Is a discussion better in SL or the forums?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't really have discussions in world anymore..

I talk with people in world,but really don't get into anything more than just small talk or trying to help out in a group chat with trouble shooting..

I really don't get into too much in the forums as much as i used to either..

Most of my posts end up being about this big..hehehehe

13 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

In my own personal opinion I find that the discussions in the forums while I have had some really decent ones do have a bit more of a better chance of becoming polluted with toxic and rude comments which is why I don't frequent them very often except in short bursts if at all.

If you stand a good chance of being polluted with toxic and rude comments, as you drop by here to inform us periodically, why not just do yourself a favor and stay out of the forum? Just makes sense, right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

hehe thanks. I hung up my katana long ago, but I do have gestures we used for fights. Mine was a cute curtsy with accompanying text in English and Japanese. If I can find it in my inventory we can swap. 😉 

Awesome that works. Deal. lol Thanks. ;)

7 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

If you stand a good chance of being polluted with toxic and rude comments, as you drop by here to inform us periodically, why not just do yourself a favor and stay out of the forum? Just makes sense, right? 

Thank you so much for helping me prove my point. So awesome of you to do. Lmao!!!! 😎

Based on my experience of being on the committee for organising a major in-world event, and also with business experience in RL, I would say definitely in-world, pixel-to-pixel meeting, where the number of people involved is around a dozen or fewer.

Our organising committee had regular committee meet-ups in-world, but they were once a month, and the rest of the time we communicated by IM or email. We would get more done and more decisions agreed-on in two hours face-to-face than we would in an entire month of IMs/emails.

However, when you start getting a LOT of people, more than about a dozen, then a forum is better. Mainly because when a lot of people are gathered face-to-face, the chat will be dominated by a few of the more confident people, while others hold back, either because of social awkwardness/anxiety or just because they can't get a word in edgewise. In that case, using forums is a way of allowing those people to contribute also, when they might not wish to do so in a group setting.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Do you think a discussion is better in SL (real-time typing in a 3d virtual world with body/face emotes, sounds, animations).

Body language is not really a thing in SL. We are using pre-programmed animations that are just cycled-through in our AO, or part of the furniture we're sitting on. We're not reacting to anything that's being said in-world. I mean you could crazy-click your face animation hud if you wanted to but if you're doing that, you're not going to have time to participate in the actual discussion. And who would notice anyway? I certainly don't cam around in a meeting to look at other avatar's faces. I'm looking at the slideshow or at the notecards that are being passed around, or looking at local chat.

And anyone who uses sounds and gestures in a meeting deserves to be booted off the committee. 😡

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lureo said:

I am amazed that this forum is still activ and used. This kind of forum was in years 2000. I noticed that it is an old fashion way of communication. Ancestor of social network. Maybe this community is very old.

And yet, here you still are.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Here's my question @Velk Kerang and @Pamela Galli . Would you be saying these things in-world if you were standing next to each other avatar to avatar.

Why would I not defend this forum anywhere? 

I always comment when I hear someone accuse regulars here of being “rude” and “toxic”, with zero provocation, as in this thread,  by someone who regularly drops by solely to make accusations, as Velk’s posting history shows he does.

I comment inworld, in this forum, in other forums: I have been in many forums, and this is a good one, filled with many outstanding people who do not deserve to be insulted without the slightest provocation, and esp when they are offering helpful info.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 3

Responding to the point about live chat disappearing whereas forum posts remain to be read years later.

That is true, but, even forum posts which were made a few days ago can be easily missed, and unless someone had malicious intent and has kept links for years (which they may!) the general lifespan of any post in a  forum thread seems about a week at most to me, more likely three days. Unless there are some very specific search terms involved and someone thinks to look for those.

I find live chat in large groups overwhelming. If I can type in a five word sentence before the text disappears off the page I'm winning. Face to face one to one, or small groups is a different story.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2019 at 1:27 AM, Bree Giffen said:

Here's my question @Velk Kerang and @Pamela Galli . Would you be saying these things in-world if you were standing next to each other avatar to avatar.

I probably would if the same thing was said to me. Only difference is I may have followed it up with a have a nice day or a you have fun with that comment and walked away. lol I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't say anything in one place that I wouldn't in another. If I say it on the forums then I'll say it in SL. If I say it to you on the internet then I'll say it directly to you in RL as well too. To me it's the same concept as don't say anything about someone you wouldn't have the guts to say directly to their face. So I am pretty straight forward like that. ;)

• Like 2

In SL IMO...but only within a community or established group. I don’t care for random places like infohubs at all, even with voice lowered and gestures off. It’s just too ‘lol, randumb’. That said, some people really enjoy that and can pick up fun, de-stress from RL in wacky abandon and gain satisfying exchanges and friendships from exactly that and sometimes they also enjoy helping new people that way so it’s good for them. Forum threads and discussion can be good or stale for me. I’ve had better luck on Discord for topics but I do participate in 2 other forums which is why I decided to give this one a try.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.