The New Belli Victorians

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:31 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Patch posted yesterday (I think it was yesterday -- a bit busy and blurry here) that outside shells may be "outlawed" as in made against the covenant. This if they get reviewed as he mentioned. Look at his posts to find his exact comment. Better not go to tons of work if it will just get returned to you :D.   

Oh, I see. Well,  I can't imagine a world without pink campers and mobile homes. If I have to take the prim off because of their rules, I will do that but it might shorten my stay in the LH camper world : )  I don't think I will be missed : )

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, PrudenceAnton said:

I got a Victorian home the other day and have been having a grand time fixing the home up. I looked around my neighborhood, several regions out even, and noticed not very many are furnished out yet.  I only saw 5 homes out of 50 in the surrounding area that were fully furnished, a dozen others had a couple of pieces of furniture inside and the rest, completely empty. ☹️

Anyway, here's a picture or two of what I did with mine. I went with the old Victorian furnishings.  To see the rest, I'm providing my flickr page url to see the entire set up.

LH - Victorian - The Verne:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/161818639@N02/albums/72157712280242136/with/49245577011/

1911110262_TheVerne-FrontPorch.thumb.png.9d996a8bdc47fe3a03a63dcbcf0e632f.png

1694381454_TheVerne-Parlor(1).thumb.png.d7187001bc60d2a43189af4a182a5614.png

Wow! That's very nice. That's how they're supposed to look! And I see that Fancy Decor gatcha set that I spent thousands on trying to get the rare clavichord : )

Well, my Verne is an opium den, which in fact disguises a British spying operation. Go up to the Anxiety skybox using the teleporter in the foyer, sit on libertine's decorator's stool, and click on the Dynasty buffet to see DenisLeontevv's old Soviet radio station.

Trash Can_638.jpg

Trash Can_639.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

On 12/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, Quartz Mole said:

Have you considered Discord?    Most RL projects in which I'm involved use that now, precisely because of the issues with Skype you describe, and I find it a lot more reliable.   

I used Discord because that's where the devs for FreeSO (the re-constituted The Sims Online) post all their notices (BTW they have added a ton of new content and neighbourhoods with mayors, it's really cool). 

But maybe because I then associated it with gaming that I don't think of it for work, I go on it and it seems like all this gaming stuff pops up. You're right it doesn't crash or patch as much as Skype. PS Skype phones home too from what my computer repair geek tells me. He wanted me to take it off my machine completely. But I don't know of any other program that enables you to telephone people in Afghanistan for free.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:37 AM, PrudenceAnton said:

UPDATED: Okay, @Patch Linden spoke up in Bellisseria Citizens chat group this morning and cleared up the confusion on this.

[03:25] Patch Linden: What I sad was, when people rubbed color changing shells in our faces, that we should retain the bug that allows for changing the exterior colors of homes to anything they wanted, that the level of customization on these homes is purposefully limited.

[03:26] Patch Linden: So I reinforced that fact, and then said if it continues to be an issue we may consider restricting add-on color changing shells (only and in that context)

[03:26] Patch Linden: That color changing bug has since been fixed, and a re-rez of a home will correct for it.

[03:30] Patch Linden: We've generally (read: somewhat, maybe) been ok with the color changing shells that were made for the Traditional homes for example, people have for the most part made smart choices there, but it could get out of hand.  It's sorta like living in a deed restricted (HOA) community, things should remain in balance and clean. :)

[03:33] Patch Linden: All ya's gotta do is ask me, hopefully I won't miss things, but I'm always happy to clear things up.

(formerly posted this) :  I didn't catch where this topic picked up at, but if shells & add ons are banded, I'll abide by it as well, though it'll be a very sad and blue day for myself, Cian and others.  Nearly 6 months ago now, the Bellis Blues Cafe was designed with a shell and add on, beautifully done, to make it possible to have the blues cafe.  If they're banned, then we'll have to sadly close the doors on this little Bellisseria community get together location, for without the lovely additions that @Chic Aeon designed for the cafe, it just.....isn't the blues cafe.

Added: The Bellis Blues Cafe's design is safe and secure. Doors will remain open! 🥳

Bellis Blues Cafe advert pic

Well, I have to say I'm confused by this because I didn't follow the saga of the bug, nor of colour shells being rubbed in faces.

I gather that the issue is that they don't want neighbourhoods where somebody has a neon glowing green and drives away other people or "brings down the neighbourhood". 

