How are you feeling today?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

When you do get to the store there won't be anything left on the shelves. I went to one of the supermarkets in my town today and the shelves had been cleared of bog roll, kitchen roll & tissues, painkillers, teabags, pasta, alcohol gel, soap, anti-bacterial products, nappies & sanitary products, flour and running low on bread & bakery, pet food, wine, frozen stuff, packet & canned food

Bog roll?

Here in New England, at a store similar to Whole Foods, yesterday there was no: bread of any sort including English muffins and tortillas (oddly there were still hamburger buns), butter, frozen fruit or vegetables, most meat including sausages and bacon, soap, anti-bacterial anything, oatmeal!, 90% of the eggs and milk were gone. I didn't check on some of the other things. But we did have PLENTY of beer and wine, which is just... wrong. We also had coffee and maple syrup, which in New England one would expect to be some of the first items to go. Also, I think it is the only store on the entire planet that has toilet paper! And everyone I saw was being NICE about it and only taking two rolls.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm going stir-crazy. I self-isolated last week because of the fever I had... and now that I'm ready to rejoin the real world, I just got a call from my boss that our work area is being shut down and we're all to work from home until a date not yet determined. 

Normally I love working from home but I've reached the point where I need some real live human interaction. My state also announced today the closure of all restaurants and bars to anything but take-out and delivery so I can't even go sit in a restaurant. And I feel guilty for feeling that way when I should (and am) worried about all the service industry people who aren't going to be making any money for the foreseeable future. My city and state are going to be hauling out the rainy day funds to help cover these folks expenses, and many utilities, credit card companies, etc., are suspending payments due, but still... that has to be terrifying for them. 

I'm sitting here in my apartment right now with the heat on because it's cold, and my patio door open because I need some fresh air. 

The cats are annoyed that I won't leave so they can do their secret cat things that they do when I'm at work. 

What is it going to be like two weeks from now?!

We are running virtual drinks and meals. I felt quite silly at the beginning, but it does work. 

Plus, a campaign has been launched so the people like us, not directly affected by the situation, can spend the money we are saving now in the services once all this is over. We are planning on spending all the money on restaurants, shops, leisure activities.... to help small business

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

When you do get to the store there won't be anything left on the shelves. I went to one of the supermarkets in my town today and the shelves had been cleared of bog roll, kitchen roll & tissues, painkillers, teabags, pasta, alcohol gel, soap, anti-bacterial products, nappies & sanitary products, flour and running low on bread & bakery, pet food, wine, frozen stuff, packet & canned food

Most of the stores around me have now shortened their open hours so they have more time to do restocking at night and they are limiting the quantity of various items that people can purchase.   I think that my next trip to the store will be planned for early morning, right when they open.

I'm still amazed at some of the things people are hoarding.  I actually think some folks are literally just grabbing anything they can get their hands on just to make themselves feel better.  I read an article saying that much of the hoarding is simply people trying to gain some control over a situation that feels totally out of control.  

I'm mostly worried about the economy.  All those places closing will ultimately impact people's finances.  Even the large companies saying they will cover payroll for a while, can only do that for so long.  Currently, most of the closures of things throughout the US are only for the next 2 or 3 weeks, but I have little hope that things will go back to normal that fast.  

• Like 7

Warning, happy feels ahead so anyone who wants to avoid someone in a decently good mood - you’ve been warned. 😉

I’m concentrating on a new art project (delving into the research and planing phase before I bust out the airbrush and also the goopy textural paints) and feeling quite good. My sweetie is working from home, logging in remotely to his meetings and it’s amusing to hear him using his ‘patient voice’ soooo much. We are taking the recommended isolating precautions but otherwise I’m not ‘worrying’ overmuch. One of my 2020 resolutions was to ‘worry less’ overall.

Neither of us are statistically in any appreciably higher risk groups due to age, health conditions, or habits so once I did some research I was reassured that even if we catch the virus, the probability of it killing us is tiny. Very glad neither of us had any doctor visits needed or scheduled so avoiding places where sick people gather until the contagion passes will hopefully be easier. Groceries ordered for pickup or delivery works well to limit contact and I need to dig out my exercise mat,  I miss the pool, sauna, jacuzzi and massage - and we will miss a few cocktail parties and performances that we had planned to attend (thankfully they have only been postponed) but otherwise yes, I’m good and not freaking out with worry for once and that’s quite something!

I’m going to make steaks for dinner and buy some e-books tonight and do some SL redecorating in our Angel Manor palace apartment over the next 2 weeks, something I’d been putting it off. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm still amazed at some of the things people are hoarding.  I actually think some folks are literally just grabbing anything they can get their hands on just to make themselves feel better.  I read an article saying that much of the hoarding is simply people trying to gain some control over a situation that feels totally out of control.  

1DF59972-FA76-4055-A219-FE3593EAA307.jpg.cf5f76583a1c22887578d7fa3d7f9d9d.jpg

• Haha 7

I went to the grocery store this morning and was comforted to find that there was plenty in stock. No toilet paper of course, and weirdly, there was no fresh chicken (whole or pieces), yet there was plenty of every other kind of meat. There was even pasta; not much dried but plenty of fresh, and even that keeps a month or more in the fridge.  So my cupboards and freezer are now well-stocked for at least two or three weeks.

