Suggestions for Nvidia control panel settings?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As the title says - looking for current 2019 Nvidia control panel suggestions/tweaks under Manage 3D Settings/Program Settings.. firestorm**

There are alot floating around and alot from old posts, but looking for tweaks that are known to work, I have made a few .. Ill post my system specs below. All my drivers are up to date... I am also on 100Mbs download speed and wired LAN connection

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (3672.26 MHz)
Memory: 32710 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18363.476)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.4141
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 441.41

Edited by Jackson Redstar

12 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

What tweaks have you found to make a difference?

I guess thats my point - i have no idea what works and what doesn't. It's like a shot in the dark. Be nice if some on team linden or team firestorm who understood how these things work together could give guidance ....

22 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

There are alot floating around and alot from old posts, but looking for tweaks that are known to work, I have made a few

And lots are make-believe, snake oil, mystery or utter crap ... chances are that a single badly "optimized" sim will waste any mediocre tuning effect you might have scored with driver tuning settings.

What effects are you trying to achieve? 

I would rather suggest to fiddle with the viewer settings and save a couple of graphical presets for various scenarios. You can quickly switch between those inside the viewer, thus jump from a "lowered details for crowded event" to "everyday pretty looking" to "all bells and whistles for close-up portraits". 

3 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I guess thats my point - i have no idea what works and what doesn't. It's like a shot in the dark. Be nice if some on team linden or team firestorm who understood how these things work together could give guidance ....

I can’t tell they do anything. The things I change that consistently make a significant difference and are worth changing are shadows, advanced lighting and overclocking the video card. Draw distance and atmospheric shaders will, but IMO atmospheric shaders and a 128M draw distance are the minimum standards a video card in a desktop PC should be capable of.

for wedding video then we would typically want to prefer texture quality over performance

the main way to achieve this as best we can, is to reduce texture blurring/thrashing by setting the TPV  Graphics Texture Memory slider more higher rather than lower

NVidia Manage 3D settings then probably only: Texture filtering - Quality:  High Quality

the difference tho between Quality and High Quality is really only discernible when the frames are examined side by side

On 12/7/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

As the title says - looking for current 2019 Nvidia control panel suggestions/tweaks under Manage 3D Settings/Program Settings.. firestorm**

I use Power Management:   Prefer Maximum Performance and Triple Buffering: On - all other values the default ones in the control panel. I get excellent frames per second, of course depending on surroundings and not least number of avatars around.

I think poking around the Nvidia control panel to get significant performance gains is mostly a waste of time. Doubly so with a system that looks like it's probably more CPU bound rather than GPU bound. The first thing I'd do is install MSI Afterburner and put stats for the GPU use, CPU use for all cores and frame times in the on screen display. Then I'd go into Firestorm's graphics settings and see what I could do there to improve performance. Then maybe use the debug settings page to see what else looks like it would be a good idea to mess around with. 

all these gamers would cry coming into SL runnung at ultra on a sim loaded with mesh and alphas with 40 mesh avis moving about LOL

When i record video with 'everything on' I usualy keep the task manager and either afterburner or system monitor open on the other screen looking at loads and CPU and GPU temps. Sometimes the GPU is taking up the load, sometimes the CPU is doing more work, but never seen the the CPU get past like 60%, GPU sometimes may hit 100% but not often or for long

I am experimenting on the nvidia panel leaving the 'visual enhancement' features  to application control and only turning on performance functions - really dont seem make any difference either way really in terms of on world FPS numbers

Edited by Jackson Redstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.