Extract the textures from mesh objects and put it on a system layer cloth, is that possible ?

Wondergirl216

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, I found lots of the best mesh items, they do have the fitmesh size for the classic avatar. But there is one question, these sizes are either bigger or smaller than my shape, and it's also quite hard for me to edit the restrain stuff on my avatar. So is there a method, so I can extract the textures from these mesh clothes and put them into the system layer clothes ? Also, I'm thinking about making some of my own clothes during christmas, but I don't know where I can find a manual or tutorial video about it.

24 minutes ago, Wondergirl216 said:

Hi guys, I found lots of the best mesh items, they do have the fitmesh size for the classic avatar. But there is one question, these sizes are either bigger or smaller than my shape, and it's also quite hard for me to edit the restrain stuff on my avatar. So is there a method, so I can extract the textures from these mesh clothes and put them into the system layer clothes ? Also, I'm thinking about making some of my own clothes during christmas, but I don't know where I can find a manual or tutorial video about it.

yes it's possible to extract textures, but illegal unless you have the right to use those textures by the one who made them.
And most mesh textures don't have the same layout as layered clothing.

• Like 4

The answer to your first question is, sadly, no. Even if the object is mod, there's no way to "extract" the textures from it. And if these are mesh items, they use UV maps, which would require a fair bit of messing about to turn into system clothing. If you buy a full perm item -- C/M/T -- it will sometimes come with maps and/or an "example" texture that is packed with the mesh item, and that you can download and play with outside of the viewer. Otherwise, there's no way to get the texture that's being used. (In part, that's to prevent people from ripping off a creator's work.)

Do the clothes not come with alpha layers to wear?

I'll let someone who knows better than I direct you to tutorials.

ETA: Just saw @Alwin Alcott's post. I didn't know that there was a way to rip the textures . . . but, as he says, it's illegal even if you can.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

Maybe one day, LL will invest in dynamic bones and colliders so we can have hair that bounces off of or lays on our chests/shoulders instead of of its rigging causing it to hover over them and so we can have skirts that bounce off our legs/thighs when we walk and lay on our laps instead of its rigging causing it to hover in the air when we sit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Maybe one day, LL will invest in dynamic bones and colliders so we can have hair that bounces off of or lays on our chests/shoulders instead of of its rigging causing it to hover over them and so we can have skirts that bounce off our legs/thighs when we walk and lay on our laps instead of its rigging causing it to hover in the air when we sit.

Oh yes, that would be great but the processing power it would take to do that in real time for multiple avatars in the same scene is mind boggling. It would require dynamic collision bodies that follow the visual shapes of the avatar fairly accurately and the number of collisions the software would have to deal with would be several orders of magnitude larger than today.

4 hours ago, Wondergirl216 said:

Not legally, but even if you could, it wouldn't help because the UV map of a mesh item wouldn't match with the system layer UV map. Every part of the garment texture would be in the wrong place.  You would have to literally re-draw it from scratch. It would be easier and quicker to open a blank Photoshop file and start there.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Oh yes, that would be great but the processing power it would take to do that in real time for multiple avatars in the same scene is mind boggling. It would require dynamic collision bodies that follow the visual shapes of the avatar fairly accurately and the number of collisions the software would have to deal with would be several orders of magnitude larger than today.

The processing would be done viewer-side the same way what little IK's the avatar uses are done and is only complicated the more vertices a mesh object uses. So with hair less than 20K vertices, not so bad, but with 200K, it could be a little laggy, heh.

If LL adopted rag doll physics, that would be server side, but the hit box for each limb would be pretty generic shaped to cut down on collision calculation.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If LL adopted rag doll physics, that would be server side, but the hit box for each limb would be pretty generic shaped to cut down on collision calculation.

OpenGL's built in physics engine supports ragdolls but it's never been implemented in SL. I wonder if we can find some ragdoll physics expert who could comment on this... Paging @animats.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Wondergirl216 said:

So is there a method, so I can extract the textures from these mesh clothes and put them into the system layer clothes ?

It's easy enough to bake textures from one object to another inside Blender, even with significantly different UV Maps and shapes, but you have to have them outside SL to do so.  There really isn't much that you can do inworld except in a few special cases.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I would be their sex slave for life.

We have a parallel thread going where people argue that postings photos on the internet would be ethical. 

3 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

It's easy enough to bake textures from one object to another inside Blender, even with significantly different UV Maps and shapes, but you have to have them outside SL to do so.  There really isn't much that you can do inworld except in a few special cases.

We have a parallel thread going where people argue that postings photos on the internet would be ethical. 

OK. But are there any tutorial videos about how to do it ?

57 minutes ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I heard something just whiz over my head, but I was too slow to see what it was.  What does my offer to be Animats's sex slave have to do with the ethics of posting SL photos on the web?

I just want to have cloth dynamics!  It's not a question of ethics.

6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

What does my offer to be Animats's sex slave have to do with the ethics of posting SL photos on the web?

Nothing, I just want pictures!  I don't care how I get them; as long as I get them ethically that is.

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder

10 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Holy Christ, You are giving her a tutorial in Blender and she cant even edit her classic avatar?? 

Classic avatar is available on the wiki for download. 

I think that nowadays it is easier to learn blender than backtrack 16 years of SL. Besides, Blender puts you in a better place to do freelance work for Unity based games. There is fantastic modern training available for Blender. To really learn old SL you have to watch a bunch of ten year old videos by Torley and others. 

Everyone’s brain works differently regarding the ‘easiest’ and or ‘best’ way.  Sometimes best practices or prevailing wisdom helps, sometimes it complicates. If looking for a simple inworld solution, advice starting with downloading and learning outside programs might be like drinking from the firehose. It was for me. Glad later that I read about it...but way too much at the time when I just wanted my skirt to fit! ☺️

I took a standard ‘5 sizes’ ‘M’ shape, put my face numbers on it and that took care of most of my classic avatar fitmesh issues. Once in a while I need to adjust something for a wide range of motion dance or such. From what I read, much of the fitmesh Classic pieces are based on that shape.
If it’s a Meli template (I know, not the best but lots of people use them), those slider numbers are given on her website. 
For people reluctant to adjust their shape, more measures are needed. 

On 12/15/2019 at 11:23 PM, Wondergirl216 said:

Hi guys, I found lots of the best mesh items, they do have the fitmesh size for the classic avatar. But there is one question, these sizes are either bigger or smaller than my shape, and it's also quite hard for me to edit the restrain stuff on my avatar. So is there a method, so I can extract the textures from these mesh clothes and put them into the system layer clothes?

Amusingly, I want the reverse operation - extract textures from system clothes and put them on mesh. There's lots of old full-perm system clothing around, with textures I could use on my animesh. Usually from people long-gone from SL. But the animesh system doesn't do clothing or BOM yet. You have to do the compositing in Photoshop or something similar. System clothing is just a texture with some extra flags, but, unlike regular full perm textures, you can't save the texture to a file outside SL. So I can't recycle old freebies for animesh purposes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.