Double side mesh upload?

Sonielf Zinner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I have a question about a double sided meshs.

I need upload a flag, and found a problem for upload.

Sometime ago,  I would upload a double mesh just making a mesh copy in blender and fliping face direction. It didn't work recently, because the SL viewer cant generate a mesh lower than medium, and lock the same value for low and lowest lods. The object would have a huge land impact. :(

I found a solution, but not the best.

Uploaded a object with face orientation in one side, and a object copy with flipped side (Not joined objects, 2 objects upload). 

Is it possible I upload a double sided mesh? Before blender 2.80, they had this option, couldnt find it in 2.80. Not sure if this option works for SL.

Any help is welcome :)

It isn't the double sided that is making the uploader "lock" those levels. You have some other issues as I have uploaded double sided often. You need to UNWRAP your mesh of course. Did you do that?  AFAIK the uploader hasn't change at all -- like in forever.  

What I found useful is the Solidify modifier for making double-sided mesh (its also useful for instead of duplicating and flipping normals and then joining...). But yes, as above, you have to make a 'seam' and unwrap it so the UV lays correctly.

But for making double-sided mesh where you have opposing normals, just use the solidifier modifier. Waaay easier than the whole duplicating and flipping normals and then joining them. You can also change the width/thickness in the solidifier adjustment before applying.

4 hours ago, Muiregwen said:

What I found useful is the Solidify modifier for making double-sided mesh

If you use that method, remember to delete the edges or you end up with a lot of wasted vertices and triangles.

4 hours ago, Muiregwen said:

Waaay easier than the whole duplicating and flipping normals and then joining them.

It's not that difficult: Shift+D to duplicate, Ctrl+F to open Faces submenu, select "Flip Normals". Job done.

Regardless of which method you use, do not join vertices! It can cause some annoying problems in Blender and even if it doesn't, the vertices are split again by the uploader so there's no point. (The only exception is if you want smooth normals between the two sides but that's not what you usually want for double sided mesh.)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.