Extract the textures from mesh objects and put it on a system layer cloth, is that possible ?

Wondergirl216

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

@animats don’t the really old (legit) fullperm business in a box have the fullperm texture templates? I could swear some did...

the old templates are everywhere on the web .. google is your friend :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=templates+second+life&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipx8O0ub3mAhXEoVwKHauxDwoQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1536&bih=728

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

Amusingly, I want the reverse operation - extract textures from system clothes and put them on mesh. There's lots of old full-perm system clothing around, with textures I could use on my animesh. Usually from people long-gone from SL. But the animesh system doesn't do clothing or BOM yet. You have to do the compositing in Photoshop or something similar. System clothing is just a texture with some extra flags, but, unlike regular full perm textures, you can't save the texture to a file outside SL. So I can't recycle old freebies for animesh purposes.

A lot of full perm sellers give you a link to download PSD files and fully rigged DAE files from internet. Check out full permission sellers. 

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder
Added info

35 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Very helpful. Found some good sites that way. Typically very old, but that's OK for now. Thanks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Classic avatar is available on the wiki for download. 

I think that nowadays it is easier to learn blender than backtrack 16 years of SL. Besides, Blender puts you in a better place to do freelance work for Unity based games. There is fantastic modern training available for Blender. To really learn old SL you have to watch a bunch of ten year old videos by Torley and others. 

First of all, there is nothing wrong with classic avatars and the clothing for them.  She is a novice, with apparently no skills in 3D mod. You can not just pick up blender and start making clothing.  All it will do is lead to frustration on her part, she appears to be halfway there. There is nothing at all wrong with learning with the UV mapping provided by SL and using photoshop or Gimp. 

If she starts out with a successful outfit with a template she makes then she is more likely to explore other areas.  It will take her months, if not a year to learn the blender enough to make something that will not crash a sim.

I do not understand classic avatar is available on the wiki do you mean the UV mapping?

Her objective probably is not to "freelance work for unity based games." but to make some neat outfits for herself. I do not care how old school you believe the basics are and discount them. Hell we are back to BOM and those do use the UV map so.

I mean no disrespect, but I really disagree with you on this one. (not that I do not think learning blender is a good option, but give her some confidence with the basics first) And who cares how old those video tutorials are the information within them is priceless.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

Well, I answered the question that was asked.  Making clothes isn't really a beginner topic.  In the basement of the old Governor's Mansion on Clementina there is a 2003 photograph of a very famous avatar wearing a grid to figure out where to paint clothes on their Ruth base avatar.  One can do the same thing today, and look like 2003.  

Anyway, if the OP is interested in learning Creation, I recommend the OP hang out in the "Creation" Forum: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/122-creation-forum/

If the OP is interested in dressing up their avatar, I'd recommend the "Your Avatar" Forum: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/318-your-avatar/

In this forum, we specialize in: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBTEPGVguxyNAKFk38TjU

Several program allow us to paint in 3D now.  I mention Blender in this category because it is free and provides a competent swiss army knife blend of so many 3D tools.  

I recommend against people spending years of their life getting good at doing things the old SL way--that is painting flat UVs in PhotoShop or GIMP.  There are so many better tools available now that let one work directly in 3D.  

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.