The New Belli Victorians

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Moles
1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

giphy.gif.5b98edb2bf86f8b386179b887cf89b93.gif

I freaking love Jo Swinson.

You'll be disappointed to hear, then, that she lost her seat in parliament on Thursday, when she was defeated in East Dunbartonshire by the SNP candidate, Amy Callaghan

Nicola Sturgeon, the leader of the SNP, seemed rather pleased about the result:

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

You'll be disappointed to hear, then, that she lost her seat in parliament on Thursday, when she was defeated in East Dunbartonshire by the SNP candidate, Amy Callaghan

Nicola Sturgeon, the leader of the SNP, seemed rather pleased about the result:

I like Nicola Sturgeon, but she did rather resemble Wee Jimmy Krankie when she did her little victory dance.

• Haha 3

I'm sure it's a peaceful, bucolic spot... lovely family picnics on weekends. Until the snorkelers dive a little too deep and discover Hast...I mean, disturb the fragile eco system beneath the lake's placid surface.

Edited by Kitten Kaos
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Draggon Crystal said:

should i abandon and keep trying to get now or ??? lol 

You could do that and spend Christmas hitting the refresh button but the minute you nip out to the shops for  a turkey ready meal, that's when the release will happen xD

Seriously I think we will get some notice.

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:41 PM, Chic Aeon said:

I can't believe there isn't a post on this yet, so I will start one.  

You can visit the new "reveal" build here:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Linden Reveal/115/157/22

Four styles with interior room changing colors. Some GORGEOUS landscaping. And yes, those funny doughnut shapes on the map were cobblestone streets. 

I took photos for those at work (LOL) who just can't wait. You can find them here.   

This should be really fun to watch.  

These are more spacious than the first round of Belli houses, that's for sure, and when people see them, maybe they can concede that. I wonder if we will see people fleeing from their first Belli  homes to these because they have more space and the landscaping is nicer.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:58 AM, ChinRey said:

It's not Georgian either.

But maybe we should stop this digression here because it doesn't really matter. Those houses are made in an all American style that stands well on its own. They don't need to borrow feathers or names from a different style from a different culture.

I only wanted to point out that since the houses themselves aren't based on architecture from the time and nation Queen Victoria regined, there's no reason why the names should be.

I lived in several houses just like these in upstate New York as a child. Here's one of our houses, below.

The style of those particular Victorian houses in those small towns is often the one called "Queen Anne". (It has nothing to do with the actual era of the reign of the British Queen Anne but indeed copies European styles and arguably doesn't "stand alone" as much as you think). The porch was a vital institution for such small towns. Everyone used to sit out on the porches every evening and "visit", as the expression was, a verb that meant not just going to see someone but then chatting with them. You had to run the gauntlet of all kinds of old ladies who sat out on the porches all day and minded your business for you. But the porch was a good solution for keeping up with people that you might not want to invite into your home as such or feed supper to, but still wanted to associate with for neighbourly reasons or business reasons. Like Second Life.

Or these houses can be the style called Eastlake or even Greek Revival on the Main Street. But it strikes me the Lindens mainly used the Queen Annes for models.

If you use Google Maps to walk around Penn Yan, where a lot of these houses can be seen, you will feel as if you are in the new Bellisseria, truly, especially up and down Main Street. They were single-family dwellings in the 19th century but multi-family rentals for working class and poor in the 20th -- you will see how they have now been restored and re-painted by wealthy doctors and lawyers who have purchased them often as summer homes (the famous Finger Lakes are nearby).

I would say that they are not as ornate as the ones I am seeing here referenced from Great Britain. There may be practical reasons for this but these are towns on rivers and the Erie Canal with lumber where getting construction materials weren't an issue as much as other areas. But the severe winters with heavy snowfalls and muggy summers might make ornate wood trim become a problem.

And yes, the Lindens used real-life houses and it's more than fine to compare them to RL houses. They are going for a certain type of nostalgia of small town America that isn't the sprawling "Little Boxes" suburbia but different, more "community" oriented. Fantasy houses are what they made around the hub called Elder Glen. I don't see that they would go for a "fantasy" Victorian, and if they did, it would be more Gothic, which also has a fan base in SL.

