How are you feeling today?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm in some sort of major work funk.  Today I'm back after being off since last Wed and I'm having the hardest time getting back into the work mode. Truth be told, I've been fighting this since the holidays started last November.  I just can't seem to make myself want to do it any more.  I really, really wish I could go ahead and retire.  I think part of the funk is because retirement is finally on the horizon, no more than 5 or so years out, so I'm drooling for it much more these days.  Maybe I just need to change employers - this one has made enough changes in the last 2 years to take a lot of the drive out of me.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm in some sort of major work funk.  Today I'm back after being off since last Wed and I'm having the hardest time getting back into the work mode. Truth be told, I've been fighting this since the holidays started last November.  I just can't seem to make myself want to do it any more.  I really, really wish I could go ahead and retire.  I think part of the funk is because retirement is finally on the horizon, no more than 5 or so years out, so I'm drooling for it much more these days.  Maybe I just need to change employers - this one has made enough changes in the last 2 years to take a lot of the drive out of me.

I'm sure you've thought of this but would changing employers now have any unwelcome effects upon your finances?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'm sure you've thought of this but would changing employers now have any unwelcome effects upon your finances?

Unlikely.  I'm a Database Engineer/Administrator and those jobs are in fairly high demand around here.  I could actually probably get a raise by changing jobs, but I have to get enough out of my funk to get my resume updated and out there.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Unlikely.  I'm a Database Engineer/Administrator and those jobs are in fairly high demand around here.  I could actually probably get a raise by changing jobs, but I have to get enough out of my funk to get my resume updated and out there.

Yes, that's hard when your current job has ground you down.

• Like 2

I'm having a pretty good day except my blood is boiling over the death of Amie Harwick. Well, okay, I'm sad for her death, but I'm infuriated by the way the media is covering it. Go ahead, Google her. She was a PHD, a licensed therapist, and had a pretty remarkable life all on her own merits. 

We should be talking about how women, even therapists, can be duped by homicidal men. We should be talking about how worthless a restraining order is. We should be talking about how to protect women from homicidal predatory men. 

Instead the media has relegated her to being a celebrity's ex-fiance. Because, to them, that is her worth. It makes me want to vomit. Even in death, she doesn't get to be her own person.

Maybe, just flipping maybe, if the media would stop reporting about woman as nothing but current or former possessions of men, we could start to change the damn narrative and talk about what needs to actually be talked about. 

And now I'm getting a headache. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I'm having a pretty good day except my blood is boiling over the death of Amie Harwick. Well, okay, I'm sad for her death, but I'm infuriated by the way the media is covering it. Go ahead, Google her. She was a PHD, a licensed therapist, and had a pretty remarkable life all on her own merits. 

We should be talking about how women, even therapists, can be duped by homicidal men. We should be talking about how worthless a restraining order is. We should be talking about how to protect women from homicidal predatory men. 

Instead the media has relegated her to being a celebrity's ex-fiance. Because, to them, that is her worth. It makes me want to vomit. Even in death, she doesn't get to be her own person.

Maybe, just flipping maybe, if the media would stop reporting about woman as nothing but current or former possessions of men, we could start to change the damn narrative and talk about what needs to actually be talked about. 

I debated between a Like for agreeing sooooo much with what you said and a Sad for your frustration and headache.  Ultimately I gave the Sad and then decided that wasn't enough, so now I'm quoting and explaining why there should also be a Like on the post.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Can't use the sad icon because this makes me angry. The news media no longer understands what news reporting should be.  They treat everything for the ratings.  We really need some conflict of interest legislation and hold these media giants accountable for not reporting accurately. It is a disservice to everyone that it is so hard to learn unbiased facts.

Don't let them make your head hurt though Beth, they aren't worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kali Wylder said:

Don't let them make your head hurt though Beth, they aren't worth it.

It's partly the goofy weather we're having, too. It's like all four seasons in one day right now. 

And @Cindy Evanier, yours is one I want to like to show you my support and understanding, and also the sad emoji because I'm sad you have to live with that. 

