What are the rules governing building a bridge over a Linden River ?

Yllek Nishi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have 2 parcels which are intersected by a Linden River. I would like to build a bridge over the linden river so that I can connect my 2 parcels together.

Are there any rules that I have to follow (i.e.. Do I have to have the bridge at a specific height above the water level) or is there a rule that says I simple cannot Do this ?

Any help / advice appreciated.

Wylye Nishi

7 answers to this question

Interesting question. Its not something that would come up very often as there can`t be many people with land both sides of a Linden River. I would assume that any bridge would depend on what the river gets used for, for example it wouldn`t be allowed to block boat traffic if there is any.

There is no User-Group for Land at the moment, so I`m not sure which Lindens are in charge of that, I would suggest speaking to LiveChat to find out who to ask.

Well, your biggest problem is going to be that you aren't permitted to leave prims on Linden Land.  Thus you'll have to be clever in your contstruction.  One method would be to use 40mx40mx2m Megacubes turned into cylinders, hollowed out, cut in half and then sunk deep into the land of both sides.  Thus you get a footbridge with the centers of both prims squarely in your land. 

But an upcoming change which will prevent prim encroachment is due in a few weeks.  That would make this trick fail.  But it would work for a little while at least.  Just make sure the prims are hollow and on your land so you don't impede traffic or have the prims' centers in Linden Land.

Another idea just occurred to me.  Why not make a drawbridge?  The center of the linkset staying in your land would mean no objections from the Gov and the bridge being open most of the time would not impede even the tallest traffic.  Get a builder to make you a working drawbridge that crosses the river.  Should be simple.

It's not that uncommon to find bridges spanning across protected land, usually roads. So there might be a little slack given here. However, I do think it is officially encroachment and not, strictly, allowed. There was a notable case of a very large and intricate timber railway bridge being suddenly demolished some years ago. If anyone complains of obstruction, reasonably or not, it would likely have to go. The forthcoming encroachment detection stuff could also lead to auromatic removal, depending what kinds of settings are made on protected land.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.