I could note in RL these houses often had carriage houses in the back and I see Barnesworth Anubis has a carriage house on offer which is very similar to the RL ones that went with such houses.

@Chin Rey re: "Yes but if you want to go that much into detail, the houses aren't victorian either - not in the British/European meaning of the word that is. It's an all American 19th century colonial style so if they wanted names that mathced  the style precisely, they would have gone for American, not European autghors."

In fact, they *are* called Victorian in the US and that's why the Lindens, who are headquartered in the US, used the term. Words can change their meaning and connotation when they cross the ocean even with English. They are Victorian, not Colonial, which is a very distinct time and style in the US, and not this one. This is the term used about them in the US. Look at the Zillow ads and such for example by Googling and you'll see that is indeed the term used.

303 Clinton.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva

28 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

@Chin Rey re: "Yes but if you want to go that much into detail, the houses aren't victorian either - not in the British/European meaning of the word that is. It's an all American 19th century colonial style so if they wanted names that mathced  the style precisely, they would have gone for American, not European autghors."

In fact, they *are* called Victorian in the US and that's why the Lindens, who are headquartered in the US, used the term.

Yes but please note that I specifically said they weren't Victorian in the European meaning of the word. I'm perfectly aware there is a similar US style that goes by the same name.

Also, note that I did in no way criticize the houses or their styles. Somebody commented (probably more as a joke than as a complaint) that the name of one of the houses didn't really fit since it's named after an author who lived before the Victorian time. I only pointed out that if that was the case, so were the other houses since they are distinctively American whilst the authors they are named after were all Eruopean.

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

These are more spacious than the first round of Belli houses, that's for sure, and when people see them, maybe they can concede that. I wonder if we will see people fleeing from their first Belli  homes to these because they have more space and the landscaping is nicer.

I am sure that some will be moving AND already have. But just like the original traditionals (not so much the later region stylings ) there are some sims that are very pretty and others that are very very boring with little landscaping at all and NOT welcoming. Hence I suspect that was all the releasing of homes just by regular folks -- not the catch and release (find my perfect spot) crowd.    And the server went down down down :D.

They are definitely bigger with the Hardy the biggest I think and could be difficult to furnish in a semblance of Victorian style (that prim and space to fill ratio).  The plants inside the mailbox are very nice and 1 or 2 li depending on size. The hydrangeas are the best "value" I think design wise.  

The only thing that I don't like about the Victorians is the exterior siding. So not the tones that I think of with Victorians and too much like the Tradtionals. My friend with a Vic isn't thrilled with the siding either but I am not sure I am willing to make an exterior shell even for her LOL. The Hardy wouldn't have been so difficult but she is now in the one with the round turret and after dealing with the unroundness of the trailer interior I am not sure I am willing to go there. I guess as a  'long time BFF"  I should at least try. If I can get the round part the other is certainly doable IF NOT FUN AT ALL. 

The good thing really is that the houses do have a big footprint so that there is less landscaping involved.  Will see what she (and perhaps another friend that doesn't make mesh) wants -- but definitely not as much "need" for add-ons as with the tradtionals. In my book anyway.  

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

definitely not as much "need" for add-ons as with the tradtionals. In my book anyway.  

I don't believe any of these have a 2nd floor balcony.  With the Shelley (round turret one?) perhaps a widow's walk (TP to it) over the flatter part of the roof?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

I wasn't even paying attention today, but my fella managed snagged one for us. @Blush Bravin, are you excited to live next door to the Chintzy Lady?! 😋

Are you Debi's neighbor? If you saw Blush running around trying to grab a Victorian, she didn't keep it. Debi has the keeper. I've not done anything much with the inside of mine yet. But I have dressed up the front yard some and added some brick to the facade to break up the color some.

1722408526_myvic_001.thumb.jpg.9513e576223879efd38b6fbc2b623a01.jpg

I really didn't want a driveway but decided to make the best of it since I'm so near the shore. I used the surprisingly low LI Victorian brick fencing in the content pack to finish off the little driveway area. I mixed some tropical plants of my own with a few flowers from the content pack matching the ones used in front of my house. I'm loving the overgrown garden in front of my home. Oh and it's the beach so of course I had to have palm trees!

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.