Jump to content
Esmeraldazs

Needing Input On Computer Tower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Right now I have this laptop - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/content/support-product/5994?b=1&pn=NX.MWHAA.007&sn=62103048676

And I'm looking to upgrade to a tower of two different options 

1st option I could afford at the end of the month without touching anything extra - 

Price: $ 260

Gaming Desktop i5 2400 3.4 Ghz| 8GB DDR3 | 500GB | AMD RX480 8GB,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-desktop-computers/winnipeg/gaming-desktop-i5-2400-3-4-ghz-8gb-ddr3-500gb-amd-rx480-8gb/1476893655?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

 

2nd Option is the image at the very bottom that I could get at the end of the month but would have to touch what's not already in my savings account to buy it.

Gigabyte Motherboard that is in the image below

MSI Gaming X Brand for video card 

Benchmark between the two video cards - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-480-vs-AMD-RX-580/3634vs3923

 

Honest Opinion's please of both 

Screenshot_20191216-163157_Kijiji.jpg

Edited by Esmeraldazs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go with the optiplex. The Athlon x4 860k doesn’t perform nearly as well as the i5 2400, and for SL cpu performance matters a lot.

Those optiplex rebuilds are pretty common and decent for their price, especially with an RX 480 and a psu upgrade as that seller has done.

Avoid the FX 4130 system.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

Go with the optiplex. The Athlon x4 860k doesn’t perform nearly as well as the i5 2400, and for SL cpu performance matters a lot.

Those optiplex rebuilds are pretty common and decent for their price, especially with an RX 480 and a psu upgrade as that seller has done.

Avoid the FX 4130 system.

 

It would be the $400.00 one that he says in the image or $290 the first link that I'm considering

The first link is a Dell Tower and he upgraded things to it that it says in the ad

So which one would be better the $290.00 first link or the 400.00 one ? 

Take note I would have to probably have take an extra 100.00 out my chequing account to pay for the 400.00 one 

Edited by Esmeraldazs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Esmeraldazs said:

It would be the $400.00 one that he says in the image or $290 the first link that I'm considering

The first link is a Dell Tower and he upgraded things to it that it says in the ad

So which one would be better the $290.00 first link or the 400.00 one ? 

Take note I would have to probably have take an extra 100.00 out my chequing account to pay for the 400.00 one 

That kijiji listing of the optiplex with the i5, that’s the only option really worth getting at all for under 300$, and even then that price is fairly high for what it actually is if you were to do it yourself.

In the US anyway an RX 480 is only like 90$ if you don’t deal hunt, sometimes you can get them at auction for 70-80. An optiplex 790MT in that configuration with windows and everything already installed is tops another 100$, and then an adequate psu is another 50$. So there’s obviously a margin of profit they have to make but that’s the only one worth getting.

The 860k is only slightly newer and it was not a good time for AMDs processors, it’s not a good choice at all. It can’t coast on the RX 580, it would be bottlenecked to all hell anyway by the relatively weak 860k.

The FX series one with the 650ti is hardly worth anything really, i wouldn’t even suggest it if it was free simply because of the power consumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

That kijiji listing of the optiplex with the i5, that’s the only option really worth getting at all for under 300$, and even then that price is fairly high for what it actually is if you were to do it yourself.

In the US anyway an RX 480 is only like 90$ if you don’t deal hunt, sometimes you can get them at auction for 70-80. An optiplex 790MT in that configuration with windows and everything already installed is tops another 100$, and then an adequate psu is another 50$. So there’s obviously a margin of profit they have to make but that’s the only one worth getting.

The 860k is only slightly newer and it was not a good time for AMDs processors, it’s not a good choice at all. It can’t coast on the RX 580, it would be bottlenecked to all hell anyway by the relatively weak 860k.

The FX series one with the 650ti is hardly worth anything really, i wouldn’t even suggest it if it was free simply because of the power consumption.

Would the power supply be good enough for the card that's in there though of the Kijiji one?

I had someone told me the card would burn out cause the power supply isn't good enough for the video card.

The $400.00 the custom one is saying he can change but the price would be $450.00 for it the cheapest he can do.

inbound709293242779134765.jpg

inbound3539827857814293518.jpg

inbound2300831022977199852.jpg

Edited by Esmeraldazs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Esmeraldazs said:

Would the power supply be good enough for the card that's in there though of the Kijiji one?

I had someone told me the card would burn out cause the power supply isn't good enough for the video card.

The $400.00 the custom one is saying he can change but the price would be $450.00 for it the cheapest he can do.

inbound709293242779134765.jpg

inbound3539827857814293518.jpg

inbound2300831022977199852.jpg

The psu in there is mediocre but it’s fine for the hardware. The RX 480 is only a 150 watt card.

The jump from the 2400 to 4570 also isn’t really worth it.

These kind of builds just aren’t worth spending that much money on for things like an RX 580 instead of a 480, haswell instead of sandy bridge or a slightly higher wattage psu. The i5 2400 and 480 is the most reasonably priced combo of them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At $400-450 I'd start to look around for deals on new computers at holiday sales before I spent that kind of money on a box of used parts with a five year old CPU. 

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

At $400-450 I'd start to look around for deals on new computers at holiday sales before I spent that kind of money on a box of used parts with a five year old CPU. 

http://www.flyerca.com/boxing-day-sales/ that's when they would be having deals again and the only 2 I see are $600+ laptop at Best Buy or $400 Laptop at Walmart after taxes 

I might be getting all your thoughts on a few so dont mind if there ends up being 4 or 5 want get the best bang for the buck kind of thing 

Just seen this go up thoughts on it this below its $450.00

inbound2322416860205038355.jpg

Edited by Esmeraldazs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those builds by the guy who can hardly spell straight are quite horrible imbalanced and not really worth the asking price.

The 1600x / RX 580 one is a decent offer by that "Hobby" guy, considering it's not really a used machine, but more like a preconfigured outlet deals build.

The initial i5 2400 one would have also been ok...ish for that price, but for my liking, it cannot compete with the most current setup from your last post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Esmeraldazs said:

http://www.flyerca.com/boxing-day-sales/ that's when they would be having deals again and the only 2 I see are $600+ laptop at Best Buy or $400 Laptop at Walmart after taxes 

I might be getting all your thoughts on a few so dont mind if there ends up being 4 or 5 want get the best bang for the buck kind of thing 

Just seen this go up thoughts on it this below its $450.00

inbound2322416860205038355.jpg

100% that build with the 1600x, If you can get it, thats a good price with good part choices and has a lot more future potential than the others.

B350 with a bios update will support all current AM4 processors from that first gen 1600x to the current 3rd gen Ryzen 9 lineup.

The sapphire nitro plus is a way better AIB cooler than the msi one, nvme SSD, 3200mhz ddr4

Worth, definitely go for that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...