Underwhelmed by the Reveal Homes

Mrs Sassypants

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I do feel, personally, that the Victorian themed houses are too similar to the Traditional themed houses.

They really are, i think so anyway

6 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Between the Traditional and Victorian theme - they could all easily come out of the same 'rezzer mailbox' and be side by side on a sim and not 'break theme'. It is basically 'houses without porches' vs. 'houses with porches'.

This is pretty much what i was trying to say in my OP - i feel exactly the same

3 minutes ago, Elyeah said:

if you call someone's home 'an average, everyday chintzy house', you aren't being complimentary.

I didn't realise i was meant to be complimentary when i am expressing how disappointed i was by the new style. However, it's noted for future reference. What i said was purely meant as an observation based upon the style of the homes in regards to that style of decor - nothing more, nothing less. If you're reading more into that, then thats on you. Not me. 

6 minutes ago, Elyeah said:

Stop being disingenuous. You meant it as a slight against the new style of homes and that is what you were pulled up for.

As i said previously, i meant it as an observation based upon the style of the homes. Simple as that. A slight against them ? No. Calling something average, isn't an insult i don't think when that is how i see something and in this case, the new homes were nothing more outstanding than what we already have - thus making them, imho, average. If the term 'average' insults you, then sorrynotsorry. Feel free to 'pull me up' for that too :)

17 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

They are nice - but are they distinct enough?

exactly, they are nice .. but same old same old, too similar to the tradtional theme imho

18 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Meadowbrook and Tahoe are the two that most resemble each other - and that is quite an imagination stretch for me to say even that. Basically, all they have in common is 'modern designs'. Elderglen is fantasy-faerie and Shareta is medieval Japan. Radical departures. Basically... on the old homes, all four themes had more 'distance' between them than Traditional and Victorian have.

that, right there - it would have been awesome to have seen a new theme that was catered for people who enjoy other genre's of SL - ie: medieval/fantasy/fae/wildwest/ .. etc. 

20 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

But I also wish we had gotten something that was ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> way over here instead.

or even just a little bit over there, not a near replica of what is already out there :)

1 minute ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

I didn't realise i was meant to be complimentary when i am expressing how disappointed i was by the new style. However, it's noted for future reference. What i said was purely meant as an observation based upon the style of the homes in regards to that style of decor - nothing more, nothing less. If you're reading more into that, then thats on you. Not me. 

As i said previously, i meant it as an observation based upon the style of the homes. Simple as that. A slight against them ? No. Calling something average, isn't an insult i don't think when that is how i see something and in this case, the new homes were nothing more outstanding than what we already have - thus making them, imho, average. If the term 'average' insults you, then sorrynotsorry. Feel free to 'pull me up' for that too :)

I never said you insulted me nor would I care very much if you did. I mentioned you were being disingenuous when you claimed you were not being derogatory by using the term 'average, everyday chintzy' but in fact were merely referring to patterns which originated in India. I see it's a trait with you though. Probably a cultural thing. Carry on.

I think LL is showing a lot of responsiveness to user feedback on the wildly popular Traditional homes.  Bigger rooms, Victorian details, porches, interior wall paint ... these are all concrete user wishes, as evidenced by the addons they install.  It is nice to not have to spend prims getting these things!

I haven't seen as coherent feedback about new, different themes.  A few people want cabins.  A few other people want retro-space, ala "Jetsons".  A few want Star Trek.  A few want some sort of waterworld theme.  I think if people want a real departure in theme, then start new threads about the new themes you want,  try to convert existing homes into what you want with addons, let LL SEE people demanding and actually working toward new themes.

For instance, if a lot of people want mer and waterworld environments, shouldn't there be more houseboats whose builds are completely underwater?

Is anyone marketing a log cabin exterior add-on for a camper?

I remember Beth posted an absolutely gorgeous pic of a mediterranean home build onto a cliff.  Oh Yaaaas!  I may dig that up and start a thread about how one could do a LH coastline in that style.

