How are you feeling today?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 195 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have the distinct impression that natural selection will have its way. They were warned.

As for red state governors, i just can’t for the life of me understand why they would want to throw their citizens and themselves into the volcano.

I think there's a substantial possibility that we'll never be able to show that those red state governors made the wrong call. Our lack of test capability, along with our population's abhorrence for government involvement in something like movement tracking, will make it more difficult to identify, or at least easier to refute, any connections between COVID deaths and state public policies.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that natural selection is responding to pressures (like intelligence) that you're imagining. Modern societies have all but eliminated those ancient selection pressures. If the least educated members of a population out reproduce the most educated (the trend in most western democracies), it might be that ignorance is evolutionarily advantageous.

Nature is not only cruel, she's also devious.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely broken.  I have just had confirmation that my wonderful, amazing,  perfectly imperfect partner lost his battle with cancer this morning.  We almost made it to 11 years in this mad crazy wor

My dad passed away today, in his sleep, at the hospice. I'm in that shock phase now, numb and unable to think.

So, quick update number 2...  My daughter is negative for covid-19!!! the super quarantine is lifted and we can go grocery shopping! Back to your regularly scheduled bickering.. 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think there's a substantial possibility that we'll never be able to show that those red state governors made the wrong call. Our lack of test capability, along with our population's abhorrence for government involvement in something like movement tracking, will make it more difficult to identify, or at least easier to refute, any connections between COVID deaths and state public policies.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that natural selection is responding to pressures (like intelligence) that you're imagining. Modern societies have all be eliminated those ancient selection pressures. If the least educated members of a population out reproduce the most educated (the trend in most western democracies), it might be that ignorance is evolutionarily advantageous.

Nature is not only cruel, she's also devious.

I mean, a lot of people will be removed by covid. I guess we will see if social distancing is yet another hoax or not.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I know we weren't getting political on this thread but Boris just got admitted into hospital.  

It is hard not to be... I guess we are all sharing the same question all around the Globe: why did it take you so long to react?????

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I didn’t get out of bed today until 4:30 pm so there’s that.

Watching Governor Andy channel Mr. Rogers right now with his daily pep talk and/or dressing down depending on how people are behaving. No one wants to disappointment Andy. He’s wonderful.

Now... do I stay up or just go back to bed? I guess I should eat. Go inworld and snuggle with my fella. 

I don’t know what I want to do. Everything and nothing sounds good.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
16 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I didn’t get out of bed today until 4:30 pm so there’s that.

Watching Governor Andy channel Mr. Rogers right now with his daily pep talk and/or dressing down depending on how people are behaving. No one wants to disappointment Andy. He’s wonderful.

Now... do I stay up or just go back to bed? I guess I should eat. Go inworld and snuggle with my fella. 

I don’t know what I want to do. Everything and nothing sounds good.

Nothing sounds better than (doing) everything. It's a Sunday. Cut yourself some slack. Make the most of a snuggle or six with the fella inworld. I wonder if inworld cuddle parties are still a thing *ponders that a while*. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
Let's eat, Grandma. Let's eat Grandma.
  • Like 3

Let's make sure we keep politics out of this thread as much as possible so we don't accidentally get the thread closed. I'd hate to see that happen and I know you guys would, too. 

Not that anyone has really stepped out of line, but Sparky is closing several threads and I want to protect this one!

I went with the cuddling option, btw. 😋

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Let's make sure we keep politics out of this thread as much as possible so we don't accidentally get the thread closed. I'd hate to see that happen and I know you guys would, too. 

Not that anyone has really stepped out of line, but Sparky is closing several threads and I want to protect this one!

I went with the cuddling option, btw. 😋

Yes but Beth my favorite post is yours about someone’s pie hole. 😁

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
15 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Yes but Beth my favorite post is yours about someone’s pie hole.

I...missed this...

Anyone want to fill me in?

