The New Belli Victorians

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So do you think the Lindens reached saturation point with these? I lost one tenant who had previously donated tier today who fled for the Victorians although she frankly admitted that she would likely be back when she got bored with the LHs, as she has done before. I have another one getting an LH but keeping her rental as an alternative. I have to say, being in a house that I can't edit, i.e. tint, remove prims, cut up, etc. is a little creepy to me. I guess the trade-off is that the landscaping and overall look is good and my God, the Lindens are even going to police your Christmas tree if you leave it up one day over the line.

I don't think they've hit saturation yet.  There actually seem to be plenty that like the Victorians - I'm just more partial to my Traditional.  I also think there are still plenty of folks that are waiting to see what the next themes will be. And ultimately, all those folks still hanging on to the older Linden Homes will have to give them up - and I imagine that most of them will come to the new ones.  Very likely some of the current hold-out batch is still waiting to see what other themes come up.

There are plenty of people that rent places where they cannot actually edit the house, so that part isn't a real problem to some people.  The biggest advantage, IMO anyway, to the Linden Home, which does help offset the fact that you cannot edit the house, is that it does not count against your LI and so you end up with the full amount of 512/1024 LI to use for your own furnishings and landscaping.  And the old Linden Homes also could not be edited, yet many flocked to them when they first came out.  Over time, some get tired of the restrictions and move on to other less restrictive pastures - Patch even commented that LL actually expects many folks to do just that.  Yet, even after all these years, there are actually still quite a few of the older Linden Homes occupied, and (based on forum posts) quite a few are from oldies, not just newer folks.

Many of the folks that have gotten one or more Linden Homes have also kept their mainland, so I can see other folks keeping their current rentals as well.  Ultimately, I'm not sure what the overall impact on rentals will be. I can easily see some eventually losing interest in the Linden Homes - maybe not until after they have sampled every type - and then returning to either a rental somewhere or buying their own land.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

After logging in really late in the evening to check the forums and then seeing that they had done a large release, I popped over to my land page and there are still Victorians available - 8 hours now since the release.  The land page is even showing me Trads and Houseboats.

I went ahead and grabbed a Victorian, but mostly just wanting the content pack. I'm not sure whether I'll keep it or not, regardless of what the location looks like.  I did see Patch's post from a few hours ago about abandoning though, so I'll go ahead an hold it until sometime tomorrow.

Wow, 19-20 hours after my previous post, which was 8 or more hours after the actual release, and my land page is still showing me Trads, Campers and Victorians.

Well done @Patch Linden and all Moles.

• Like 5

I think that the tinting feature is GREAT.  I don't know anyone tinting beyond just the walls but other options are available I hear. So far most folks have just grabbed and not moved it. I mean it is a BUSY time.  One person just put down a Christmas tree and left LOL. Funny. 

And I think that the Victorians have lots more character than the traditional and with bigger footprints there is less to do outdoors (which means less "ugly" clutter in some cases ^^.   So all good.  My only thumbs down is the overall flatness of the landscape. I understand the WHY of it -- in or so many ways, but the sims do look pretty homogeneous in nature -- except for the coasts and a few with waterways. Tradeoffs. 

Getting the prim count down on the flowers was great and I see people using the mailbox flowers as a big part of their landscaping which helps the sim run better.    So lots of great things to say.  

Two of my friends on yesterday morning's Victorian hunt ended up in the same sim which made me smile. One has most of the basics in and still has about 100 land impact left with a fair amount of plants in raised beds around the foundation which definitely helps the look.   I need to check and see how the other is doing.   I am going to go out exploring fairly soon and see how people have been decorating, but I am guessing that most will wait until after Christmas to begin.     I am going to run over and take a photo of the tinted walls. 

bathroom_003.thumb.jpg.8159c5ce58ea93e34df66671a389d93e.jpg

Oh and to @Quartz Mole  do the Powers That Be know that the landing point -- depending on the house that is rezzed -- puts people stuck in the stairs?  Not too bad for old-timers but that could be very frustrating to newbies -- so passing that info along.  Not sure which houses, like the ones with stairs in the middle?   Just some friends found that out today. 

• Like 8

On 12/14/2019 at 3:07 PM, Quartz Mole said:

You'll be disappointed to hear, then, that she lost her seat in parliament on Thursday, when she was defeated in East Dunbartonshire by the SNP candidate, Amy Callaghan

Nicola Sturgeon, the leader of the SNP, seemed rather pleased about the result:

Partisan news reporters have feelings too 😉. I think they should all be required to report their opinions dressed as their favourite vegetable though... because THAT is also important for us to know!

8 hours ago, BJoyful said:

Partisan news reporters have feelings too 😉. I think they should all be required to report their opinions dressed as their favourite vegetable though... because THAT is also important for us to know!

