How to create tiny avatar shapes

Iniq

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The classical way to do it with a prim is to make the prim hollow.  Then, make the face on the inside of the hollow visible and all exterior faces transparent.  That way, the hole shows up as a really tiny object, which you can make as small as you make the hole itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The classical way to do it with a prim is to make the prim hollow.  Then, make the face on the inside of the hollow visible and all exterior faces transparent.  That way, the hole shows up as a really tiny object, which you can make as small as you make the hole itself.

That is a fantastic idea! But how can that prim be designated as a shape with the square brown icon, usable as the avatar's shape?

Iniq, I sent some samples to you.  As with any item received from someone you do not know or trust, please be careful.  Only hazard in this case is they are VERY VERY SMALL.  No scripts involved.  I made them using copies of full permission prims created by Philip Linden.

For a sphere, make it 5% hollow then set the outside face texture to *Default Transparent Texture from the library.

Cylinders and cubes can be path-cut and sliced and tapered almost to non-existence.

You won't be seeing complex shapes made tiny unless you get into sculpted prims and sculpt then down into what you desire.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

https://ayumicassini.blogspot.com/2009/07/ultimate-guide-to-prim-twisting.html

Grrr, I should refresh the page before posting. I see you're asking about avatar shapes, which must be mesh, and will require learning a tool like Blender.

Thanks for the useful link McMasters, Blender has a rather steep learning curve I suppose, how about gimp?

GUYS!!!! Did you all forget that Tinies existed well before Mesh was introduced?

A tiny shape is basically a normal shape, usually set to all the minimum values.
Of course, that does not make you small enough to become a tiny, so the creators of tiny avatars include an AO or animation to the mix which will deform your avatar into something even smaller.

EDIT: I looked and there are a few free Tiny avatars on the marketplace, go and collect them so you can study them. Just look for "free tiny avatar".

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

GUYS!!!! Did you all forget that Tinies existed well before Mesh was introduced?

Good point.  Never having tried to make a tiny, I had forgotten that.  The OP edited the original post and its title to clarify that she's interested in AVATAR shapes, which was not clear at first, hence the confusion in our answers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

A tiny shape is basically a normal shape, usually set to all the minimum values.
Of course, that does not make you small enough to become a tiny, so the creators of tiny avatars include an AO or animation to the mix which will deform your avatar into something even smaller.

EDIT: I looked and there are a few free Tiny avatars on the marketplace, go and collect them so you can study them. Just look for "free tiny avatar".

Now that is a lead I must follow up on right now! Thanks Fritigern Gothly

41 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Good point.  Never having tried to make a tiny, I had forgotten that.  The OP edited the original post and its title to clarify that she's interested in AVATAR shapes, which was not clear at first, hence the confusion in our answers. 

Sorry about that, but I could see my original title and description was short of the point. Live and learn they say  :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I didn't forget the old fashioned tiny avatars. I had (might still have) one long ago. As I recall, it looked very weird unless I used the accompanying AO, as you mentioned. I suppose there might be tiny AOs that can be coupled with DIY avatar settings to produce something workable. I think modern mesh avatars can use animations intended for regular sized avatars without looking weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

First stop should be:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_deformation 

Google and YouTube searches should include the old school term: deformer .  There is a lot out there. It use to be a thing. 

Basically, the technique is to adjust the SL skeleton by editing BVH files. It is much quicker and easier to do it in Blender with @Gaia Clary 's Avastar or in Maya with @OptimoMaximo ' toolset   these days.  

If Optimo wants to correct some detail, I defer to him, but that is the general idea. 

Edited by Desiree Moonwinder
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

First stop should be:

Google and YouTube searches should include the old school term: deformer .  There is a lot out there. It use to be a thing. 

Basically, the technique is to adjust the SL skeleton by editing BVH files. It is much quicker and easier to do it in Blender with @Gaia Clary 's Avastar or in Maya with @OptimoMaximo ' toolset   these days.  

If Optimo wants to correct some detail, I defer to him, but that is the general idea. 

I remember the most common method to make tinies was to fold all the limbs over via a base animation along with a very small avatar shape. But these days yes, the best solution is to edit the joint positions from human size to the desired dimension and use that as a starting point for the specific character animations. Of course the same applies if you want to make a giant avatar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2019 at 11:03 PM, Desiree Moonwinder said:

First stop should be:

Trying to fallow you correctly, beyond the body, or otherwise described as shape, there is what you are calling the 'SL Skeleton' that is utilized in such applications like Bento manipulations, also known as 'deformation'? Sadly got that wrong, right?

On 12/29/2019 at 4:23 AM, OptimoMaximo said:

I remember the most common method to make tinies was to fold all the limbs over via a base animation along with a very small avatar shape. But these days yes, the best solution is to edit the joint positions from human size to the desired dimension and use that as a starting point for the specific character animations. Of course the same applies if you want to make a giant avatar. So, I would appear I'm destined to immerse myself back into Blender.

I suppose we've all seen the ridiculously funny deforming avis that instantly stretch both supper tall, then snap back down to proper size, as if it was the incredible stretching man. I've also seen, very recently, a complete, and marvelously detailed avatar around 2 inches tall, or perhaps smaller, standing firmly on the ground with all the physics regular sized avis exhibit(puffed away before I could chat with the driver). Obviously this requires 3D animation graphics design.

Loosely associated to this topic, or perhaps not, I'd like a better understanding of the different bonds between 1) 'Add' objects to an avatar, 2) the 'Sit' on prims function, or even avatars, as in the 'Head Sitter', and 3) 'Link' prims together, with this one having a 32m limitation, while the others must be in the immediate vicinity. Link, and Add, seem in precipice to be identical, whereas Sit is far less enduring, so it's use is limited to the moment, where the bond is broken by teleportation, or re-logging.

For whatever reason I just said that, the 'Sit' function activates whatever script is attached to the prim, and for example, if two prims, having different scripts assigned to each, are linked, the prime object's script takes over. So, my question.. Is there anyway to allow multiple scripts to function independently within the same prim, or linked prims, having different scripts in each?

Obviously my thoughts on these matters aren't properly organized here, but if anyone would care to make needed edits and corrections in my wondering thinking, I'd be forever grateful.

Edited by Iniq

27 minutes ago, Iniq said:

For whatever reason I just said that, the 'Sit' function activates whatever script is attached to the prim, and for example, if two prims, having different scripts assigned to each, are linked, the prime object's script takes over. So, my question.. Is there anyway to allow multiple scripts to function independently within the same prim, or linked prims, having different scripts in each?

You should make a new thread about this question in the scripting forum.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/304-lsl-scripting/

It's entirely possible to have scripts working separately in the linkset -- even in the same prim. Nothing dictates that some script needs to "take the lead."

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You should make a new thread about this question in the scripting forum.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/304-lsl-scripting/

It's entirely possible to have scripts working separately in the linkset -- even in the same prim. Nothing dictates that some script needs to "take the lead."

Done! and thanks. 

"It's entirely possible to have scripts working separately in the linkset -- even in the same prim. Nothing dictates that some script needs to "take the lead.""

If you could comment in the new thread the conventions used in separating scripts in the same prim, or 'linkset', how cool would that be!

Edited by Iniq

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.