LL's shown responsiveness.  If we want newness, we should show it to them.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I personally really like the new victorian homes. And what I like even better is how they show how LL is trying to listen to what people want. We wanted porches, more rooms, more colour options (we buy them en masse) and that is exactly what they gave us. You can now have that home with a porch, more rooms, more colour options without spending the extra L$ or land impact. Also your 'additions' now have well made LODs and matching doors and windows. So no it's not a radically different style, but a great addition to the Linden Home options. I am personally very curious about how the actual regions will look upon release. It's not just the homes that make the new style but also the surroundings and landscaping, and they looked gorgeous on the preview!

• Like 7

Getting past the chintzy discussion, I do somewhat agree with the OP in that the Victorian homes are not really that much different from the Traditionals.  However, many people have asked repeatedly for a Victorian look and even more have requested homes with more rooms, more open rooms, etc...  LL has shown, over and over, during the past 9 months or so that they do read the discussions here in the forums about the Linden Homes.  So, as Nika mentioned, I've no doubt that some of the Victorian design elements came from the forum discussions.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Getting past the chintzy discussion

lol finally, thank you ❤️ 

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I do somewhat agree with the OP in that the Victorian homes are not really that much different from the Traditionals.

:)

i hope they read this tiny thread then and maybe take something positive from it 

• Like 1

Indeed, they have listened to what a lot of people are looking for and responded. Seems like good business practice to me. They will, I am sure be looking out for ideas of what the demands from people will be in the future and hopefully they will respond again. If an idea is popular, I am sure they will.

1 hour ago, Dreamy Lebed said:

I am probably going to get roasted for what i'm about to say but i'll say it anyway. Having visited the new reveal sim, i'm slightly disappointed to say the least on the latest genre of LL homes that will become available shortly. Victorian ? They just look the same as the traditional homes that are available now but with modded add-on's. The size of the homes is also an issue i think, given that they are quite large for the prim allowance allocated, thus making it seem emptier. 

I was really pumped and excited to think that a completely new theme would be introduced - like the trailers, but i'm sadly disheartened to see the 'new' style. It would have been nice to have had something different - maybe an urban theme - manhattan brownstone houses come to mind, in a urban setting .. less 'surburbian'. Feel like a community, block parties, etc warehouse conversions .. just not your average, everyday chintzy houses. LL could have transitioned from the suburbs into the 'city', easily.

Oh well, here's hoping for the next new theme, one can only hope it's entirely new this next time and not one that feels like a rehash of whats already available

I'm not really here to roast anyone but I want to say that I can see how your term might have offended someone, since you were using the word as an adjective to describe a home...not wallpaper, pottery or fabric.  And I wanted to add that your description called to mention your thought was Manhattan brownstones, which is New York area therefore a reference to the USA.  Not to mention the fact that you knew immediately before saying what you did publicly that you might get a negative response.  I think your first sentence kind of set the tone and invited an opposition vs insight other like minded individuals.  Some people are very passionate about this project and you have to take that into consideration.  Linden Labs are actually taking an initiative to grow and make Second Life sustainable and give a better consumer experience and for one I am extremely grateful for that and all the hard work put into this project.  Regardless of my preference of homes.  

I personally think the new homes are fabulous, the gardens are super lovely.  I would rather not use prims to add a wrap around porch but instead use those prims for decor.  I also have a large family and am using 53 prims in just add-ons for extra rooms so the larger homes are a nice option.  I think the new homes will accommodate and excite quite a few people. 

Also keep in mind, there are options for you to have a warehouse conversion or city life in other sims and communities so it's not like you are completely cut off from having and loving your SL experience.  You could always just use your premium account for a vacation experience instead of your everyday home.  There are lots of ideas.  But at the end of the day you are entitled to your opinion and we don't know if there will be future releases or what will be in store but I hope you get something that excites you and makes you happy.  :)    

• Like 4

The Victorian houses look very nice to me. The landscaping is really excellent too. Pretty good job again from the Moles! ❤️

Anyway I was hoping that the Victorian houses would have looked a lot more different from the traditional houses than they do now. I have traditional house in perfect location by the inland sea. Giving that up and getting Victorian (possibly not in so great location) is scary. Maybe I can convince my alt to give up her houseboat and get Victorian house? 😜 😉  Well, then I would be stuck with two similar kind of houses. Aargghh... :/xD

Perfect solution for me would be to have Victorian house in my present traditional house parcel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

you were using the word as an adjective to describe a home...not wallpaper, pottery or fabric.

again, it was used to describe a style of decor that correlates with that style of home. I did state this already but i'm happy to re - iterate it. 

