Jump to content
Beth Macbain

How are you feeling today?

Recommended Posts

Aw, thanks guys for typing "we do" and various kind things about my statement of "who wants to hear that?". I guess the more accurate way of phrasing it would be that I live with myself 24/7 (sadly) and the depression and sheety life circumstances are all the time, for quite a while, and frankly *I* don't want to read about them. I find it tedious to write, even though sometimes it helps to write. So I assume it is tedious for others, and truthfully, it often is. ♥ you guys who said otherwise.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Aw, thanks guys for typing "we do" and various kind things about my statement of "who wants to hear that?". I guess the more accurate way of phrasing it would be that I live with myself 24/7 (sadly) and the depression and sheety life circumstances are all the time, for quite a while, and frankly *I* don't want to read about them. I find it tedious to write, even though sometimes it helps to write. So I assume it is tedious for others, and truthfully, it often is. ♥ you guys who said otherwise.

When I'm going through a crappy spell (and I'm just coming out of one that lasted far longer than I wanted it to) I find myself unbearable and tedious and can't imagine that anyone wants to know about anything I'm going through. 

It gets to a point where I have to get selfish, though. I know that either writing about it or talking about it with someone helps, even though I can't imagine anyone caring about me enough to willingly sit and listen, but the reality is that I have some wonderful people that do, some of them here in the forums even. 😊

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

On the subject of full English... how on earth did you guys start thinking beans were a breakfast food?! 

I'm good with everything else (except the mushrooms because mushrooms are the devil's toe jam) but beans? Baked beans? For breakfast? 

No. Just no. 

They are in India: dal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
5 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

On the subject of full English... how on earth did you guys start thinking beans were a breakfast food?! 

I'm good with everything else (except the mushrooms because mushrooms are the devil's toe jam) but beans? Baked beans? For breakfast? 

No. Just no. 

They are in India: dal.

I like baked beans, but I agree with Beth that they are not breakfast food. Actually, though, I'd have a hard time forcing down most of that breakfast except for the toast.  At that end of the day, I eat only what's absolutely necessary to keep the coffee happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BelindaN said:

It helps if the black pudding is from Stornoway.

Aye.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, Cindy Evanier said:

I have had a few days lovely symptoms which I won't go into here but they are par for the course.  I came across this earlier  which resonates with me.  

No photo description available.

I just need a really good sleep followed by some peace and quiet to clear my head. 

 

 

This also resonates with me as well. No matter how healthy someone looks, doesn't mean they don't have some kind of pain that prevents them from doing a normal everyday tasks. Thanks for posting this.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Beans for breakfast is brilliant. What I don't get is when people have, as my SL daughter called them, "American air bread" (i.e. puffy blins). 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   Beans for breakfast is brilliant. What I don't get is when people have, as my SL daughter called them, "American air bread" (i.e. puffy blins). 

As an American I have to ask what the hell "American air bread" is? Photo, please.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beth Macbain said:

As an American I have to ask what the hell "American air bread" is? Photo, please.

17423777-d4e2-4bc4-b9b8-a700cf49e59f.jpg

   American 'pancakes'. 

   Notice how whenever you put 'American' in front of a food word, it basically means 'fake' - American Cheese, American Pizza, American Pancakes ... *huffs*

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

17423777-d4e2-4bc4-b9b8-a700cf49e59f.jpg

   American 'pancakes'. 

   Notice how whenever you put 'American' in front of a food word, it basically means 'fake' - American Cheese, American Pizza, American Pancakes ... *huffs*

Pancakes are delicious! 

They are light and airy (until you cover them with globs of butter and vats of syrup) and then they are the best things on earth!

What are they called in other countries?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

What are they called in other countries?

   We don't call them anything - we make proper pancakes.

pannkaka-ny.jpg

   In Sweden, they come in two forms (roughly speaking); meal pancakes that are unsweetened and has less fat, and dessert pancakes that may contain a small amount of sugar and a lot of butter. Pancakes aren't leavened, and the batter is not much thicker than cream. We also make raggmunk, which is a pancake batter into which you've shredded potatoes - served with lingonberry jam and fried pork. There are at least as many variants of pancake as there are cultures in Europe, plus a lot of regional variants - never heard of anyone leavening their pancakes outside of the US though.

   Northern-African pancakes (such as the Ethiopian/Eritrean Injera) tend to contain different kinds of flour (teff, primarily) and are often made as a sourdough - but still not leavened. Indian pancakes made from rice and bean flour, are also not leavened. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   We don't call them anything - we make proper pancakes.

pannkaka-ny.jpg

   In Sweden, they come in two forms (roughly speaking); meal pancakes that are unsweetened and has less fat, and dessert pancakes that may contain a small amount of sugar and a lot of butter. Pancakes aren't leavened, and the batter is not much thicker than cream. We also make raggmunk, which is a pancake batter into which you've shredded potatoes - served with lingonberry jam and fried pork. There are at least as many variants of pancake as there are cultures in Europe, plus a lot of regional variants - never heard of anyone leavening their pancakes outside of the US though.