During my front yard social distancing cocktail hour, all kinds of neighbors strolled by that I had never seen before. I am enjoying it, for as long as the weather holds out —  Texas summers are brutal. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

In the US, we are not just dealing with the virus disaster but the avoidable results of catastrophic and often deliberate mismanagement by those with power. The first is hard to bear but the latter is much worse. It is terrible that people are dying, but unendurable that so many of them could have been saved. Even now, nine states have no lockdown orders. Georgia just reopened the beaches they closed just the other day. It is all madness, or spite, and that is what is so hard to endure. 

For those not listening to Gov. Cuomo’s daily briefings, they are inspiring. Gov Cuomo has begged for national rolling deployment* of medical resources for when states are peaking, instead of individual states bidding against each other AND FEMA, then when the peak is over, being left with a glut of equipment. This makes perfect sense, but the admin says no, states are on their own. 

*“Calling New York a hot spot in the fight to stop the spread of the coronavirus, the governor urged President Donald Trump to consider a “rolling deployment” of ventilators and medical personnel first to this state before moving to other regions.

“We can take the equipment, we can take the personnel, we can take the lessons to the next area in need,” Gov. Cuomo said.”

To each his own.

Can we please keep the politics out of this?

How am I feeling today? FURIOUS. I have RL family who are pandemic front line (nurse and juris doctor), working in hospitals to save lives. They are scared, and I am for them. So probably more than other SL residents I was angered to see a long-term SL user in Portal Park use the name to COVID-19 to shout "you've been infected" at least four times. WTF? There are over a million confirmed cases, there have been thousands of deaths, and this person thinks it's a joke? Not going to divulge this person's usual resident name (against forum policy) but have reported them. Please everyone, show some respect to your fellow residents, especially those with family and friends who have passed away, and treat this virus seriously.

furious.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

I know, I know, I keep saying I need to pull away from the forum because it makes me crankier, but not this thread (usually). My depression has so many facets, like a big, crummy lump of coal-carbon cut like diamond-carbon,  and such facet is me getting a little OCD about things... like forum. Anyway, I understand wanting to keep politics out of this thread, I do. The problem is that so many of us are having stress and "stuff" over the pandemic and unfortunately a lot of that stress is caused by various politicians effing things up. I've heard so many times/places "oh you Americans think everything is about you!" well, folks, in this one we're all together, including effed up political responses and including the rare little bright spots of competency.  So I don't know how we walk the lines between supporting each other, venting our frustrations, and avoiding the political. I think maybe avoiding the political FIGHTING might be the answer, and for the most part I think this thread has done that pretty well.

I keep hearing the lyrics to "A Day In the Life"... I read the news today oh boy...  

When the news is crazy making, how can you not vent?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Waiomao said:

I was angered to see a long-term SL user in Portal Park use the name to COVID-19 to shout "you've been infected" at least four times. WTF?

This is a mind-blowing WTF. 

People in RL give me funny looks when I say that I'm a misanthrope. Usually I think that is because 90% of people don't know what that word means. The other 10% shake their heads and think I'm joking. I let them think I'm joking. I'm generally not joking. It is stuff like this that makes  me very serious.

HOWEVER,  your RL family putting themselves in danger to treat people, including as*hats like this COVID-19 avatar's owner, well... that makes me hate people a little less. There are a lot of people doing extraordinarily good and brave things during this. Most of us are just muddling along. And then there are the idiots.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I know we weren't getting political on this thread but Boris just got admitted into hospital.  

There's a difference in adding lots of political commentary to a thread that is just supposed to be about our feelings & support for each other, and simply passing along the news that a high politician is getting worse.  Your comment isn't the type of politics that we typically try to keep out of this thread.

5 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Let's make sure we keep politics out of this thread as much as possible so we don't accidentally get the thread closed.

It's not just about keeping the thread from getting closed down, but to try and keep the negativity of political crap out of here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 195 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.