It reminds me of my parents' old neighbourhood on Cape Cod. When they first moved there 50 years ago, a lot of it was kind of beach-tacky which people liked. There was a woman with a disabled son who had a purple house, a shack really, with a store she called "Whichcraft" which we all thought was a brilliant name.  That store enabled her to survive and keep her son at home. She was a herbalist and made poultices for sunburn and had pine tar gum for sale and home-made beach plum jelly and all those old timey Cape Cod things. We used to so look forward to going to her home and store which was around the corner from my parent's old house. 

But after some time, the town fathers became upset with her store which they thought was too tacky and that she was a "witch" -- which shouldn't have mattered, but honestly, the name wouldn't prove that. They had to come up with some way of getting rid of her. So they passed a law for the territory of that housing tract about house colours, that they could only be "Cape Cod Blue" or some variation on a very restricted list of colours. Her purple was not that different from "Cape Cod Blue" but on that grounds they hounded her out of there. It was terrible!

Since purple or plum is actually one of the house colours, maybe purple will fly but I guess not pink for trailers? It's odd that you can turn the Victorians pink (I did mine), which is a bit strange (although as Alwin said they had a huge palette of colours) but you can't turn the campers pink -- that seems counterintuitive as the concept of the Flamingo Motel Court Cabins which I had first in TSO then in SL is ubiquitous in RL.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Behold the "Pink" color on a Sun Valley trailer:

775511915_PinkTrailer_SunValley.png.0036903c6d18bd1f6278b9408f35d72c.png

So, guys, I realize it's always "works on my machine" on the forums. I *am* capable of looking at a menu and picking out a colour, and I'm not colour blind.

But here's the thing: the model of mobile home I have is called "Williamsburg". It's old school and does not have any version of pink. Remember, we're talking about the OUTSIDE walls here. This is the model I want because it feels larger with the two rooms and the porch. Yes, I'm aware that I can re-rez one of the other models that do have pink.

Williamsburg does not have pink.

Here is a screenshot of the menu. There is no second page for the outside wall. 

There is "poppy" which is red, not pink.

Compare and contrast.

Hence, my use of a tinted prim. If the Lindens rule against this, it's their game.

No Pink.png

Trash Can_667.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But here's the thing: the model of mobile home I have is called "Williamsburg". It's old school and does not have any version of pink. Remember, we're talking about the OUTSIDE walls here. This is the model I want because it feels larger with the two rooms and the porch. Yes, I'm aware that I can re-rez one of the other models that do have pink.

And that was my point, if I actually had a point.  If you want pink, use a different trailer model.  The manufacturer does not offer the Williamsburg model in pink. 

Personally, I suspect that Linden Lab is unlikely to come down on you for adding a pink shell to the Williamsburg trailer, especially since pink is an option for the other models.  The rule about add-ons is that you have to stay "in theme" so that your home doesn't stand out as a sore thumb in the neighborhood.  I rather imagine that unless your neighbors complain, your pink Williamsburg will go unnoticed. No guarantees.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuckey Jigsaw said:

May I ask where you got the curtains from? 😊🙏

I believe those come in several colors or prints and are by OpiUm (honey.icechant), they started at 8 LI but by the time I sized them down and custom fitted them to the windows they were 5 LI each.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Royal-Drape-Sharren/17306493

Royal_Drape_-_Natur_AD_001.jpg?155855437

Royal_Drape_-_Red-Gold_AD2_001.jpg?15579

Royal_Drape_-_Beig_AD_001.jpg?1558545110

Royal_Drape_-Sharren_AD_001.jpg?15585344

Royal_Drape_-_Brick_AD_001.jpg?155855509

Royal_Drape_-_Blue-Gold_AD_001.jpg?15585

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 12/22/2019 at 12:59 PM, PrudenceAnton said:

believe those come in several colors or prints and are by OpiUm (honey.icechant), they started at 8 LI but by the time I sized them down and custom fitted them to the windows they were 5 LI each.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Royal-Drape-Sharren/17306493

Wondering if you happened to look at the TRIANGLE COUNT on those puppies. AT 5LI downsized from 9li  (OMG) I am guessing they are beyond heavy mesh. Not picking on you but THIS is one reason it get so laggy in Belli (and other places too of course).  

Couldn't stand it and went over to look.  Not as bad as it could be but remember the 75,000 triangles don't go away when you resize down (hence lower LI) and that is for ONE WINDOW.   The framerate at my house is 132 fps. At the store it was 8.4.   So please folks, think about your NEIGHBORS as well as yourself when you shop and check the triangles!  

image.thumb.png.50c667a4c3f7973ac0dd27fd0d39b136.png

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlyceAdrift said:

KInda bummed they didn't give this as an option to everybody instead of just releasing a completely different type of home so people have to obtain it by chance. Are they planning on implimenting this later on? It'd be nice for more options as well as traditional... 

