The New Belli Victorians

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I don't understand the apparent obsession of comparing the new "Theme #4" Linden Homes (We don't know what they'll officially call it yet)...

Inspecting the houses inworld at Linden Reveal region shows their names to be:

LH - Victorian - The Doyle v1.0
LH - Victorian - The Hardy v1.0
LH - Victorian - The Shelley v1.0
LH - Victorian - The Verne v1.0

So there is a good chance that this fourth theme will be called "Victorian" officially.

• Thanks 3

I'm surprised to see those homes referred to as "Southern Victorian" homes. Every small to mid-sized town where I have lived in the Midwest for the past 40 years has had a core of homes like these.  It's a common style across the country from Ohio to Illinois to the high plains. You can find them in almost any town in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Here's photo of one in the town I live in now:

11ded73a618a17ba9603603c09c00afe.png

That could be the Verne, or its close cousin.This being the heartland, we don;t typically go in for a lot of gaudy colors, but it's not uncommon to see pastel tones of beige, green, blue, and rose on some of the gingerbread trim and window/door frames.  Wrap-around porches are very common.  There's nothing "southern" about these homes.  They were built by late 19th Century businessmen and professionals with big families and some disposable income to put into a fine home..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm surprised to see those homes referred to as "Southern Victorian" homes. Every small to mid-sized town where I have lived in the Midwest for the past 40 years has had a core of homes like these.  It's a common style across the country from Ohio to Illinois to the high plains. You can find them in almost any town in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Here's photo of one in the town I live in now:

That could be the Verne, or its close cousin...They were built by late 19th Century businessmen and professionals with big families and some disposable income to put into a fine home..

Yep, this American take on a Queen Anne Victorian is all over the states.  I almost bought one in the Northeast (dodged a bullet that time lol), they're here on the west coast, they're everywhere.  Turret, wraparound porch, deep window seats, fancy shingling, nice interior details, graciously sized rooms, and all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm surprised to see those homes referred to as "Southern Victorian" homes.

This is getting interesting. As I said in an earlier post, I associated this style with mid-to-south east coast USA and was surprised to see it was common on the west coast at all. But I'm not American of course so I don't have first hand knowledge of the American style.

I have to take back the "Virginian style" proposal then. We can't let one state take all the credit for it of course. ;)

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here in Pennsylvania (NE USA) "Victorian styles" are everywhere. In towns, they're often rowhomes, similar to those in San Francisco. There are plenty of freestanding ones though, such as this one in Williamsport. The ones here are brick (often painted) or wood, many with gingerbread details. I know of one painted plum purple and another done in shades of pea green and mustard. (Image search Millionaire's Row for some high-end examples.)

ae2ce60954f1c6cff6c607c06e0c7ebdl-m0xd-w

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That could be the Verne, or its close cousin.This being the heartland, we don;t typically go in for a lot of gaudy colors, but it's not uncommon to see pastel tones of beige, green, blue, and rose on some of the gingerbread trim and window/door frames.  Wrap-around porches are very common.  There's nothing "southern" about these homes.  They were built by late 19th Century businessmen and professionals with big families and some disposable income to put into a fine home..

Could very well not be southern, but I see them as southern due to the willows. Willows are all over the place in some of the southern states.

Victorian houses are everywhere indeed. Lots in the larger town/village 15 mins away from me. Only very rarely ever seen a willow in NY, though.

Edited by s2Pandora

When I said Southern Victorian I did so because That is the style I see all the time because I am in the south. I posted my own opinion as to what the new homes look like to me. YES they are all over not just here in the states. With that said I think that some of the comments here have been taken out of context, lost in translation or even taken the wrong way because some of us want to get the one up. (This is your queue to lash out at me now). NOW with that said I think the way some of us are acting  on in the forums  is nothing more than a bunch of  male bovine fecal matter  Just my opinion again.

• Confused 1

I think most people interpret the word "victorian" through the filter of their own experience of victorian houses. I live in London, so for me, victorian looks like this:

36978_102474000448_4caa9d119e3d41a79cd9f6ae988fd3db.jpg

(there are less elaborate versions...)

My first thought when I saw the pictures was - ooooh, San francisco houses!

Bet somebody living in San Francisco might beg to differ...

Edited by Arquet
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, jellybeangirl101 said:

NOW with that said I think the way some of us are acting  on in the forums  is nothing more than a bunch of  male bovine fecal matter

That may mean it's close. After all, bull***t and bullseye are just two sides of the same bull. :P

• Haha 3

On 12/6/2019 at 9:05 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Darcy, yes, and maybe Rumpole Abbey.  And Blandings Haven (although that was a movie). But Mynachllwyd

Mynachllwyd is indeed Welsh; it means "Grey Monk" (Llwyd = Grey, Mynach = Monk).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to illustrate the diversity, I put here an image captured on google that is a block from my house RL, I live in a city called Belém do Pará in the Amazon in Brazil, is a city with 404 years of foundation and like most cities with more than 2 million inhabitants has all the ills of today's society. These houses were common on this avenue until the late nineteenth century. They could be called Victorian!palacetes.thumb.jpg.a2623cfef4740a8169098364669aaefe.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I'm surprised to see those homes referred to as "Southern Victorian" homes. Every small to mid-sized town where I have lived in the Midwest for the past 40 years has had a core of homes like these.  It's a common style across the country from Ohio to Illinois to the high plains.

It makes sense to me given my own confusion over them. Linden Lab, like myself; is from/in San Francisco where a Victorian looks radically different from what we got. However am told Patch Linden is in Atlanta - which has Victorians like the ones we got.

And when you tour the reveal sim, it's littered with plants that resemble those of the South.

Anyone lacking a reference for this kind of Victorian is going to see those plants, see that the lead dev on the team making them is from the South, and just make an assumption that that is where the style is from. Even more so if you're from a place famous for it's Victorian Homes - that look nothing like these. ;)

33 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Anyone lacking a reference for this kind of Victorian is going to see those plants, see that the lead dev on the team making them is from the South, and just make an assumption that that is where the style is from. Even more so if you're from a place famous for it's Victorian Homes - that look nothing like these. ;)

I suppose, but those Victorians look very much the same as ones in the north central midwest too, where we also have willows and hydrangeas.  I have spent almost no time in Georgia, so my point of reference is what I see around me.  These houses say "Midwest" to me.

• Like 1

WTH.......they are beautiful and Roomy....LL and the moles have listened to what we like and want and they are giving it to us......who cares if it doesn't look like Grandma's, from the mid west, house or any other Victorian house. It's SL....can't it be inspired by a certain style without needing to copy every brick IRL? I can't believe how much negativity these houses are generating. I personally love them and the environment they will exist in. If you don't like'em then don't get'em...... Geeze Louise

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

What negativity?  I'm hearing a pretty resounding YAHOO here.

Agreed.

I see no negativity.

We're just discussing nomenclature.

Calling them Southern began here and not from the Lindens. Just a matter of the impressions of us who saw them and made the first set of posts based on our impressions which themselves are formed by our experiences. Nothing more than that.

• Like 4

My curiosity was peaked when someone mentioned that Weeping Willows are typically found in the south. So google being my friend I decided to investigate where the Weeping Willow comes from and what is its natural habitat. I was surprised by what I found.

5d62971f1926c3ab6a6099c2792ccb96.png

I never ever suspected they came from China!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.