The New Belli Victorians

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Alumna Cornell said:

Here are screengrabs of the map with the new region names. (I posted these in another topic thread but thought it worth re-posting them here.) 

VictorianMap1.JPG

VictorianMap2.JPG

Umm I see lots of possible references to Jane Austin novels; Darcy, Elizabeth Bennett, Elinor Dashwood, William Collins etc plus  didn't Kiera Knightly star in pride and prejudice? Think I may be making connections now just for the sake of it. 😃

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Elyeah said:

Umm I see lots of possible references to Jane Austin novels; Darcy, Elizabeth Bennett, Elinor Dashwood, William Collins etc plus  didn't Kiera Knightly star in pride and prejudice? Think I may be making connections now just for the sake of it. 😃

Except that the Moles are, technically, mistaken: Jane Austen wrote and died before the Victorian era began.  (And a couple of Knightley's feature in her book, Emma.) There's at least one character of Sir Walter Scott's (Ivanhoe) and one from Dickens (Dombey).

Edited by Alumna Cornell
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Alumna Cornell said:

Except that the Moles are, technically, mistaken: Jane Austen wrote and died before the Victorian era began.  (And a couple of Knightley's feature in her book, Emma.) There's at least one character of Sir Walter Scott's (Ivanhoe) and one from Dickens (Dombey).

Yes, I thought they were making reference to William Blake as well and he wasn't of the Victorian era either. Perhaps they are just fond of classic literature and named the regions from that. The house names though are all Victorian writers I think.

• Like 1

I finally had a chance to really take a good look at the new Victorians. I really didn't have any plans to get one, but now... I must have one. It's a good thing premium memberships are on sale right now... lol. 

@Patch Linden, Imma need you to release these tout suite so I can create my Victorian brothel! For show only, I promise. No Lindens shall change hands. Pinky-swear, even. 

I think I'll call it the Chintzy Lady. 

0_lh9LEWpT9oasQE8W.thumb.jpg.27efdcfbc433a1e7289f9955b647151c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

19 hours ago, Alumna Cornell said:

Yes but if you want to go that much into detail, the houses aren't victorian either - not in the British/European meaning of the word that is. It's an all American 19th century colonial style so if they wanted names that mathced  the style precisely, they would have gone for American, not European autghors.

21 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes but if you want to go that much into detail, the houses aren't victorian either - not in the British/European meaning of the word that is. It's an all American 19th century colonial style so if they wanted names that mathced  the style precisely, they would have gone for American, not European autghors.

19th century American Colonial architecture follows more of a Georgian style than Victorian. I'm wondering if perhaps they were thinking about popular literature of the time and not necessarily when the books were written.

af9114ac431a5e1447304ccb49158bc6.png

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

19th century American Colonial architecture follows more of a Georgian style than Victorian.

It's not Georgian either.

But maybe we should stop this digression here because it doesn't really matter. Those houses are made in an all American style that stands well on its own. They don't need to borrow feathers or names from a different style from a different culture.

I only wanted to point out that since the houses themselves aren't based on architecture from the time and nation Queen Victoria regined, there's no reason why the names should be.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

I finally had a chance to really take a good look at the new Victorians. I really didn't have any plans to get one, but now... I must have one. It's a good thing premium memberships are on sale right now... lol. 

@Patch Linden, Imma need you to release these tout suite so I can create my Victorian brothel! For show only, I promise. No Lindens shall change hands. Pinky-swear, even. 

I think I'll call it the Chintzy Lady. 

0_lh9LEWpT9oasQE8W.thumb.jpg.27efdcfbc433a1e7289f9955b647151c.jpg

Oh you tease Beth! A raise of the hem only for the ankle to be covered in an ankleboot :P

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Correction; "SoBel Homes" (aka South Bellisseria).

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! 😅

But still spot on! ^_^

Two names jumped into my mind the moment I saw the pictures of those houses: Virginia and Maryland. Maybe we should call it "Virginian style"? (I suppose "Maryan style" is out of question.)

• Like 1

Here's a website from the UK and a picture of a Victorian in Britain. I fail to see how there's much of a difference in style between the new Linden Homes Victorian and this picture except for more ornamentation. https://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/buying_a_victorian_property/ . I suppose they could have added more ornamentation but then there goes the LI count. 

victorian-house.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Here's a website from the UK and a picture of a Victorian in Britain. I fail to see how there's much of a difference in style between the new Linden Homes Victorian and this picture except for more ornamentation.

Do I have to reply?

I'd rather not, partly because I think it's a bit of digression but mostly because any answer can easily be misinterpreted as a criticism of the new Beli style.

Edited by ChinRey

16 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Here's a website from the UK and a picture of a Victorian in Britain

Timber houses aren't very common in Britain,  most houses are made of brick. (not many look like this though!)

edit: I added a simpler example from a place not that far away from me in the UK

victorian_house_with_spaceship_1.jpg84755_200719304_IMG_00.jpg

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
extra example
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Timber houses aren't very common in Britain

Victorian is a style of architecture. It's features were adopted in many countries and adapted to the materials easily obtained in those areas. But to suggest that the style should be called Virginian rather than Victorian seems to deny the origins of the style. 

14 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

but mostly because any answer can easily be misinterpreted as a criticism of the new Beli style.

This is why I responded at all. To me your first comment was already a put down on the Belli style and by extension the creator of those homes. So I do appreciate that you have recognized that that could be the outcome.

• Like 2

I don't understand the apparent obsession of comparing the new "Theme #4" Linden Homes (We don't know what they'll officially call it yet) with real life houses of similar design. In my mind, it shouldn't matter because they are not real life houses, they are Second Life houses, so differences from real life architecture are what help make them special in my mind.

I would say what would make them extra special were if each came with their own @Patch Linden bear, but I don't care, because I GOTZ MINEZ! Bahahaha! Do Moles have Mole Bears? Because I wantz'em!

And I want to also address ALL the Moles: Whenever I mention Patch, I want to say that I also am including YOU. Though we know some of your names, there also are a lot of you working hard out-of-general-sight. So whenever I throw unlimited "kudos" toward Patch, I am opening my arms wide to include each and every one of you. The landscapers, the model builders, the road-pavers, the scripters... ALL of you!

I've said it before and now I will say it again: There needs to be a place in Bellisseria, maybe even the Fair Grounds region, where there is some kind of plaque that lists all the names of all of the Lindens and Moles who helped make Bellisseria come alive.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Victorian is a style of architecture. It's features were adopted in many countries and adapted to the materials easily obtained in those areas. But to suggest that the style should be called Virginian rather than Victorian seems to deny the origins of the style.

I see it exactly the opposite way: as a recognition and acceptance of it being a style on its own with its own characteristics and its own worth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.