why do avatars have brains?

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's a pet peeve of mine that merchants will fill the inside of avatars with all kinds of random textured prims... driving up graphic complexity...

Much as I like having a Catwa head... this annoys me to no end...

Anything mod, I replace with the default transparent texture set to alpha mask at 255.

Anything not mod just annoys me everytime I see it. If it has a HUD I can use to hide it I use that - but most merchants just set it to transparent 100 which... does NOTHING for reducing graphics load... You need to use the default transparent texture AND alpha MASK not blend...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I believe a better question is, why doesn't LL require the people operating avatars to have brains?

Sigh. I was too late to the thread and you responded first with what I thought:

To make up for the lack of brains of the people operating the avatars...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

set it to transparent 100 which... does NOTHING for reducing graphics load... You need to use the default transparent texture AND alpha MASK not blend...

I’ve been wondering about the best practices for transparent things, so they aren’t actually rendered..., do you by chance have the official documentation link for this? I’d much appreciate it!

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I’ve been wondering about the best practices for transparent things, so they aren’t actually rendered..., do you by chance have the official documentation link for this? I’d much appreciate it!

The item is still loaded into memory either way. To stop that, you'd have to actually delete that prim or piece of mesh.

What I am noting is what it needed to reduce the number of textures loaded. Replace it with a universal texture.

I commonly see people using the default texture of a prim and set it to 100 on transparent...

But alpha mask is better as true hiding of the object - it won't have any visible 'ghosts'. Using a transparent number value means the item is still rendered for purposes of 'layering' - the infamous alpha glitch because there isn't really any working layering... so things get out of order.

The default transparent texture is everywhere in SL, just like the default prim texture - so it becomes the best way to do this as it allows you to set alpha mask and a value of 255 (fully hidden).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

Its the little spot on the upper right of the head texture that needs to be alpha'd out on the system skin to mask the system hair.

SL-Avatar-Head-512.jpg

It is done like this:

vH4yXX7mrUA6sG477sTQhGV47vumeZzdf3p4c8mK

that is eyelash. classic avatar hair is controlled with a head base. tat you us an alpha and you have to adjust the shape in that or else you get some odd artifacts

Edited by Tarina Sewell

On 12/13/2019 at 3:13 PM, NevaehHeartstrings said:

many Hair Designers often provide hair were the root is a Heart for your Chest,  Did you know avatars can also breathe air in SL?

Well, our chests can rise and fall, anyway.  Not sure that means there is actual air, though!

I wasn't aware of any of this until I got my first mesh head of the 3 letter name variety ❤️
I swanned & preened all around SL until....^^.. one fateful day.... whilst editing my shape.....

I realised - -> I had no brain <-- 😨 

Shattered, demoralised, feeling like FrankenStLeins daughter.... I returned to the store.
I wailed and moaned in group chat, desperate for a reply.
"Even a peanut would do!" I cried to the mods!
Why oh why?! I asked...over and over again...
Alas.... there was no answer forthcoming.
And so my quest began.....

I sought the bell ringer of the Paris sim as my only companion but no-one, not even my dear friend Quasi, could put my missing mind at ease.
I visited the Scarecrow at The Far & Away sim, we hugged and wept bitterly at our shared plight. 
Toto ran off yelping at the sight of us 8-/ 
The red shoes sprinted away leaving a trail of dust hanging in the late afternoon air.
Travelling many a mile, we desperately questioned every single avatar we encountered,
Bots laughed, jeered and pointed, whispering satanic robo-gestures in our chat.
DJ;s played the same $hit over and over and over again, purely to unspring the vacant hinge. 
Hosts oooo-lah-lahh-laaed until we vomited, carrot bits ricocheting off the never ending region restart notices. 
exhausted, we huddled together in the corn field, waiting for a tornado to finally put an end to our eternal mislery once and for all. 

Eventually, i returned to the store, moping, dragging one leg, my limp, gnarled hands quivering like a moderators ban hammer,
drool cascading like a greifers chat log, resigned to the fact that I was forever burdened with a measly IQ of 01001-100110.

Reflecting in the change room mirror, (which provided no consolation as there is none),
my neck seam was perfectly hidden, how had they visited this vile act upon me?....(someone else wondered for me).

Then one day.... as I was sobbing uncontrollably in the store corner, an avatar approached cautiously, ever so quietly...
"Whats wrong there gingerbread girl?" He whispered kindly. "A Brain" he laughed? "YES! I spluttered"  
(my lips flubbering about like like Lola Tango & Phatazz attachments with kneeschlapping physics)...
"Here have this one" said he, gleefully holding a squidgy, wrinkly, wet dripping mess in one hand.
"On the marketplace for free" offering a large plastic straw with the other.

I hoovered until Dyson blushed & resigned, waking from my zombified slumber, ecstatically reading the results of
tsunamis of incoming event invitations, welcoming the depraved degenerate comments of disgusting cellar dwellers.
rejoicing in eternally inane forum games ❤️ 😄

Happy that my Wirtual Vorld had returned to normal once again. \0/ 

ps: The Tin-Man wanted to borrow my Slink Physique heart - I copied him one :)

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well,I heard we have brains to keep the Zombies alive,which in turn keeps the Ninjas that hunt the zombies,happy..

Zombies usually eat a lot of the new users brains because they are pretty easy to get since there is such a learning curve at first and the zombies can outrun the new users really easily..

There is a trick to not getting your brain eaten by a zombie as a new users and it's why we always have new users around..

When a new user goes to try stuff on,a lot of times they get boxes stuck on their heads and zombies can't smell their brains..

Aaaanyways,Zombies keep the ninjas happy which keeps us older users safe..because if the ninjas have no zombies to hunt,they get bored and start Hunting older users,because new users are no challenge for them..

As older users it's much better to run from a zombie than it is a ninja,because Ninja's are much smarter and way faster than Zombies..

I forgot what the original question was.........Oh yea!!

And this is why we have brains..

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, Rumancekk said:

I didn't know exactly where to post this, but since it wasn't an actual question about MY avatar...

why the heck do avatars have brains? I don't know of its a SPECIFIC mesh or what but everytime I load into a sim , chances are in addition to seeing floating clothes, I'm gonna see a floating brain.  I just can't fathom why the care was put into putting a brain in when you're not even supposed to see it ,and what the point of it is?

I have no idea but I will inject my thought anyway.... I think they want to appear more brainy than they are.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, Linda Reddevil said:

It's the Catwa signature. It can be turned off though but maybe it makes some feel smart 🧠 by keeping it visible. Why ruin the illusion for them? 

how do you turn it off? I wanna turn it off..... every time i see it, it freaks me out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.