Can I make my own AO?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, it's possible.

I can't remember where, but I've seen empty AO HUDs where you can put your own animations into it (and many AO HUDs are modifiable to let you add/remove animations from them). If you're using Firestorm, you can also make use of the Firestorm AO feature (which is highly recommended, as it reduces the amount of HUDs and scripts you've got on you).

For info on the Firestorm AO feature, check this article: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/animation_overrider

Yes, you can!  And it's easy and free.

There are three ways.

1. The Hard Way.  Start from scratch and write your own AO script.  Ugh, not recommended!
  2. The Old Fashioned Way.  Get a freebie empty Zhao II AO.  This is already scripted, and already has a HUD.  Just follow the directions to add animations.  One is available here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ZHAO-II/1593159
  3. The Firestorm Way.  If you use the Firestorm viewer, it has a built in AO!  This reduces your script load, saves on screen real estate, and you can even make multiple sets of animations to use for various occasions or to suit your mood.  Instructions: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/animation_overrider

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The Hard Way.  Start from scratch and write your own AO script.  Ugh, not recommended!

I didn't consider that option - but then, I'm script blind and couldn't make a prim say 'hi' on touch without risking bringing the region down.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The Hard Way.  Start from scratch and write your own AO script.  Ugh, not recommended!

Well, in the grand scheme of scripted things, an AO is one of the easier things to create, actually.  In fact, there's a very simple example in the LSL wiki that shows exactly how to do it.  The example can be prettied up by adding a dialog menu and other bells and whistles (like an ON/OFF switch), but it's a nice basic AO as it stands.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Orwar said:

I'm script blind and couldn't make a prim say 'hi' on touch without risking bringing the region down.

Same here. I think I'm the only person who can copy and paste a working script exactly as-is, with no changes, and still break it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

Same here. I think I'm the only person who can copy and paste a working script exactly as-is, with no changes, and still break it.

I've done that! I must have cursed fingers or something.

Ah this brings back memories! When I first joined sl I googled everything I could find about it and one of the things I read was that you needed a walk because the standard walk for women was more like a duck than a human walk. I read an article about building an attachment to store your walk script, in and it was called an AO bracelet. 

Well, there I was one day old with a torus prim that I was trying to attach to my arm to function as a bracelet and I could not for the life of me get it to fit right.  So I found New Citizens Incorporated in Kuula and went there and tried to explain to them my problem.  Well apparently the article I read about how to make an AO bracelet was 5 or 6 years old (this was in 2009) and little did I know but AO's had already become quite common and you didn't have to make a bracelet because they had already invented huds and it was easy to get a free AO. 

But because my question was about the torus and fitting, it took a while for anyone to understand what it was I really needed. And I met my first teacher, Quite Oh, who first of all took me to Abranimations to pick up a free AO and then gave gave me a basic lesson in how to manipulate prims.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Milla Alexandre said:

I have my own walking and standing animations and I would like to put them into an AO.  Is there a way to create such a thing and what else do I need?

Is it easier to just go buy a new one?  

Thanks in advance,

Milla

As other have sated, you can get the free Zhao II AO, though it's somewhat limited in features. If you want more features (like built-in Dancing category, Gestures category and so on) then you can shop Market Place for a "Blank AO". I use MyAO 4D (Though that is the priciest one for the features, there are less expensive versions.) Most of these use a notecard configuration and many of those are based on the Zhao standard.

If you don't want to mess with notecards, there are the AKEYO blank AO gadgets - you just drop your animations into it then go to a web site to create your sets (Satnding, Walking, Sitting, etc.) - and choose how long each pays before changing to the next, whether they cycle, random, all kinds of things. Though for these features, the Blank AO costs some L$.

It comes down to how much you want to invest and what features you want.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.