• Like 5

The Mayor of Denver has mandated that all restaurants and bars can not do any on-site seating, only carry out or delivery -- and he gave a current end date of May 11th, which is the 8 week time frame that the CDC gave for limited crowds.  While that is probably much more realistic on how long things need to be restricted, it is also causing a bit more panic than just giving a 2-3 week time frame.  Even if the 2-3 week time periods keep getting extended a few weeks at a time, I still think that is easier on the psyche.  The more other people panic, the more dread I feel from all of this, whether or not their panic is actually warranted. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Warning, happy feels ahead so anyone who wants to avoid someone in a decently good mood - you’ve been warned. 😉

I’m concentrating on a new art project (delving into the research and planing phase before I bust out the airbrush and also the goopy textural paints) and feeling quite good. My sweetie is working from home, logging in remotely to his meetings and it’s amusing to hear him using his ‘patient voice’ soooo much. We are taking the recommended isolating precautions but otherwise I’m not ‘worrying’ overmuch. One of my 2020 resolutions was to ‘worry less’ overall.

Neither of us are statistically in any appreciably higher risk groups due to age, health conditions, or habits so once I did some research I was reassured that even if we catch the virus, the probability of it killing us is tiny. Very glad neither of us had any doctor visits needed or scheduled so avoiding places where sick people gather until the contagion passes will hopefully be easier. Groceries ordered for pickup or delivery works well to limit contact and I need to dig out my exercise mat,  I miss the pool, sauna, jacuzzi and massage - and we will miss a few cocktail parties and performances that we had planned to attend (thankfully they have only been postponed) but otherwise yes, I’m good and not freaking out with worry for once and that’s quite something!

I’m going to make steaks for dinner and buy some e-books tonight and do some SL redecorating in our Angel Manor palace apartment over the next 2 weeks, something I’d been putting it off. 

This is beautiful, thank you for sharing.  My wife and I are doing the same.  Although I am high risk and if I get this virus I probably will not survive, but while alive I will live.

Enjoy and be happy and safe.  Controlling your own destiny goes a long way in being  happy.  

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm cleaning out the refridgerater.

I started cleaning my cupboards and checking what food I have in stock and I am (almost) ashamed to say I have been stockpiling tea bags and couscous for weeks without realising.  We have an aunt in her early 80's and a couple of other elderly relatives who will appreciate the tea bags but I am not sure if they even know what to do with couscous. 

I am kind of peed off they haven't closed the schools yet because  have an autoimmune disease ie my own immune system is already attacking itself so I really could do without catching this thing because nobody knows what sort of risk category I am in. 

I do have enough bog roll for a fornight though :D  and the SL economy will keep going judging by how much I spent at C88 yesterday 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Well sh!t just got real.  Idris Elba just tested positive.  I could self isolate with him as long as Jason doesn't need me

I mean, if the nicest man on the planet can get it (Tom Hanks) anyone can!

We're all going to survive this thing, but by the time all our various isolations and quarantines are over, we're all going to be stark-raving mad(der).

I just ordered groceries and they can't be delivered until Wednesday afternoon, so at least the delivery people are making money. I wonder if some of the service industry people could take temp jobs for Instacart, Postmates, etc? I've never had to wait 48 hours for grocery delivery (1st world problems to be sure). 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I've never had groceries delivered. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*runs

There is no reason for me to other than pure laziness, really. I first started doing it because Whole Foods delivery is free when you have Amazon Prime, and I could use my Amazon store card when I was low on cash. 

Then I tried Instacart, and though I have to pay a delivery fee, I find I spend less because there is no impulse buying. I fill my cart, then go back through and edit it, then edit it again, and remove things that sounded good at first but that I know will end up just sitting in my pantry, or that cake that looked great but that I absolutely don't need. 

If I'm actually shopping in the store, and I pick up that cake and then realize when I'm on the other side of the store that I don't need it, I won't go all the way back to the other side to put it back, and I'm not a big enough jerk to just leave it on a random shelf... so I buy it, and then I eat it, and my life is really just full of regrets like that... lol. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've never had to wait 48 hours for grocery delivery (1st world problems to be sure). 

My mom usually places her grocery order online for pickup the next day.  She said that she placed an order Friday mid-afternoon and all of the pickup times for Sat were already taken so she had to wait until mid-morning Sunday.  

I just read that Amazon is saying that they are experiencing longer than usual delivery times in many areas.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I know that while all the big supermarkets in my home town were being decimated by hordes of maniacs (!), I calmly walked from my home, back to my brother's, via the Co-operative store, and got bread, milk, cheesecakes, sausage rolls, cheese and onion pasties, a couple of ready meals, some salad and some fresh vegetables with absolutely no problem, not even a queue. It was like the best kept secret.  And I felt soooo lucky! 

It has been a really lovely day here.  And yesterday was, for a change, so very very good, it has gone into the Bank of Good Days.  They do still exist, and after a month of sh1te and misery, I was really feeling all the good ones were over.

Sending hugs to those who sent them to me, they help HUGELY, and continuing strength for everyone, that we and our loved ones get through this current crazy COVID-19 crisis.  

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

This is beautiful, thank you for sharing.  My wife and I are doing the same.  Although I am high risk and if I get this virus I probably will not survive, but while alive I will live.

Enjoy and be happy and safe.  Controlling your own destiny goes a long way in being  happy.  

Take good care Storm, both of you! 🌟

• Like 1

I am feeling hopeful, because somehow, this mess is bringing out some amazing kindness. This was uploaded today to Facebook: some neighbours wanted to celebrate an old lady's birthday. Since we cannot get together and have to keep a 2m distance, this is what they came up with. This wonderful old lady lives on her own, but she did feel the company of her people. Scenes like these can be seen all over the country: stores are opened first time in the morning just for the elderly, so they can peacefully do their shopping; people taking care of stray animals and feeding the birds through their balconies. Healthcare professionals crying in their ambulances when they hear how everybody is clapping through the windows, as they drive by...

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.