We really do need a hug emoji reaction, @Kristin Linden.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Panteleeva said:

I feel like my mother and me are on the edge of short war,and we will end up never talk to each other.

It is hard with parents. We are so close to them in DNA and everything, it's no wonder there are clashes. 

There was war with my own parents, them with each other, me with both of them. I have absolutely no regrets that we did end up never talking to one another again. They give birth to us, but they give a whole lot of other stuff to us too. If a problem cannot be resolved any other way, it can be the best thing to have silence. I had counselling, many years of counselling, before I took the decision. It was the right one for me.

I cannot advise you the best thing to do. Sometimes we are damned if we do something, and damned if we don't :(  But I sympathise, with what you must be feeling right now. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I debated between a Like for agreeing sooooo much with what you said and a Sad for your frustration and headache.  Ultimately I gave the Sad and then decided that wasn't enough, so now I'm quoting and explaining why there should also be a Like on the post.

I feel a whole bunch of emotions too - ended up clicking the like button. We should be able to click as many emotions as we need to on some posts.

4 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Vile vile media coverage on Amie Harwick in USA and Caroline Flack in UK, both preventable and shocking deaths. Every woman on this earth is someone's daughter or sister, or mother, or auntie or friend or ... and men too of course ... and to be reduced to a media commodity is very puke-inducing.  I felt so many different emotions reading your post, I applaud you for wording it so well, but had to click to like, although incredibly sad also, and very very angry with the media's response, and even the way someone gets to update the Wiki almost before the news is out.  (Who even does that?)    

Edited by Marigold Devin
I don't see colours after 11pm UK time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I have had a few days lovely symptoms which I won't go into here but they are par for the course.  I came across this earlier  which resonates with me.  

No photo description available.

I just need a really good sleep followed by some peace and quiet to clear my head. 

I hope you get the peace and quiet that you require, some rest and some good quality blissful sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'm grumpy as I have a mild toothache that is likely going to get worse.  It can't be treated locally as it's half-broken-off and is rotting in the gum.  I really don't want to go to hospital because they're greatly overburdened in the UK but it's inevitable.  Bother.

Get it over with sooner rather than later, if you can. They are only over-burdened with other people in a similar boat to yourself, and the hospital staff are extremely good at what they do - you need the treatment. Imagine how much better you are going to feel afterwards. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
to add a bit more
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I'm grumpy as I have a mild toothache that is likely going to get worse.  It can't be treated locally as it's half-broken-off and is rotting in the gum.  I really don't want to go to hospital because they're greatly overburdened in the UK but it's inevitable.  Bother.

If no dentist will treat you try searching for your nearest dental hospital/school. many many years ago i went to the one in Whitechaple when an infection caused really bad swelling and no dentist anywhere could or would do anything

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If no dentist will treat you try searching for your nearest dental hospital/school. many many years ago i went to the one in Whitechaple when an infection caused really bad swelling and no dentist anywhere could or would do anything

The dentist who did this damage told me I'd have to go to hospital to get it fixed but it's a good suggestion to find out where they are.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 2

Today (well  pre 10 am)  I feel rebellious,  naughty, decadent and stuffed.  I ordered a full english to be delivered.  Something I have scoffed at others doing in the past. (Like seriously, you can't cook a proper full english?)   I had an urge to eat it but my aching body said FU to cooking it myself and it was glorious.   😊

• Like 6

When the chips are down, nothing can beat a full English. Nothing. At any time of day. It helps if the bacon is streaky and golden brown crispy. It helps if the sausages are artisan. It helps if the eggs are perfectly poached. It helps if the black pudding is from Stornoway.

BUT.......you'll feel so much better afterwards.🥓🥘

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

When the chips are down, nothing can beat a full English. Nothing. At any time of day. It helps if the bacon is streaky and golden brown crispy. It helps if the sausages are artisan. It helps if the eggs are perfectly poached. It helps if the black pudding is from Stornoway.

BUT.......you'll feel so much better afterwards.🥓🥘

somebody is a bit posh 😛

I had 2 hour sleep but I'm really upbeat maybe the 1 litter of coffee ...

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.