3 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

Manhattan brownstones, which is New York area therefore a reference to the USA. 

Again, a description of a style of home that is seen in this area of the USA, not sure what you're implying with this. 

4 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

you knew immediately before saying what you did publicly that you might get a negative response.

absolutely and i don't have a problem with debating the issue that i raised. I'm intelligent and literate enough to be able to do that. However, i do have a problem with people nitpicking words that have different meanings based upon where you are living in the world and i have a problem with people being personally rude and insulting towards me for using them too. 

6 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

I think your first sentence kind of set the tone and invited an opposition vs insight other like minded individuals

I hoped it would, absolutely. Forum debates are fun and interesting. It didn't invite individuals to insult me or be rude towards me on a personal level though. I wasn't rude to anyone in my OP. 

8 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

Some people are very passionate about this project and you have to take that into consideration.

I understand that there are passionate feelings regarding the project but again, that doesn't give people the right to nitpick, judge, insult or be rude towards me because of an opinion that was not expressed personally towards them. I don't have to and shouldn't have to take those into consideration in my OP. 

10 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

I think the new homes will accommodate and excite quite a few people. 

Oh totally, yourself included and thats great ! For my own feelings though .. i'm underwhelmed by it. Simple as that. 

11 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

You could always just use your premium account for a vacation experience instead of your everyday home.

i already do :) 

12 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

at the end of the day you are entitled to your opinion

this thread makes me wonder haha, thanks though :)

12 minutes ago, Butterfli Summers said:

I hope you get something that excites you and makes you happy. 

In the future, i hope so too. For now though, i'll happily sit on my tradtional and keep my other premium account free for the next theme. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coby Foden said:

Maybe I can convince my alt to give up her houseboat and get Victorian house? 😜 😉  Well, then I would be stuck with two similar kind of houses. Aargghh... :/xD

Hahaha i had this dilemma - which do i give up .. trailer or tradtional .. as much as i loved the trailer, it had to go. Decisions Decisions lol 

4 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Anyway I was hoping that the Victorian houses would have looked a lot more different from the traditional houses than they do now. I have traditional house in perfect location by the inland sea. Giving that up and getting Victorian (possibly not in so great location) is scary. Maybe I can convince my alt to give up her houseboat and get Victorian house? 😜 😉  Well, then I would be stuck with two similar kind of houses. Aargghh... :/xD

Perfect solution for me would be to have Victorian house in my present traditional house parcel.

This ^^  

My Traditional is in a fairly isolated spot, which is ideal for me.  Southern Belli doesn't have any mountain regions that could offer me the same seclusion.

I have considered going ahead and picking one up for a short period - just to decorate a bit and see what I think of them once they are truly live.

I was wondering if these. houses are partly  a result of feedback on the Traditionals. For example, the increased size overall. The fact that so many people in the Traditionals have put up add-ons even  Even Victorian version of the one story is a lot larger and has more rooms. I also think it's not a bad idea for Linden Labs to have their first several themes be styles that would be more popular. As a business, they're got to balance the creative urge with pleasing the highest number of customers (and attracting new premium members if possible). I know that there are people out there looking for something more interesting and exotic, and. hopefully more themes will continue to be released.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Trinity1776 said:

I was wondering if these. houses are partly  a result of feedback on the Traditionals. For example, the increased size overall.

pretty much yes.  Lots of people on this forums and in the inworld groups asked for bigger houses when the Traditionals were introduced

One thing for sure, when these get released it should open up all home type availability. People who have been desperately waiting for a new Linden Home will get one soon.

I do think these should have been released instead of the first version trads and the slot open for a different style completely like cabins 😉

• Like 1

First of I am glad everyone is able to use google translate 😂And second she dint insult anyone its an opinion. I don't think the theme changed much as well. Different theme would have been a medieval or Urban or for all I care Unicorn paradise but some addons isn't a new theme they are just some addons :) Its just a comment on the theme.  And perhaps you can all consider we are not all from too USA so some words have a different meaning even when you google it in urban dictionary 🤣 And talking about rude some of the reaction towards her I find rude, so don't let me get started about rude or not nice. 😘

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.