Movin part inside a fixed part

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

(sorry, I'm not English mothertongue, so maybe my language is not perfect)

below is a description of what I would like to do, what I did, and where I can't go on, on which I humbly ask for help from those who are more experienced than me.

I'm building a mechanical apparatus (like an industrial machine) made up of two parts (actually every part is a set of linked prims): Part A, it is a fixed framework that acts as an external skeleton and support to the machine; Part B, is a mobile part that moves back and forth with only translation moving inside the frame.
I created Part B, adding a simple LSL script that simulates an oscillator that goes back and forth with constant speed. So far, so good.
When I integrated the two pieces, linking Part A and Part B between them, Part A, which should remain fixed, started to move solidly to Part B, which is not what I wanted ... I wanted Part A fixed and Part B flowing inside him.
The "trivial" solution would obviously be to not link the 2 parts between them, but this poses a difficulty: if tomorrow I transfer the apparatus to someone (I do not say sell it, but also only as a gift), this someone must rezzare the two separate pieces and then place the moving part at the right coordinates within the frame. So it would be much more convenient to have it rezzed as a unique object.
The question is: is there any way to do this? A single object with fixed Part A and mobile Part A, without both moving? If not, how can I make sure that it is still rezzed by someone who does not understand coordinates and positioning of prims, so with each piece already in the right position?
Thanks for the patience of having read me this far, and thank you from now for any replies!

the easiest way for users with multipart objects is to put them in to a rezzer box.  They rez the rezzer box, touch the box to get the menu. Press 'Rez' on the menu which will rez the objects. When they move the rezzer box it will move the rezzed objects relative to each other. When they have your objects positioned  then they press 'Finish" on the rezzer box menu

there are a quite few rezzer boxes that can be found, some on Marketplace and some rezzer box scripts can be found using google search

Edited by Mollymews
menu
46 minutes ago, VirgyStella said:

The question is: is there any way to do this? A single object with fixed Part A and mobile Part A, without both moving? If not, how can I make sure that it is still rezzed by someone who does not understand coordinates and positioning of prims, so with each piece already in the right position?

There's two ways to do it.

1. You combine the two linksets, then change the script so that it moves a list of specific prims. This method has some problems like if you link something new to the linkset, the order of the links will change and the moving part will break, unless you name all the moving links something specific and your script searches for which parts should be moving.

2. You keep the two linksets separate, but both linksets have a script that communicate with each other so that the moving part can align itself correctly with the static part, even if the static part is moved later. This is the worse option because it requires two scripts and two listens.

The reason why it didn't work how you wanted is because the script doesn't know which links belonged to which linksets before they were combined.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.