Sign in to follow this  
Kyra Reyer

Why do I receive a message saying invalid characters when I try to change my display name?

Question

Were it the same characters? Not all Unicode characters are allowed! Evenmore, the web profiles cannot show all Unicode characters that are actually allowed to use!

BTW: Using "cool" looking Unicode characters is IMHO a bad habit and seems to be catching. I can't see anything 1337 in it setting a display name that is completely unreadable only because it looks cool.

11 answers to this question

Were it the same characters? Not all Unicode characters are allowed! Evenmore, the web profiles cannot show all Unicode characters that are actually allowed to use!

BTW: Using "cool" looking Unicode characters is IMHO a bad habit and seems to be catching. I can't see anything 1337 in it setting a display name that is completely unreadable only because it looks cool.

True, it's a major annoyance. As bad example I have set a display name for my alt that is completely unreadable and unpronouncable. Still waiting to run up to a LL event and ask a question that is answered on voice - and I will insist on saying the name correctly! :)

And that is the reason I have now permanently turned off display names, the moronic childish names were getting annoying. On my main account I actually delete anyone from my friends list who uses such display names and when they ask why I tell them because I don't interact with immature people.

As one who DJs and likes to greet patrons by name when they enter the club, I find it a challenge to read a display name full of special characters and gee gaws. In those cases, I usually resort to their username.

My memory's quirky, so I always do. User names are constant. I can't count on recognizing the same person later if I've only seen a Display Name.