Cost Of Name Changes Out Of The Bag

Jimbo Mimulus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So the name change competition has been announced ... see here

In the terms & conditions of the competition the Lab have let the price slip.

Under section 5 (Prize) item "A"
Description of Prizes. One free Last Names change (estimated value at US$39.99 plus $11.99 to represent the value of a month of Premium Membership) on an account of Winner’s choice.

$40 on top of premium membership fees to change your name ?

I personally think that's a little steep ... i'll be staying a mimulus thank you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rather than complaining about costs, I'm thinking this thread should take a new direction.  And that is, "What Goofy New Names Can YOU Think Up?"

LL has already told us they won't go for Boaty McBoatface.  So...

If there's a Hutch, you could be AvatarskyAnd Hutch.

Who's next?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jimbo Mimulus said:

So the name change competition has been announced ... see here
In the terms & conditions of the competition the Lab have let the price slip.

Under section 5 (Prize) item "A"
Description of Prizes. One free Last Names change (estimated value at US$39.99 plus $11.99 to represent the value of a month of Premium Membership) on an account of Winner’s choice.

$40 on top of premium membership fees to change your name ?

I personally think that's a little steep ... i'll be staying a mimulus thank you

I don't find $40 at all unreasonable, personally. I know that can be a lot of money to a lot of people, though. OTOH, it isn't like it is any kind of real necessity (that I know of) to fully participate in SL.

The thing I have a problem with is not getting to choose the last name. Once I found that out, I lost all interest, and in fact just moved to a new account so I could have the first and last names I wanted, even if they are all squashed together as one first name, and my last name is really Resident (I don't think that actually shows up anywhere anyhow?). But that's just me.

FWIW

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Rather than complaining about costs, I'm thinking this thread should take a new direction.  And that is, "What Goofy New Names Can YOU Think Up?"

Who's next?

This is why I have no interest in the new last names. I get that a lot of people find the goofy names fun, but (it's silly, I know) my identity is tied up with my name in SL, and I am not interested in the 2019 version of Itsacooljoke or whatever that one was.

• Like 1

I've already thought of several, which I shan't name here in case I decide to enter the contest.  If by some extraordinary luck I won, the problem for me would be deciding if I actually wanted that name.

[Later that same night!]

I've now entered the contest so it won't harm to say what I suggested, and why.

Beagle:  On 11th May 1820 - Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that would later take a young Charles Darwin on his famous scientific voyage.

Bonny: On 28th November 1720 - Trial and sentencing of Anne Bonny (and Mary Read) for piracy.

Pilgrim: On 6th September 1620 - Mayflower departs from Plymouth, England, with 102 pilgrims and about 30 crew for the New World.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Amelia Mitchell said:

40 plus the premium fee is way too much  for quite a few people. Once more, looks to me like LL have shot themselves in the foot. I really doubt that, at this price, much people is going to change their name, surname or both.

I mean it is a lot of work... the little lindens have to go into your inventory and manually change the name if you made anything ... and all your stuffs has to be changed.. so they have to go to your place and change your name on all your doodads in your home and all your plants and stuffs... I mean it seems like 40 is a bargain !! 🤓🕵️‍♂️

• Haha 4

Putting the cost aside, I simply can't wrap my head around what "witty" means to LL in the context of these new names. I guess we'll see but I am reminded of a quote from The Simpsons:  "We need a name that's witty at first, but that seems less funny each time you hear it."

Rideout would make a great last name. I took it from Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day. Now that's cachet! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

So when someone contacts me about something they bought on their original name, is ther going to be a way to check that? 

i think so.  From what I take out of Oz Linden's previous is that with LSL then the llName2Key() function will return the same avatar uuid for our current name as it will for any previous names we might have had.  llKey2Name() will return our current name

i think that with Marketplace then the avatar uuid will (or should be) surfaced a bit more prominently.  Prominent in the sense that from the merchant accounting pov, account numbers (uuids) will be used more commonly than they maybe have in the past

i think that lots of merchants will have a llName2Key() utility script in their inventory.  Betty Boo says they used to be  BettyBoo Resident. llName2Key() will confirm this 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am still fine with my original name, but my CSR alt entered the contest with a few selections. Witty ones were 2, 1 was referential. I have some theories about what kind of names will fly so I guess I’ll see if they win out! 
I don’t think a 1 time of charge of $40 is way too much for changing something we use as often as a name but I think that’s per name so to change both, $80? They’ve never let but a few people choose both first and last, they have let people use their real names but I think that was once for an RFL auction and before that as some kind of business option. Not sure. 
Since I’m guessing the new name will be tied to the old, I’m not really seeing a personal benefit for buying one unless it’s just to strip off the ‘Resident’ part and replace it with a ‘real last name’.

Grumpy-a** oldbies will still tell you ‘get off my lawn, noob’ and snub you until you are 10 anyway! *snicker*

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Who's next?

/me plops down his $40

"Seamus Zoltan Khan, if you please".

16 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

So when I said $30 ish so long ago quoting a Town Hall meeting that said "equivalent of a few months of premium" and a lot of folks jumped on me ....

HMMMMMM.   :SwingingFriends:

Tissue? 😜.

Separate note : I am okay with the cost. It’s around what I figured it would be anyway. Between $25-$45. I have an alt that has been screaming for a name change for years so if she doesn’t win the contest then the lindens shall have my cold, hard earned rubies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1088 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.