Cost Of Name Changes Out Of The Bag

Jimbo Mimulus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

25 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i mostly don't need a standard after a beer :)  but that's not what you mean i think...

for a movie budget and a drink cheap beer is ok for me .. my beer to really enjoy are of a different level 🤗

a895d56ee91168d3edba9a141ebe1907.png

29 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And THIS is a real thing?  Wow. 

...runs to the courthouse to see if Boaty McBoatface is available.

Changing your name legally in the UK is technically free, though there are plenty of solicitors here who pretend it isn't. 

42 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Wait, what?  This is a thing?

Yes. @Patch Linden (or it could have been @Oz Linden (OR, I could have a completely wrong Linden LOL)) explained LONG TIME ago that yes, you can do it, though (I may be misremembering the steps) you do it through a support ticket because there are (paraphrased) "some back-end things that need to be done" - but also expressed he is happy to do it. As for Name-change gifting, I'm not so sure about that one. :)

39 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And THIS is a real thing?  Wow. 

...runs to the courthouse to see if Boaty McBoatface is available.

Wait... you, the encyclopedia of knowledge,  never knew this? Hahaha!

Edited by Alyona Su

Another thing to consider with feature requests, I’m guessing the Lab wants to provide (if possible) the ones most requested that will also be practical to manage over the long term. I’m not sure why they removed the last names, but it’s clear that it has been an effort to restore them and that it’s a highly requested feature. But in the end, it’s optional and not at all necessary in any way to do it so I guess I’m not really sure why the price is such a point of contention. With nearly custom surnames being $500/year with a $500 setup fee, a $40 one time fee honestly doesn’t seem outrageous to change away from “Resident” or to leave behind a name you may have outgrown for one reason or another. A hobby forum I’m on (which has the larger international marketplace) allows no alts, no name changes and no second chance if caught breaking the terms. No joke. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieMack said:

Why use a list?

This is how last names were chosen originally. I'm sure the lists (plural) will be just as amazingly expansive as they were originally before they discontinued the option.

For those unfamiliar: (if they do it the same was as the original system was): there is list of the alphabet; A through Z. You pick a letter from the alphabet and a large list (some shorter than others, but a minimum of 20, sometimes as many as 50 or more) names appear, all begining with that letter of the alphabet. One thing to keep in mind: All last names are Capitalized, so if you may as well change your first name (even if it's the same) to a Capitalized version if it's not already. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

I like to think some things (like grouping people by a constrained list of surnames) were a sort of interesting social experiment. I was a member of a clan group for ‘Aeons’ shortly after I first joined. We had a few meets, did a pub crawl and some sight-seeing together but the group kind of fizzled. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Yes. It really is.

Changing your WoW battletag ... $10, you can buy the entire Shadowlands expansion for $40.

Changing your PSN user ID ... $9.99, $4.99 if you're a subscriber.

Xbox Live $9.99 ... Stadia (expected to be) $9.99 ... IMVU $12.99 

Changing your actual real life name, in the US .. prices start at $10 (VA).

478riHg.png

Well to change your name where I live RL, is $137. So it isn't that high. That all being said, once I legally change my name after my surgeries for transitioning,  I will have to pay that amount.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

So when someone contacts me about something they bought on their original name, is there going to be a way to check that? 

This has probably already been answered, but the function is: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey

Example code is on the wiki.  Someone will write a version that pops up a text box for you to paste in the old username soon enough, but I imagine that the big vendor server systems like @Casper Warden 's and others will handle it for you behind the scenes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

LL was founded in 1999

Yep.  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/History_of_Second_Life

I see all the chatter about this being too expensive.  Not so.  It will sell like hot cakes.  

I have some one name alts that will be getting a last name. 

I have a two-name alt with a first name that seemed like a joke at the time; I'll get her a new first-name if I can keep the old last-name.  I thought I read or saw on one of the meeting videos that they were considering letting people change their first-names only if they wanted to keep their existing last name (resident or otherwise).

10 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

This has probably already been answered, but the function is: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey

Example code is on the wiki.  Someone will write a version that pops up a text box for you to paste in the old username soon enough

Qie posted a text box version on page 2 of this thread.  Still tho, the more times this capability is posted about then the more people have an opportunity to  have their question answered

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mollymews said:

Qie posted a text box version on page 2 of this thread.  Still tho, the more times this capability is posted about then the more people have an opportunity to  have their question answered

Thanks Molly.  I finally got all the way through the 6 pages!  Wanting to add this about the old LindenWorld from 2001.

You can get a Primatar Avatar at the SL Historical Museum over on secondlife://PHOBOS/229/151/33. 

Backstory: https://secondlife.com/destination/sl-historical-museum

@Grumpity Linden

Linden probably have already given it some thought but I think is worth mentioning that it may be time to surface the avatar uuid on our inworld profile in the Linden Viewer

at the moment Linden viewer users have to know to use a script to get their own uuid, or if a merchant then a script to check their customers uuids going forward.  Knowing to use a script for this is not immediately knowable. Surfacing the uuid on the inworld profile would I think help quite a lot to emphasis the change from Name to UUID as the principal identity accounting method going forward

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes. @Patch Linden (or it could have been @Oz Linden (OR, I could have a completely wrong Linden LOL)) explained LONG TIME ago that yes, you can do it, though (I may be misremembering the steps) you do it through a support ticket because there are (paraphrased) "some back-end things that need to be done" - but also expressed he is happy to do it. As for Name-change gifting, I'm not so sure about that one. :)

Wait... you, the encyclopedia of knowledge,  never knew this? Hahaha!

Wow.  No...I don't know all the things.  I DID know you could change your name, but not for just $10.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.