considered too high for some folks and for many others it will be considered outrageous.  I'm not necessarily in the "outrageous" camp, but I do think it is too high for me, personally.

The $40 doesn't have to be about LL going for extra profit. LL could easily have spent over $100,000 (plus the loss of resources that could've been used on other work) to make the name change possible, so perhaps they're trying to recoup some of that cost. (And possibly get more premium members.)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The $40 doesn't have to be about LL going for extra profit. LL could easily have spent over $100,000 (plus the loss of resources that could've been used on other work) to make the name change possible, so perhaps they're trying to recoup some of that cost. (And possibly get more premium members.)

I think the system was still capable of handling surnames for new avis, although that was reserved for the "Resident" and "Linden/Mole" last names. But the new name change thing probably a manual job --- lodge a ticket with your new name and one of the staff updates the names in the back end.

2 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I think the system was still capable of handling surnames for new avis, although that was reserved for the "Resident" and "Linden/Mole" last names. But the new name change thing probably a manual job --- lodge a ticket with your new name and one of the staff updates the names in the back end.

The new name change is the result of a lot of coding ... change LSL to be able to connect the UUID with all of the avatar's user names, make sure the system doesn't barf when dealing with "John Doe" now being named "John Deere" (since not all of SL's code used UUIDs), fixing inventory as needed, etc.  It's built into SL now, but I'm sure it took a lot of work to get there. The people developing the software weren't around when it was originally written, so there's a lot of work needed to make changes without breaking other things.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wesleytron said:

Is it really a bad business model though?

Many people in SL probably don't want to spend any money AT ALL, so even making the facility available for, say, $10 is possibly not going to fare much better.

Also, most people who DO want to change their name are probably only going to do so ONCE to fix a poor sign-up choice or a name they've long since tired of, so it NEEDS to be priced to make it worthwhile to LL - there's maybe not much profit to be made by providing it for $10 if people are going to do it and then never again, especially if there is more than enough people prepared to pay $40. At a price point of $10, you'd need 1000 people desperate to change their name to make $10,000, but only 250 people prepared to pay $40 to make the same amount - so it's a question of which is most likely. I suspect it's the latter rather than the former.

I'd also say this isn't really the 'return of last names' in the way that some have campaigned for - nor do I believe it's intended to be - this is the introduction of the facility to change your username. It just so happens to include a last name option as well to further entice those who have been wanting it.

Your post just answers why it is a bad business model.

If, as you say, they did this only for those members that want to fix a bad name choice on sign up, then they have spent over a year of resources probably totaling many tens of thousands of dollars implementing a system for a minority without looking at a method in which it could benefit both the majority of users and their profits. If that is the case then, yes, a very bad business model and decision indeed.

Edited by Drayke Newall

18 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

Your post just answers why it is a bad business model.

If, as you say, they did this only for those members that want to fix a bad name choice on sign up, then they have spent over a year of resources probably totaling many tens of thousands of dollars implementing a system for a minority without looking at a method in which it could benefit both the majority of users and their profits. If that is the case then, yes, a very bad business model and decision indeed.

If they recoup money expended and make a sizable profit, then FOR THEM it is a good business choice. 

In my view it is all about the money. If it was about making everyone in the platform happy, then last names would have never disappeared in the first place. There was a HUGE AND ONGOING protest about last names disappearing. It isn't like the populous voted for that change.  

So it is what it is and those that REALLY want a last name can have one now.  Since it has been almost nine years with no last names it isn't like they scream "newbie" any longer. 

Lani, my building alt -- who when I was building spent most of her time on the beta grid -- was one of the very last folks that surreptitiously acquired  a last name --- long after they were taken off the grid. There were a few (lost and forgotten) educational portals where you could still sign up and get a last time.  I am glad she has one but I certainly wouldn't pay $52 to get one for her (shakes head).

image.png.33f8536c0b52454f279789f213d2dc62.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I

image.png.33f8536c0b52454f279789f213d2dc62.png

huh?..."trial " ? never seen that before .. or my age... forgotten :)

10 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

WOOT! We made it to 13 pages of complaints about something that hasn't even been confirmed yet!

I am SO proud!

1st Rule of Activism. Get your objections in before it happens, rather than say nothing beforehand and then complain about it afterwards 🐱