This is a pretty confusing comment but maybe I missed what it was in reference too. Everyone had the same chance to get a home (one per avatar and if you want to pay for five premium alts then of course you get five chances, but still confused.).  All four types of structures were on the home choice page for days. They may still be. There are four little squares that show up on the page and you click on what you want (like houseboat or camper). The TRADITIONAL is the default choice but only that. You have the ability to choose what you want. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlyceAdrift said:

KInda bummed they didn't give this as an option to everybody instead of just releasing a completely different type of home so people have to obtain it by chance. Are they planning on implimenting this later on? It'd be nice for more options as well as traditional... 

The same wishful (complaint) comment in multiple threads is not going to make it happen.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

This is a pretty confusing comment but maybe I missed what it was in reference too. Everyone had the same chance to get a home (one per avatar and if you want to pay for five premium alts then of course you get five chances, but still confused.).  All four types of structures were on the home choice page for days. They may still be. There are four little squares that show up on the page and you click on what you want (like houseboat or camper). The TRADITIONAL is the default choice but only that. You have the ability to choose what you want. 

I'm days late to even knowing they released victorians... now I feel silly . Wasn't trying to come on here being a jerk but was hoping they could eventually do that with all options. I guess I will just have to try my  hand at getting a victorian patiently.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AlyceAdrift said:

I'm days late to even knowing they released victorians... now I feel silly . Wasn't trying to come on here being a jerk but was hoping they could eventually do that with all options. I guess I will just have to try my  hand at getting a victorian patiently.

If you watch the forums (or even just Patch's "stream") you will have a heads up.  I had a friend (still premium for a month) check and ALL the 10,000 places are taken (a surprise to me) but there were several days when ALL were available. More will come on after the first of the year but this was indeed the best time to get a plot.   Now you know and that helps. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Wondering if you happened to look at the TRIANGLE COUNT on those puppies. AT 5LI downsized from 9li  (OMG) I am guessing they are beyond heavy mesh. Not picking on you but THIS is one reason it get so laggy in Belli (and other places too of course).  

Couldn't stand it and went over to look.  Not as bad as it could be but remember the 75,000 triangles don't go away when you resize down (hence lower LI) and that is for ONE WINDOW.   The framerate at my house is 132 fps. At the store it was 8.4.   So please folks, think about your NEIGHBORS as well as yourself when you shop and check the triangles!  

Thank you for the info, Chic. I hadn't even thought about checking the triangles used for those curtains. I had them linked on top of that and nearly choked how high it put them. So  I removed them and replaced with a much lower LI and lower triangle lace curtain I'm already using in my house.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Thank you for the info, Chic. I hadn't even thought about checking the triangles used for those curtains. I had them linked on top of that and nearly choked how high it put them. So  I removed them and replaced with a much lower LI and lower triangle lace curtain I'm already using in my house.  

Your neighbors thank you I am sure (even if they don't know LOL).    There are tons of quite nice 1 land impact curtains to be had so lots of choices --- even some free ones that work quite well.  

We used to talk about this dense mesh issue  A LOT on the MESH forum -- that and bad LODs which personally bothers me even more, but the mesh forum folks have pretty much disappeared. I am not sure if that is because there are only a few new folks making mesh in SL and asking questions or because people just don't care. 

There are some gorgeous things being made.  Unfortunately some hover around the HALF A MILLION TRIANGLES for a furniture item (OMG OMG OMG).  I saw that when inspecting and almost cried. It was a lovely hammock === but.   I don't know if the creators just don't know how to make low poly items or forget to decimate or if --- like so many these days -- they are just downloading RENDER MESH from websites (now "legal" in SL) an putting them up.   

It is really quite depressing for those of us that actually TRY to make things that look pretty good and also WORK --   Again, much of this used to be on the mesh board. A few folks listened but not all that many.  I have a few "primmy" items in my foo-foo house on the water (not Belli) but I try to be sane still === even if I am not styling a public place that needs to run with high fps. By now it has become ingrained. 

It was really good you posted those. They are pretty and the same maker has some  styles that are less dense so those might be an option for folks too.   Even if you use 1 LI drapes (assuming that they are really 1 LI) that's a fair amount of prims used up. One friend did drapes in all rooms and her place looks lovely. The guys seem to be in the "who needs window coverings" mode so who knows what will happen there.   I don't have drapes in my Belli place but the Victorians really DO look better with them I think.  

If I was still "working" LOL, I would likely see if I could get my 1 LI drapes down to .7 which I am pretty sure I can as I am smarter now, but since I am retired more or less I will let others do the work and reap the rewards.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.