I'd love to see Nicola dressed as a vegetable! The SNP is actually a political party rather than a news channel, she is head of the Scottish National Party and her candidate ousted the head of a different party from her seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't think they've hit saturation yet.  There actually seem to be plenty that like the Victorians - I'm just more partial to my Traditional.  I also think there are still plenty of folks that are waiting to see what the next themes will be. And ultimately, all those folks still hanging on to the older Linden Homes will have to give them up - and I imagine that most of them will come to the new ones.  Very likely some of the current hold-out batch is still waiting to see what other themes come up.

There are plenty of people that rent places where they cannot actually edit the house, so that part isn't a real problem to some people.  The biggest advantage, IMO anyway, to the Linden Home, which does help offset the fact that you cannot edit the house, is that it does not count against your LI and so you end up with the full amount of 512/1024 LI to use for your own furnishings and landscaping.  And the old Linden Homes also could not be edited, yet many flocked to them when they first came out.  Over time, some get tired of the restrictions and move on to other less restrictive pastures - Patch even commented that LL actually expects many folks to do just that.  Yet, even after all these years, there are actually still quite a few of the older Linden Homes occupied, and (based on forum posts) quite a few are from oldies, not just newer folks.

Many of the folks that have gotten one or more Linden Homes have also kept their mainland, so I can see other folks keeping their current rentals as well.  Ultimately, I'm not sure what the overall impact on rentals will be. I can easily see some eventually losing interest in the Linden Homes - maybe not until after they have sampled every type - and then returning to either a rental somewhere or buying their own land.

Yes, it's true that if people rent a house normally they won't be able to edit it, but whenever I go on a busman's holiday and rent a place, that's the first thing that bothers me. Once you get used to editing houses, you don't want to go back. I have some sims where the house prims don't count so the tenant does get the full prims of a 1024 or even more because in a group you can do that. I think some people like the convenience and savings of a rental as they'd rather spend on clothes, pets and vehicles, and others like to own both land and home and fortunately there are those choices in SL.

I wonder if people will really flee from the very oldest Linden Homes. I do know a few people who like particularly the Asian or A-frame styles and stay rooted. What will happen if the Lindens face lots of sims where there is only one hold-out here or there? Will they (like me sometimes) consolidate and offer their hapless customer a free month's rent so that they will move and the Lindens can save a sim? 

People are really creatures of habit. I have some tenants who put out things they love that are literally from 15 years ago, and I'm like that, too, sometimes. I offer to deliver to them new mesh furniture for 25L, or I point them to places where there is a 35L Sunday or a 50L Friday or a freebie where they could be having really nice things for a song. But they want that little rickety table they made themselves when they were a newbie.

For the Lindens' sake, I hope what they're getting is not merely the same customers adding a pied a terre or "summer home" in Bellisseria, but brand-new customers, either people who have been in SL but never had a premium, or even totally new people from outside. You do get those occasionally.

Recently with one of my RL projects involving people on various continents I was going to suggest a virtual SL office instead of struggling with Skype which always falls out, always sends you a cumbersome new patch to put in just when you have a critical conference call, always creates problems for somebody in the group, etc. And please don't tell me to go on Slack which I've had to endure for some jobs and which seems to eat up your computer. But as I thought about it, I thought it was too weird to suggest to people who have little or no experience with virtuality, or weren't even on Facebook. Not everybody in the world is a gamer. If I got past the hurdle of their thinking I'm insane for suggesting a virtual thing, and I got them all ramped in, I'd still face the Skype equivalences -- lag, somebody not able to see or sit down, somebody in a country with poor Internet, etc. etc. We're not there yet. But I wish we were because we could save a lot of money.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

There most certainly is. My trailer is so pink inside and out that I named my parcel Beth's Pink Box. 

But that's on the inside. I mean the siding on the outside. I'm going to see if I can put a tinted transparent prim on it somehow or maybe just a prim with siding in fact.

• Like 1

@Chic Aeon re "And I think that the Victorians have lots more character than the traditional and with bigger footprints there is less to do outdoors (which means less "ugly" clutter in some cases ^^.  "

I think they do, too, which is why I got one for my alt although I haven't gotten a Linden Home (after my original Wizard's house) in probably 10 years or more, except for a brief hiatus with a boat house which I ditched due to ban lines (yes, they fixed those but by then I was busy with other things) and an A-frame which I never visitedKitty_005.thumb.jpg.9026e27f9eb6bfba4ddb4517b861e7ba.jpg.

On my main I got a camper just because it seemed like the thing to do but I think I'll ditch it soon, as it is tier that can't be grouped with the 10% bonus, which I find annoying (you can't group the Linden home land for some reason tho you can set to group). If I see they are hugely in demand again I'll release mine so someone who appreciates it more can have it because I already have two entire Mainland sims with camper and cabin stuff. 

As for "less to do outdoors," somehow M. Carter Blanc (Telehub Ross) has taken a sarcophagus out into the back yard and I don't know what the hell is in it or what he's doing but someone could explore. He's also turned the whole house into an opium den. I believe it was the jade wall colour that suggested it.

