New furniture for Victorians?

Sakura Sands

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, I have two issues. I have victorian/gothic furniture but it's way dated (one of my dining room chairs clocks in at 19 prims!) in the sense that it's all prims and sculpties.
My second issue is that I have very little money. I do some scripting for people but my jobs are few and far between, so I have to go with cheap and/or free stuffs.

With that in mind, I am initially planning on doing some serious damage to my budget at Antique Artistry (there are two MP stores by that name, one owned by Poppet McGimsie and the other by Fatima Ur, and I will be buying from both).
Another one that will be receiving my L$ is JubJubs Stuff although don't think I will be spending as much there because they don't have as much stuff that I like but still enough to mention here.

As time progresses, I will probably replace items that I am not 100% happy with and get some more costly pieces of furniture, but I'm sure that these two stores will do fine at first.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sakura Sands said:

Who here is planning on buying all new furniture to fit the style of their new Victorian home when it comes out?  I usually prefer a more modern relaxed look for my furniture but I’m not sure if my existing furniture will fit well in a Victorian.

I plan on buying bits and bobs as I go along but I already have some stuff which will suit the Victorian theme. I have been keeping an eye out for suitable stuff at various shops and events. I just love the new homes and cannot wait 😍

• Like 3

I think a LOT of people bought out the store during the Apple Fall sale which had plenty of things that would work well in a Victorian.  

You could also just MIX your more contemporary furniture with "antiques" that are Victorian. That is what most folks do in real life (I have lived in some historical districts).  So a more eclectic look.  I don't see any reason that the houses need to be furnished completely "Victorian".  I have lived in several themed sims that were of that era and used a mix and it worked well. 

• Like 19

I last lived in a Victorian in the 70s / early 80s. So my instinct is to decorate it with things from the late 70s Disco era. My other instinct would be to fill it with a high-tech neo-Cyberpunk feel. I will probably just rez out all the usual suspects though... and keep thinking of eventually putting together a theme that I don't actually get around to... :)

• Like 7

At the Winter2019 Shop and Hop event, Sempiternal's free gift is some lovely Victorian photos and frames. They are located on the golden sim. There are 6 sims (regions? 😁) in this event. Apart from the square one (which is 1 Li) the others are quite high Li.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Golden/146/192/52

901125976_Sempiternalframes_001.thumb.png.b04bd1155621bc869a81bca8299c1d61.png

Edited by Elyeah
to include Li info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IRL, Victorians are very flexible homes to live in, and a variety of types of people land in them.  For example:

> A houseful of grad students.  Run-down furniture reaching desperately to attain shabby chic stature.

> Painted Lady.  The new choices of wall colors could be used to play into this!  Go for eclectic, maybe some distorted chair shapes, statement colors.

> Ultra-modern.  An AI professor at my college way back when did this.  Black cushions, chrome, glass, brightly painted shingles outside, odd wallpapers inside, porch very cozy LL Bean look.  Despite the stylistic differences, It worked amazingly well.  There are examples on interior design sites around the internet.  For this style, it helps to choose a home with a LOT of light.

> Farmhouse Victorian, or "modern farmhouse" as some call it.  Think Pottery Barn? 

ETA: Remember, in Patch's photo from the opening of the preview sim, he's skateboarding across a fountain.  I don't think we need feel constrained to stick to overstuffed couches and heavy velvet curtains :)  Being a modern person living in a Victorian house will be just fine, just as people doing Victorian RP will be welcome too.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I bought tons of things during the AF sale so I will probably use that stuff along with other stuff I have.  I am not going to buy anything specific for these new houses until they are released and I can actually put some things out and see how it looks.

• Like 8

Well since my SL "birth" in April 2007 I never bought much furniture at all ... then there came the first showcase of the new Bellisserian homes and just in time the bis saleout of Pixel Mode. I invested several thousand L$ there - just lately you could get EVERYTHING for just 50L$ at Apple Fall ... I bought EVERYTHING and left about 10 000 L$ there. That should be enough! 

I do nor RP and do not plan to walk about in the Victorian regions in Victorian outfits (though I have some). I plan to look at them as antique homes restaurated nicely and sold or rented in modern times. I must admit I do not know how to furnish them yet but it will have to be with furniture I allready own. And I do look foreward to the first pictures posted by our several decoration - queens! ;)

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 5

I don't need addons now. Every house has at least 1 porch, and 4 (5) rooms.

I need every Li for the furniture and decor. I like to stuff the rooms as much as I can. I have not had the option for dark trim before, so I think I will use that and dark colors, maroon, emerald green, deep purple.

I am reading this as a reference: http://www.adriennechinn.co.uk/interior-design-styles/victorian.htm

" The delight in the past meant that Victorians sometimes used a different style in a particular room. They might have placed Gothic furniture in the library, rococo in the drawing room and bedroom, and Renaissance in the dining room. None of these treatments would have been authentic. Indeed, the three Louis styles in particular were often confused and intermixed. "

I don't have to be a style expert, I will use what looks old and go with it. I will try to use as much as I can of what I already have. I belive every SL home has at least one thing from Apple Fall. That sale made sure of that.

When I am tired of this dark color style, I can try a light and modern style.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sakura Sands said:

Who here is planning on buying all new furniture to fit the style of their new Victorian home when it comes out?  I usually prefer a more modern relaxed look for my furniture but I’m not sure if my existing furniture will fit well in a Victorian.

If only Desmond Shang was still in the furniture business! I do have some of his antiques I'm going to put out, however.

Since this house looks almost exactly like a Victorian house my family lived in, in 1962, that's the furniture that is going to go out. So it's off to Fin's...

Note to abuse-reporters: Russian Orthodox Christmas is January 6, and Old New Year's is January 13. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Trinity Aironaut said:

My First addition to the Victorian....I really wanted at those bay windows to create a comfy place to sit and dream away. So far 3 colors. I'll add cushions and animations tomorrow perhaps a soft throw...................

That's prettiful! Did you buy that, or make it yourself?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

Just went to Apple Fall today and noticed that they have some wingback chairs near the back of the store that are $0. There were a whole bunch of folks there which was rather surprising to me.

Newly redesigned store - it said in the chatter and notices anyway. I haven't been over. 

But yes lots of Apple Fall stuff works perfectly in the Victorians.  And LOTS of folks bought LOTS of stuff when it was all 50 lindens LOL.  My friend bought a ton and some works wonderfully and others not, but it is hard when you didn't really have the house to decorate before purchasing.  But the prices were SO low that a few extra purchases didn't really count. I bought  a lot of stuff that I may or may not ever use, but I have it now for the future.  There are free things in the Annex or sales room or whatever. A very nice vanity set is free and works well in the houses. Lots of little things if you don't have them yet so do an area search as many are not obviously free. :D

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.