   Northern-African pancakes (such as the Ethiopian/Eritrean Injera) tend to contain different kinds of flour (teff, primarily) and are often made as a sourdough - but still not leavened. Indian pancakes made from rice and bean flour, are also not leavened. 

Those are crepes, not pancakes! 

And I want them! Particularly the raggmunk things with potatoes and meat! 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   We don't call them anything - we make proper pancakes.

pannkaka-ny.jpg

   In Sweden, they come in two forms (roughly speaking); meal pancakes that are unsweetened and has less fat, and dessert pancakes that may contain a small amount of sugar and a lot of butter. Pancakes aren't leavened, and the batter is not much thicker than cream. We also make raggmunk, which is a pancake batter into which you've shredded potatoes - served with lingonberry jam and fried pork. There are at least as many variants of pancake as there are cultures in Europe, plus a lot of regional variants - never heard of anyone leavening their pancakes outside of the US though.

   Northern-African pancakes (such as the Ethiopian/Eritrean Injera) tend to contain different kinds of flour (teff, primarily) and are often made as a sourdough - but still not leavened. Indian pancakes made from rice and bean flour, are also not leavened. 

The only thing that makes that look edible are the berries and cream.  It appears to be a very boring omelet, but I would give it a try anyway.  Oncw.  Twice if it tastes good.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
spelling, commas, extra word. The usual

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Those are crepes, not pancakes! 

   Nope, those are pancakes - what you're eating is 'American air bread'!

2 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

And I want them! Particularly the raggmunk things with potatoes and meat! 😋

df102f06-4d7f-474d-99dd-8d54f54b352f.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just relief and lightness for me at the moment 🖤

While starting my new job has been great, they don't pay me until this weekend, and I was left with £5.44 to feed and entertain my kids over the half-term break. I solved that by setting up a Ko-Fi crowdfunder with the provision that any money I received will be rounded UP to the nearest £10 and then donated to Mermaids UK (a charity supporting trans and gender-non-conforming children) when my pay comes in. There were enough donations to cover my cash-flow dilemma and I've since decided to double the total when I donate to Mermaids.

I was still left with the problem of not being able to cover my rent and bills this month due to the costs involved in getting interviewed and updating my certification etc to work with vulnerable people. Since I escaped a very toxic relationship situation back in August I've been living on about £600 a month plus whatever I could raise by doing every trick I could and jumping through every hoop available, not always eating, while fighting off depression and ideation and being haunted by my brother's suicide and my own previous decision which I've been battling with for six years. I didn't think I was going to make it this time.

Last night, I reviewed all my income and expenses. It still wasn't quite enough, but agonisingly close at the same time. Then I had a phone call from someone I didn't speak to for 20 years, promising just enough of a top-up to get me through. When I realised I was going to be ok I just broke down and sobbed, hot rolling tears, until my youngest daughter came and shared the most amazing, loving hug with me xx

I'm going to be ok. And for a while, it seems.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:
31 minutes ago, Orwar said:

17423777-d4e2-4bc4-b9b8-a700cf49e59f.jpg

   American 'pancakes'. 

   Notice how whenever you put 'American' in front of a food word, it basically means 'fake' - American Cheese, American Pizza, American Pancakes ... *huffs*

Pancakes are delicious! 

THAT's a proper breakfast, even before coffee.

10 minutes ago, Orwar said:

 We don't call them anything - we make proper pancakes.

pannkaka-ny.jpg

 

And that's even nicer.  May I come to your house for breakfast? Pleeeease....  😋

(And yes, I agree that "American" cheese is detestable, but that's a different subject.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

And that's even nicer.  May I come to your house for breakfast? Pleeeease....  😋

   Well, we don't serve pancakes for breakfast .. They're more of a lunch or dinner food, traditionally eaten on Thursdays as a kind of half-dessert/half-second-course to pea soup.

rtsoppa-e1481147278695.jpg?resize=1080,8

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LexxiXhan - YOU are amazing. The measly little like button isn't nearly adequate enough for me to express my admiration for you, and for your strength. I'm sort of at a loss for words, but I am in awe of you. 

You ARE going to be okay, and if you ever feel that you aren't, reach out to me any time day or night so I can remind you how really freaking extraordinarily fabulous you are. 

hugs

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

@LexxiXhan - YOU are amazing. The measly little like button isn't nearly adequate enough for me to express my admiration for you, and for your strength. I'm sort of at a loss for words, but I am in awe of you. 

You ARE going to be okay, and if you ever feel that you aren't, reach out to me any time day or night so I can remind you how really freaking extraordinarily fabulous you are. 

hugs

@LexxiXhan and from me too. Such a story. Hugs.xx

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Those are crepes, not pancakes! 

And I want them! Particularly the raggmunk things with potatoes and meat! 😋

Crepes are thin here..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Pancakes are delicious! 

They are light and airy (until you cover them with globs of butter and vats of syrup) and then they are the best things on earth!

What are they called in other countries?

They are also called flapjacks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...