Kitty_003.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I must came here to say that I am so f* happy with my victoriam house! YAY!!

It took me some time to discover that I can change the house itself, what a wonderful feature! I could choose a smaller house, better to decorate with the prims available!

And te location rocks!

Yep! I'm so f* happy!! Had to share that! 😀😀😀

• Like 5

I personally came back to Premium (and actually back to being active in SL)  because of the new Linden Homes. I fellt that with Bellisaria, SL is finally on the way to realizing the potential it has had since the beginning of really being a VR social community.Not only for events and specific groups, but for all premium users who are willing to be just a little bit outgoing (with events and public land open to non premium users as well).

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I'd love to see Nicola dressed as a vegetable! The SNP is actually a political party rather than a news channel, she is head of the Scottish National Party and her candidate ousted the head of a different party from her seat.

I have so much to learn about British politics and News... and everything else !  :D  But I do love to learn :D 

1 hour ago, Bela Tolsen said:

I must came here to say that I am so f* happy with my victoriam house! YAY!!

It took me some time to discover that I can change the house itself, what a wonderful feature! I could choose a smaller house, better to decorate with the prims available!

And te location rocks!

Yep! I'm so f* happy!! Had to share that! 😀😀😀

Did you get the parcel with decorations and flowers out of the postbox yet?

And did you find out that you can tint every room (inner walls) seperately - with any colour of your choice?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Did you get the parcel with decorations and flowers out of the postbox yet?

And did you find out that you can tint every room (inner walls) seperately - with any colour of your choice?

Yessssss!  I saw that feature too!! And the garden plenty of hydrangeas!! \o/

I see LL like a good Santa now! hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Not two or more rooms at a time, no, but that's not really a handicap. Once you have hit the "Submit" button in the color picker HUD (or created a color by entering <RGB> values) , you have saved the color in your "My Colors" menu.  After that, you can apply that color to the walls in any other room without having to recreate it.  Just use Redecorate >> Walls >> My Colors and select one of your saved custom colors, just as you would use any of the preset colors.  You may create up to nine custom colors and, of course, can delete one that you have already applied if you want to free up space in the menu for something different.

it's a great feature... and if people want to keep in style .. for fun google for  "victorian colors"  amazing how colorfull their palet was, i always thought it was stiff dark and dull ...

In this case.. make that feature also available for the woodwork???/ pleassse?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moles
6 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Recently with one of my RL projects involving people on various continents I was going to suggest a virtual SL office instead of struggling with Skype which always falls out, always sends you a cumbersome new patch to put in just when you have a critical conference call, always creates problems for somebody in the group, etc.

Have you considered Discord?    Most RL projects in which I'm involved use that now, precisely because of the issues with Skype you describe, and I find it a lot more reliable.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Have you considered Discord?    Most RL projects in which I'm involved use that now, precisely because of the issues with Skype you describe, and I find it a lot more reliable.   

Yep Discord is so much better than Skype. My friends and I use Discord when online inworld. Better than the whole ( Crap let me re-log I lost voice deal )

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

Hey guys. 😃 On the new Victorians, when somebody not on your house's access list tries to click on a door, there's a knocking sound!

I think that is pretty cool!  Scared the crap out of me though the first time I heard it. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jellybeangirl101 said:

@s2Pandora Yeah my partner went  to open the door before I could add him and the knocking sound started.  I was like wth ..... LOL it was funny stuff but like he said it could turn into a trolling problem too. Oh yeah I think your in the region next to me. I am in Bishopshead. I think I walked by your house. 

Greetings =D I'll wave across the bay to you!

I was pretty confused as well when I first heard it, lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, s2Pandora said:

Greetings =D I'll wave across the bay to you!

I was pretty confused as well when I first heard it, lol

Stands on the roof of my house and waves back.  Lol I thought it was a mole working or trolling me at first.  Rotfl

You can bet my partner kept touching the dang door before I got him added. I was like if you keep touching the door I will eject your butt. so I set it to open to everyone 

• Haha 5

I got a Victorian home the other day and have been having a grand time fixing the home up. I looked around my neighborhood, several regions out even, and noticed not very many are furnished out yet.  I only saw 5 homes out of 50 in the surrounding area that were fully furnished, a dozen others had a couple of pieces of furniture inside and the rest, completely empty. ☹️

Anyway, here's a picture or two of what I did with mine. I went with the old Victorian furnishings.  To see the rest, I'm providing my flickr page url to see the entire set up.

LH - Victorian - The Verne:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/161818639@N02/albums/72157712280242136/with/49245577011/

1911110262_TheVerne-FrontPorch.thumb.png.9d996a8bdc47fe3a03a63dcbcf0e632f.png

1694381454_TheVerne-Parlor(1).thumb.png.d7187001bc60d2a43189af4a182a5614.png

• Like 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.